Do you, along with your town/city, embrace Halloween?

Lights Out 101

Living Deliciously
@Black
Reaction score
First off, I fucking love Halloween and everything about it, Which is why it's a bit shitty to be celebrating it here in Australia where it's only caught on in the past 2 decades or so . It's slowly coming around and people are embracing it along with the decorating, Trick r Treating and social events, but it's still no where near the extravagant lengths that the Americans and Europeans go through this time of year, I'm actually quite jealous. There's also a large group of people here with the belief that it isn't an aussie tradition so it shouldn't be celebrated, Which is not good reasoning imo but whatever.

So, do you personally embrace it and celebrate it along with your town/city of residence? Or do you just skip past it?

I watch horror movies and eat until it hurts. I also provide costume for my child and make certain she is entertained for the evening.

Halloween is odd because it's heavily morphed into a grownup celebration in some ways. Halloween for kids is lame compared to what it was 20+ years go and for adults it's turned into the norm where it's almost weird if you don't dress up.

I’ve never not done something for Halloween. Our neighborhood always passes out candy and almost everyone participates.

It's pretty big here (it is originally a Gaelic Irish tradition, Samhain, merged with Christian stuff after all), and always was when I was growing up with kids parties, trick or treating, toffee apples, games etc... Now that I am in my 20s, for adults it's more about dressing up and another excuse to get really drunk (not that people need one). Wee kids came to my door last night and just said "trick or treat"....instead of singing the song.

I love Halloween. I love everything about it.

Candy everywhere, kids having fun everywhere early, girls dressing extra slutty everywhere later on, cool costumes everywhere. What's not to love? My favorite holiday, besides Doc.

Mixed bag (no pun intended.)
There's a ghetto element where I live so a good deal of Halloween is uncostumed adults showing up on your doorstep with a toddler in superhero pajamas and each of them holding a bag out. Shit like that.

But there's also a college campus and 19-year-old angels, black cats, Rainbow Brites and such are always a welcome element to our community.

I love Halloween. But my friend, who used to throw a huge Halloween bash every year, moved to Texas. So now I just watch scary movies with the wife and pass out candy while eating tons of candy. But everyone around here celebrates it. We get anywhere from 30 to 100 trick or treaters a year.

Yes. I have a 9 year old daughter so we definitely celebrate Halloween. We've already got started with decorations and a Harley Quinn costume for her but we also introduced her to Beetlejuice for the first time last night.

Its my favorite holiday - its the one night of the year that women dress like little sluts, and flaunt the new lingerie they bought for all the world to see- I love Halloween - oh, and candy too!

We don’t have Halloween in the EU.

halloween is awesome because the day after halloween i can get candy 75% off.

It’s basically dead in my town now and has been for years. It sucks because kids are missing out. I’m sure Halloween was f’n awesome for all of us as kids. I’m sure tons of kids still go out in other places but not my city, not anymore. It’s basically become another day for parents to go party n get drunk while their kids stay with a relative or babysitter now. My city is very bad for drugs now too so maybe that has some effect idk. Fucking idiots leave syringes everywhere now. Like EVERYWHERE. It never used to be this way.

Fentanyl is a huge crisis here pretty much. Apparently I now live in one of the biggest drug cities in the country now. Maybe parents just don’t want their kids out at night anymore or it’s because like I said, another excuse for parents to go make it about themselves instead of the kids. They’re really missing out. Halloween was an amazing time for me as a kid. Since I’ve lived in this place (this house), here’s been maybe 3-4 kids at my door in the past 6 years or so. I went out a few years ago with some friends and their younger siblings and there was NOBODY else out. Very unfortunate and just sad to me.

Either people just don’t care about Halloween here or everybody is sketched out by the constant growing use of hard drugs (which is killing people off like flies) and syringes literally everywhere and increased crime rate overall. Used to be the safest city ever but not as much anymore and it’s only gonna get worse.

Halloween must be saved!

/rant

In Chicago, sure.

What I think is retarded is that every suburb has different trick and treating days, usually on some random weekend day before Halloween.

First off, I fucking love Halloween and everything about it, Which is why it's a bit shitty to be celebrating it here in Australia where it's only caught on in the past 2 decades or so . It's slowly coming around and people are embracing it along with the decorating, Trick r Treating and social events, but it's still no where near the extravagant lengths that the Americans and Europeans go through this time of year, I'm actually quite jealous. There's also a large group of people here with the belief that it isn't an aussie tradition so it shouldn't be celebrated, Which is not good reasoning imo but whatever.

So, do you personally embrace it and celebrate it along with your town/city of residence? Or do you just skip past it?

Every day is Halloween in Nola. @Lights Out 101

Back