Do they make Coax to HDMI converters?

Discussion in 'Video Game Forum' started by The White Mamba, Mar 18, 2017.

1. The White Mamba Blue Belt

The White Mamba
    So I have my Sega Genesis that uses a Coax plug but my problem is that newer TV's don't have a coax input on them. Do they make coax to HDMI cables or anything like that? Thanks.

2. Dinkin_Flicka So easy it's hard

Dinkin_Flicka
    It's been a while since I hooked up something that old, but it has the RF switch box that outputs with the male coax end right? If I remember correctly that was just one of options for hooking up, there should also be an option for AV out on the Sega that newer TV's still have, at least mine still does but it's probably 7~8 years old. Not sure what a newer 4k TV has for input options.

The White Mamba likes this.
  3. jefferz Gold Belt

jefferz
  4. Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

Da_Rev_Ong
    What model Genesis do you have? Based off of that, then there might be a variety of answers.

Model 1:
    [​IMG]

Model 2:
    [​IMG]

or Model 3:
    [​IMG]

The easy answer is that you can get a A/V composite cable (Red, White and Yellow plugs), or S-Video cable for each (although most newer TVs have abandoned S-Video as an input). You just have to get the right cable depending on your Genesis as the connections in the back aren't all the same.

Then there's the RGB route. That is a bit more expensive, but none of the systems require modding to output RGB (they do that natively). If you go RGB, you get the best picture quality when paired with a good convertor/scaler but it's f'n expensive (read more than $400) to do it correctly.

5. Plissken Silver Belt

Plissken
    Yes. It's better off getting a digital to analog converter box from a company like Extron, Analog Way, Kramer, Crestron, etc. You can find good ones cheap on eBay, but go for one by a decent brand and not some cheap Chinese one. I'd also not get one from TV One as they have bad customer service.
    I wouldn't just get a dongle.

6. The White Mamba Blue Belt

The White Mamba
    I have model 1 I actually just got a av cable in the mail a few days ago but haven't been able to try it out yet. Also got a copy of gunstar heroes yesterday can't wait to play it.

7. Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

Da_Rev_Ong
    Cool. If you want better stereo sound (because the Sound out of the AV from the back is atrocious due to how the I/O port ins't shielded well) you can run a Stereo 3.5mm Male Jack to Stereo RCA cable (like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=665) from the earphone jack in the front to your TV Audio In or to a receiver. Otherwise, you end up getting a lot of noise from the power supply, which is located right next to the A/V out.

8. MUSTKILL Purple Belt

MUSTKILL
    ?
    My 2016 4K HDR Samsung TV has an RF input.
    You should just get an HTPC, setup an emulator (SNES, GEN, PSX, N64, PS2, etc.), and profit.

9. Da_Rev_Ong Green Belt

Da_Rev_Ong
    A lot of newer TVs are coming in "Tunerless" setups that don't have the RF/Coaxial Input. They're following the trend that a lot of people neither have cable, over air signal or don't desire to have either. Hook it up to an ethernet cord or a HTPC and you're on your way.

But, that really doesn't help him. I mean, he obviously wants to use his console. The emulator mention is rather superfluous at this point.

jefferz likes this.
  10. The White Mamba Blue Belt

The White Mamba
    Yeah I'm not a big fan of the current generation of gaming. Haven't touched my Xbox one in months. So the problem im having is that the picture on my TV gets randomly blurry to the point where you can't see anything like every 60 seconds. It goes back to normal like 6 seconds later but repeats the process. I never had this problem with the old RF Switch/Coaxial cable.