Do you all agree McGregor has been the most influential fighter in MMA history ??

Seems to me he's influenced fighters to talk more and fight less. I don't consider that a good thing.

I don't think he's really had any influence on fans of the sport. Looking at PPV numbers, he hasn't made a bunch of new MMA fans. He's made a ton of fans personally, but that only helps if/when he fights. When he's not fighting, PPV buys are lower than ever. So where's the influence?

jeuss, mcgregor fans are completely.....

FEDOR, ANDERSON, JONES, GSP. you know, the actual fucking GOATs that also DEFENDED the belt not once but MULTIPLE times

when you say this kind of shit you're spitting on these fighters' legacies

None of these guys have made a fraction of the money Conor McGregor has made the sport, or have a fraction of the global name recognition as McGregor

At the end of the day MMA is a business, most influential fighter is the one whose name is most recognizable and who has made the greatest financial strides for the sport.

Conor McGregor stands peerless in those regards. He's the undisputed MMA GOAT.

He influenced me to like UFC less

<DCrying>

Let’s zoom in on just one aspect of his influence, his persona. Ask yourself this, what % of fighters wore suits before/after Conor? How often was money discussed before/after Conor? How many fighters can you name right now that drastically changed their approach to media? How often was a pre/post fight press conference must-watch tv? Who else could get away with charging ppv for an interview, twice? I can keep going..

He has:
- Entertaining fight style
- Big wins
- 2 title holder
- Biggest PPV events
- Biggest mainstream impact
- 1/2 of sherdog threads being about him

He has not:
- The biggest win streaks
- Title defenses
- The most well rounded style
- Unbeaten record
- Fights right now, very unactive

but thats not what this thread is about (because I know every Conor hater gonna say that)

The thread is about the most influential fighter in MMA history. It is Conor?

Conor-McGregor-on-the-cover-of-Sports-Illustrated.jpg

Conor-McGregor-2016-Cover-Mens-Health-UK.jpg

web1_conor1_7995473.jpg

fe6d27edb41bf4051c4241bfa5b43e77.jpg

conor%20mcgregor%20cod.jpg

ea3cover.jpg

ronaldo-mcgregor.png

35896A0800000578-3654006-Conor_Mcgregor_met_up_with_pop_superstar_Rihanna_after_she_kicke-a-17_1466585778744.jpg

McGregorSchwarz_3366844b.jpg

Conor-McGregor.jpg

drake-mcgregor

conor-obrien-on-conan.jpg

2F0C009B00000578-3352455-image-a-11_1449663522555.jpg

C93laX1XoAAm1An.jpg

geo2.jpg geo.jpg

there are plenty of fighters that you can pick from.
Fedor would be one of the top of my list.
A guy who was able to become the emperor, adored by almost anyone who saw his dominance in pride; respected and accepted as GOAT by 99% of fighters at that time as well, you don't get to become a personal friend of Putin by being obnoxious or dodging title shots.

If you want more names, we got the gracies (obviously). We wouldn't be watching MMA if not for them. I would even add Forrest & Bonnar. UFC wouldn't exist if not for them.

If you want to go in a different direction, like Silva & GSP who were responsible for the huge spark of popularity in US and around the world, you could go with them as well.

If you only want to go with popularity, I would go with Ronda, because not only she opened way for women in the UFC, but she actually had a fucking reign at the top, with multiple title defenses, and outside the cage, (even) Beyonce quoted her stupid quotes showing the level of influence she had.

And beyond that, there were plenty of fighters that were popular beyond the scope of MMA. The Nog brothers for example. Adored in Japan and the father of MMA for all brazilian fighters. You have Wandi, Vitor, Rua, etc... and in US, you have Guys like Randy whom his status in MMA is far beyond what he accomplished in the ring (heck his record is very unimpressive, but his status is as one of the greats mostly for who he was rather than who he beat) among many others...

I mean, If you think of Conor, he got a lot more flash than substance.
Undeserving title shots. No title defenses. Forfeited both belts. Lost to journeymen that had no camp, etc.
He is obnoxious and loud beyond everything, but that does not mean influential in MMA. Matter of fact, most fighters hate him, and he did NOTHING good for the game. If anything most of the things he changed were for the worse, and this is why I don't consider him to be (even close) to the top of the list.

