Do you all agree McGregor has been the most influential fighter in MMA history ??

jeuss, mcgregor fans are completely.....

FEDOR, ANDERSON, JONES, GSP. you know, the actual fucking GOATs that also DEFENDED the belt not once but MULTIPLE times

when you say this kind of shit you're spitting on these fighters' legacies

They defended and were great champions, love them all. But they are very far to be most inlfuential than Conor.

why negative ?
The lack of title defenses, leaving to fight Mayweather, priveldged title shots, 2nd Diaz fight, and fighters now following in his foot steps.
I know it's not his fault and certainly take nothing away from his talent, but I think the UFC landscape will settle down when he's gone for good.

so, the answer is yes

I agree Ronda was big too.
Yes but also no.

Like Ronda, Conor appealed mainly to casuals. But casuals don't mean much. Actual MMA fans enjoyed his fights, saw his limits, and thus had reasonable expectations.

The narrative turned south when Conor decided to deny other fighters the opportunity to fight for his belts. Inexcusable. And so he was stripped twice.

So most famous? Maybe. For a moment. But most influential? No, lol. GSP and Fedor and the old greats are the most influential. It's through them that the current crop of fighters was inspired to fight.

Conor's main contribution is ... talking.

He has:
- Entertaining fight style
- Big wins
- 2 title holder
- Biggest PPV events
- Biggest mainstream impact
- 1/2 of sherdog threads being about him

He has not:
- The biggest win streaks
- Title defenses
- The most well rounded style
- Unbeaten record
- Fights right now, very unactive

but thats not what this thread is about (because I know every Conor hater gonna say that)

The thread is about the most influential fighter in MMA history. It is Conor?

Conor-McGregor-on-the-cover-of-Sports-Illustrated.jpg

Conor-McGregor-2016-Cover-Mens-Health-UK.jpg

web1_conor1_7995473.jpg

fe6d27edb41bf4051c4241bfa5b43e77.jpg

conor%20mcgregor%20cod.jpg

ea3cover.jpg

ronaldo-mcgregor.png

35896A0800000578-3654006-Conor_Mcgregor_met_up_with_pop_superstar_Rihanna_after_she_kicke-a-17_1466585778744.jpg

McGregorSchwarz_3366844b.jpg

Conor-McGregor.jpg

drake-mcgregor

conor-obrien-on-conan.jpg

2F0C009B00000578-3352455-image-a-11_1449663522555.jpg

C93laX1XoAAm1An.jpg
Influential, yes. But the number one spot easily belongs to CB Dollaway.

Being mainstream does not = influential to mma (sport, skills, “evolution”)

He has influenced salary of his opponents and increased revenue may have trickled to high salaries for other fighters but he quickly won the 145 belt and quickly won the 155 belt and just as quickly has vanished from earth

If anything he’s had a negative influence by making fighters want to sit out more and wait for money fights

Royce or Tito etc.

Would give it to someone would put it on the map or through the dark times.

who is then ?

In terms of making the UFC to become a household name through entertainment/promotion, he is the most prolific influencer of that.

In terms of influencing fighters and fighting styles (including Conor's) you do realize Mixed Martial Arts combines wrestling, boxing, kickboxing, karate, ju-jitsu, judo, etc, right?...
Gracies, Bruce Lee, a lot of others....even GSP are greater influencers to fighters and fighting styles.

I'd bet more "casuals" know what the UFC is than what "MMA" is. Conor definitely helps drive that brand recognition.

Last edited:
Being mainstream does not = influential to mma (sport, skills, “evolution”)

He has influenced salary of his opponents and increased revenue may have trickled to high salaries for other fighters but he quickly won the 145 belt and quickly won the 155 belt and just as quickly has vanished from earth

If anything he’s had a negative influence by making fighters want to sit out more and wait for money fights

Came here to post this.
100% agreed.

He influenced the UFC, the promotional aspect, the mainstream - but not Mixed Martial Arts and it's practices.

The lack of title defenses, leaving to fight Mayweather, priveldged title shots, 2nd Diaz fight, and fighters now following in his foot steps.
I know it's not his fault and certainly take nothing away from his talent, but I think the UFC landscape will settle down when he's gone for good.

I agree he could have been much more positive for UFC/MMA, but prefered to be bigger himself.

But he is still a positive influence. If you make McGregor dissappear completely from the beginning, UFC is not better without him.

Conor could have been even more positive influence for UFC/MMA? Yes. But a little of Conor was better for UFC than nothing at all.

Being famous isn't necessarily the same as being influential.

Just like how the most famous musicians might not be the most influential ones.

jeuss, mcgregor fans are completely.....

FEDOR, ANDERSON, JONES, GSP. you know, the actual fucking GOATs that also DEFENDED the belt not once but MULTIPLE times

when you say this kind of shit you're spitting on these fighters' legacies
The question wasn't who's the best, it was who's the most influential and Conor's more relevant than all of them combined.

I agree he could have been much more positive for UFC/MMA, but prefered to be bigger himself.

But he is still a positive influence. If you make McGregor dissappear completely from the beginning, UFC is not better without him.

Conor could have been even more positive influence for UFC/MMA? Yes. But a little of Conor was better for UFC than nothing at all.
I don't disagree completely, because he can't control who copies him. Fighters picking their fights, champs looking up and down weight classes, money fights...it all became bigger than the sport because it worked for him. And now everybody is a trash talker, not just a handful of fighters.

100% Agree as any sane person should. Conor should run for President as well.

The question wasn't who's the best, it was who's the most influential and Conor's more relevant than all of them combined.
If the question is who was the most influential, then it's definitely not Conor.

People look to established consistent greats for inspiration.

Conor's chief contribution was swaggerjacking and yakking.

That's just how it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back