do we need a TUF: Heavyweights?

karatefoo

they trained me wrong, as a joke!
@Blue
Reaction score
The heavyweight division is getting to the point where the few highest-ranked will always get the shot because the rest below around rank 6 or so can't string together enough wins, or in the case of some other higher ranked fighters, get injured all the time.

Is it time to get a season for heavyweights? They can all get signed for all I care even though most HWs I have seen at local shows are slow and predictable.

How many of this lot from 8 years ago fought for the title?

James McSweeney, Brendan Schaub, Justin Wren, Jon Madsen, Roy Nelson, Darrill Schoonover, Matt Mitrione, Mike Wessel, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, Abe Wagner, Demico Rogers, Wes Sims, Scott Junk, Wes Shivers, Marcus Jones, Zak Jensen.

Another HW season would be about as successful.

James McSweeney, Brendan Schaub, Justin Wren, Jon Madsen, Roy Nelson, Darrill Schoonover, Matt Mitrione, Mike Wessel, Kevin "Kimbo Slice" Ferguson, Abe Wagner, Demico Rogers, Wes Sims, Scott Junk, Wes Shivers, Marcus Jones, Zak Jensen.

lol I forgot wes sims was on that

Schaub did okay for a bit. Nelson had a heck of a career. Mitrione has delevoped into a pretty dangerous guy. Madsen got cut too soon and basically quit fighting. Mcsweeney was interesting on the world stage.

It didn't do great but make it for a title shot and allow anyone to join including former ufc or tuf fighters and you may have something.

I'm not opposed to another HW season but I think they should look for more Schaubs and Mitriones, inexperienced big guys converting from other sports and to get them into the UFC not to give them a beating in a title shot. It's not like the other organisations are full of HWs that the UFC can bring in and give the UFC HW Champ a decent fight.

Nelson is 9-12 since losing to Arlovski in EiteXC and 9-10 in the UFC with 2 of those wins against Schaub and Mitrione...... He's fought 6 former or future UFC HW champs and a LHW champ and lost to them all but did beat a former interim belt holder. I'd call that average at best, if he'd trained who knows he might have been a MW champ as at 6 foot tall and with that gut he'd not a real HW. The UFC should have cut him, put him on the Biggest Loser show and resigned him as a MW ;o)

I understand your point, heavyweight is always thin on talent, but there aren't many seasons of TUF where we've seen guys become challengers. I had to look it up to be honest and after season 5 with Maynard, Diaz and Gamburyan there isn't another title challenger for eight seasons and that's counting Tony Ferguson who technically hasn't received his shot yet.

They should make a HW season with a puprose to find talented Light Heavyweights - LHW is garbage, and in the last LHW season most guys dropped to MW.

They should make a HW season with a puprose to find talented Light Heavyweights - LHW is garbage, and in the last LHW season most guys dropped to MW.

I am sure there would be a few that drop to LHW. Seems like it's due to hitting the extremes of the bell curve around LHW and HW (and on the opposite end, BW and fly). In my experience, most of the male fighters I have met fight around 155 or 170.

I'm not opposed to another HW season but I think they should look for more Schaubs and Mitriones, inexperienced big guys converting from other sports and to get them into the UFC not to give them a beating in a title shot. It's not like the other organisations are full of HWs that the UFC can bring in and give the UFC HW Champ a decent fight.

Nelson is 9-12 since losing to Arlovski in EiteXC and 9-10 in the UFC with 2 of those wins against Schaub and Mitrione...... He's fought 6 former or future UFC HW champs and a LHW champ and lost to them all but did beat a former interim belt holder. I'd call that average at best, if he'd trained who knows he might have been a MW champ as at 6 foot tall and with that gut he'd not a real HW. The UFC should have cut him, put him on the Biggest Loser show and resigned him as a MW ;o)

It wouldn't have to be for the title I just think it could help the division. Regardless I think it would help and LHW needs help too so if people dropped that wouldn't be such a bad thing. Roy fought nothing but killers in the UFC if you don't think he had a nice career here idk what to tell you. I'd say above average due to longevity and the opponent level. KOin'g Struve, CC, Mitrione, Kongo, etc is no joke. He's got a lot of losses in the UFC but look at his losses. JDS, Mir, Werdum, Stipe, Cormier, Hunt, Overeem, Barnett, Lewis, and Volkov. No cup cakes and most of them have been champ or are currently in contention.

The heavyweight fights on the ultimate fighter were pretty entertaining.

UFC needs new LHW and HW fighters. TUF is a great way to introduce new fighters. Who fucking cares if the guy is 0-0 former truck driver/football player. It's fucking TUF!!! They will knock each other out. If the new guys doesn't have the skills then they get fed to the veterans. The point is, UFC badly needs new fighters to fill in the roster.

Yes. Anything that establishes a HW contender aside from Ngannou that hasn't been around for 10+ years is a good idea.

These days it isn't even a problem if he drops to LHW right away, since that's a wasteland too.

God no. Enough of the HWs in the UFC can't even go 1 round without getting tired... I don't need to see a whole season of that.

Back