Last edited:
he obviously is, anyone who doesn't agree is straight up delusional.

I don't know about most influential, but probably the biggest star MMA have ever seen.

I think the only way he has been influential at all is in establishing on an entirely different level the idea that WWE antics can lead to big money. He's a good fighter who doesn't want to fight, so in the realm of actual fighting, I don't see him as a legend at all. A gatekeeper choked him out and revealed an extremely limited ground game. He's a legendary smack talker though, and that got him paid some big bucks. And his success in that aspect absolutely has influenced the approach many others will take in the future. Sad in my opinion.

He has:
- Big wins
- 2 title holder
- Biggest PPV events

He has not:
- Title defenses
- Unbeaten record

but thats not what this thread is about (because I know every Conor hater gonna say that)

web1_conor1_7995473.jpg

ea3cover.jpg

ronaldo-mcgregor.png

35896A0800000578-3654006-Conor_Mcgregor_met_up_with_pop_superstar_Rihanna_after_she_kicke-a-17_1466585778744.jpg

Conor-McGregor.jpg

drake-mcgregor

C93laX1XoAAm1An.jpg

He influenced non-drawing fighters to wear shades and try their hands at cringe worthy trash talk for the last two years. How exactly does that constitute as being the most influential fighter in MMA history when it took place in the last 8% of MMA's history?

Royce Gracie - showed the effectiveness of BJJ.
Dan Severn/Don Frye/Mark Coleman - showed the effectiveness of ground and pound.
Marco Ruas - Leg kicks and foot stomps.
Randy Couture - Dirty boxing.

I know I'm forgetting some fighters, but their influence on MMA can still be seen to this day.

If you're speaking purely from a monetary perspective, then all McGregor did was copy pro wrestlers and Floyd Mayweather.

Citing media-sourced evidence has about as much value as showing Ronda Rousey's 8x10's.

Conor wouldn't even be around if it weren't for the legends before him. He's a flash in the pan who will be forgotten. What legacy does he have? History will not be kind to his antics, no title defenses, getting his ass kicked by Floyd, etc.

Do you mean towards the mainstream? Brock, Rhonda and McGregor are probably about equal.

LOL- No. He is not even the most influential fighter right now. The most influential MMA fighters, both right now, and ever, retired years ago.

6217936c06b59e5bc793a04c32ad8f7c.jpg

They changed the way fighting was done. Forever. Conor McGregor spends hours and hours practicing a certain way because of these 2. Either that, or getting choked out. So does every other fighter.

Some people make a bigger ass out of themselves than they otherwise would because of Conor. Hardly an earth shattering contribution.

He has:
- Big wins
- 2 title holder
- Biggest PPV events

He has not:
- Title defenses
- Unbeaten record

web1_conor1_7995473.jpg

ea3cover.jpg

ronaldo-mcgregor.png

Conor-McGregor.jpg

drake-mcgregor

C93laX1XoAAm1An.jpg

He’s obviously influenced you to come out of cloest. Does that count ? Because in case you haven’t realized. You’re acting like a 13 year old girl that’s discovered a new boy band.

You’ve just posted on a public website, a whole bunch of pics of another male. Tell me... When you were 13 did you ever imagine that as an adult you’d become so obsessed with another man ? He’s consumed your life. Most of us here aren’t like that. And have no desire to be.

I don’t care who you want to have sex with. I really don’t. But why the fuck do you have to ruin these boards with your obsessive desire to be with another man ? We don’t fucking care.

How about you grow up. Go to a gay bar. Or a gay website. Do and say whatever the fuck you want. But leave us out of it. Is that too much to ask ? People like myself are here for the sport of mma. Not for the reasons you’re here.

Please just go away. Or get some help or something.

No. It was Brock. He was the one who took the ufc from a niche sport to mainstream sport.

Unquestionably. Now everyone wants to be a trash talker, everyone wants to chase "Money Fights", and everyone wants to jump through divisions and win multiple world titles. Some even want to jump over and have boxing matches with professional boxers, too.

Conor wasn't the first to do all of this, but he was the latest and it's no coincidence that there's been a surge of fighters who are now interested in doing all of the same things.

Back