Do you actually care about PPV numbers?

I agree, TS. I watch MMA for fights. People thought Anderson Silva vs Nick Diaz was going to be the fight of the century and on that same card Tim Boetsch vs Thales Leites was a better fight by far.

Maybe the fight turned out better but idk anyone who is a hardcore fan that misses a fight like that. All the fights casuals want are ones that hardcore fans watch anyway. Maybe they aren't the dream matchup for us, but, nobody misses the fights.

Who were these people? Perhaps idiot Diaz Ball Lickers, but no one else.
No names are coming to mind at the moment but I promise many were saying that. Hell, I remember a thread was made with the TS claiming it was the best fight they had ever seen lol.

The survival of the sport depended on ppv sales in the early days. Could have been dead around UFC 9, because ppv providers were dropping the events due to political pressure. PPV sales have always been a bellwether for the health of the sport. If you want to understand how the matchmaking sausage is made, you have to pay attention to ppv and gate numbers. As an example, Joe Silva used to set up tv cards so the gate would cover the fighter salaries. They also limit the number of fighters with ppv cuts from appearing on one ppv card.(which is not really a big problem these days since they rarely hit the ppv threshold)

I honestly give zero shits about PPV buys or TV views. I know that the more views mean better revenue blah, blah, blah. Honestly, that shit is for the UFC brass to deal with, I got other shit in my life to worry about.

Maybe the fight turned out better but idk anyone who is a hardcore fan that misses a fight like that. All the fights casuals want are ones that hardcore fans watch anyway. Maybe they aren't the dream matchup for us, but, nobody misses the fights.
It was certainly a fight I watched yes, but I wasn't clamoring for it and didn't get too invested in the build up.

No. But it's shoved in my face every day like my boyfriend's shaft, so it's hard to ignore.

{<jimmies}

YRozg.gif

No, dont own UFC shares, i dont even pay for them, so i dont care one bit about PPV numbers.

If I was a fighter I damn sure would care what numbers my PPV does. If I sell a lot of PPVs then I have leverage when it comes to negotiations. Of course PPV numbers don't matter to fans, but they do matter to the sport and to the fighters. If the events don't sell then there will be no more events. If you as a fighter don't get people to put money to watch you fight then your skills don't matter when it comes to negotiations. This is a business and how much money you generate for the company matters a whole damn lot.

It was certainly a fight I watched yes, but I wasn't clamoring for it and didn't get too invested in the build up.

No doubt, but, if it appeals to casuals and makes sure the UFC stays afloat, then I’m fine with them having those match-ups as well.

I was a fan before PPV numbers even broke 100k and I fucking loved it. I think they only people who should really give a fuck is WME, we are just fans, who fucking cares if DJ sells 120k PPV, its irrelevant.

I am here for the fucking fights, not for people to bicker about how fighter A sells more PPVs then fighter B.
I dont, but I wont lie I do enjoy reading Sherdog members comments on ones expertise on owning and running a business (especially a million dollar industry) when they have yet to leave moms basement.

I care in the sense that the fighters in the main and comain may get paid more in the future for "bringing in the views." I want dem boys to get paid

I care on no other criteria, except other criteria that I'm not thinking about that someone will inform me abt to make me feel stupid.

Not on a personal level, but if the number keep going bad it will be bad for the fans in the long run.

The only reason I care about PPV numbers is because I want the sport to succeed. That being said, whenever Colby Covington headlines a card I hope he does Mighty Mouse numbers.

The fewer PPV buys, the less crowded the sports bar is when I watch the fights. To me, that's a good thing.

nope, dont care

but i also dont care about the numbers in my bank account, checks, bills, scale, or anything else... so....

I love watching MMA. I could care less about how much fighters are paid, how much the org makes, nor do I care about PPV numbers.

But I will say this...PPV numbers can give fans some sort of gauge on how the UFC is doing, and I hope PPV numbers are good enough to keep the biggest organization in MMA to continue putting on fights, both on Fox and on PPV.

It reminds me of how moviegoers have become so into following the earnings of films, and pay the kind of attention to the weekly list of box office results that once only Hollywood insiders did. But I suppose anything with concrete numbers can be turned into an alternate form of spectator sport...

Obviously I don't want the sport to wither away for lack of sufficient interest, and the PPV numbers are a method of checking its pulse. But I worry if we let them dictate policy too much, if we chase after the high score with little care for how the game is played, then the UFC may stop resembling the thing that intrigued me in the first place.

Back