Do the women share some responsibility?

F

franklinstower

With all the sexual harassment scandals going around it has got me thinking. I dont often hear anyone besides the mentally deranged woman haters and rape apologists on this site discussing seriously how much responsibility women share for trading sexual favors for success in Hollywood.

My wife has a friend who's son is very good looking. He was invited to go to New York and be a model and had instant success with the promise of lots of money as this was a respected modeling agency. After a very short time it came clear that modeling nude, even though the pictures did not show the nudity, and possibly getting into other sexual situations were a part of the culture. Most of the male models were pressured into modeling naked even though they were not nude shots. My wife's friends son declined the success and the nudity came home and went to school to build a real career. He did not sell his soul at the crossroads for success.

So my thoughts are that when women and men willingly trade sexual favors for a role in a movie dont they share some responsibility for it, even though there is an unequal power relationship involved? Don't they have a choice and didn't they make it when they said yes to those advances? Could they not have given in and done something else with their lives? I am thinking that is part of why so many women, especially major stars dont come forward as they dont want the humiliation of admitting they slept their way into fame and fortune.

Also why is the responsibility of the actors themselves rarely discussed and ALL of the blame put on the directors and such?

This thread is NOT about blaming women who were raped, or otherwise physically intimidated into trading sex for success as that is an entirely different matter. Anyone defending that behavior will be immediately reported to the mods.

Cliffs-- just read the bold italics.

Edit- just for clarification part of what motivated me to make this thread is the context of some news programs Ive listened to that seem to be blaming men totally even for women who willingly complicit in sexual transactions for position.

Last edited by a moderator:
They aren't as bad as the girls that pretend to be comatose to live out their football player fantasies without being called a whore for doing it. The fake coma rapes are bad. Guys need to be smart enough not to play with the idiots, of course.

If refusal of the advance is reasonable, they should do it more often. But the culture needs to change more. They think anything goes in their world and that attitude seems to be the only way to make it. It's trash. Far left, souless, fake good guy badge, trash culture. That's more of the problem.

depends on the situation, but I know this. I don't personally have routine 'work related meetings' in my hotel room after midnight, that's for damn sure

No, they don't. Just like women in short skirts don't deserve blame for being raped.

No, they don't. Just like women in short skirts don't deserve blame for being raped.

Well, there IS a difference in things that are different.

Some guy (or girl) saying "wanna f*ck?" When they have an ability to give a particular job is not the same as forcibly raping a women. In one, the girl has the choice to say no, the other she doesn't. See a difference there?

If a woman sells herself as a sex object, she should not be surprised when a man treats her like one.

So my thoughts are that when women and men willingly trade sexual favors for a role in a movie dont they share some responsibility for it, even though there is an unequal power relationship involved? Don't they have a choice and didn't they make it when they said yes to those advances? Could they not have given in and done something else with their lives?

Just so everyone is clear, this guy is not asking if the women are to blame for being harassed or assaulted. He is asking if a professional shares some blame if they choose to willingly engage in sexual acts with somebody more powerful than them in order to further their career.

We could switch the roles and say, what if a man sleeps with his female boss in order to get a job promotion and it is the same thing.

Am I right here, Franklin? I want to make sure I understand the question, because a little tweaking of the question completely changes the answer.

Well, there IS a difference in things that are different.

Some guy (or girl) saying "wanna f*ck?" When they have an ability to give a particular job is not the same as forcibly raping a women. In one, the girl has the choice to say no, the other she doesn't. See a difference there?
What is the TS saying they have a responsibility for? It seems he is saying they bear responsibility for the assaults/harassment, and rape because of their contribution to the culture.

Here is the problem. If a young up and coming actress says "no" to sex for role, then she has no chance. So in this case I do not put any of the blame on Women because what other choice do they have in the scenario?

If a woman sells herself as a sex object, she should not be surprised when a man treats her like one.

This is a completely classless thing to say, and not very becoming of a "Christian."

Back in my day when you had sex with someone to further yourself financially you were a prostitute. Times are a changing.

So my thoughts are that when women and men willingly trade sexual favors for a role in a movie dont they share some responsibility for it, even though there is an unequal power relationship involved? Don't they have a choice and didn't they make it when they said yes to those advances? Could they not have given in and done something else with their lives?

It's an adult industry so yes.

Now child actors are another story, but it's likely many a parent is making the decision for them, unfortunately.

What is the TS saying they have a responsibility for? It seems he is saying they bear responsibility for the assaults/harassment, and rape because of their contribution to the culture.

It is impossible to read my post and hear this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so everyone is clear, this guy is not asking if the women are to blame for being harassed or assaulted. He is asking if a professional shares some blame if they choose to willingly engage in sexual acts with somebody more powerful than them in order to further their career.

We could switch the roles and say, what if a man sleeps with his female boss in order to get a job promotion and it is the same thing.

Am I right here, Franklin? I want to make sure I understand the question, because a little tweaking of the question completely changes the answer.

That is exactly what I am saying. I think some people are so politicized that reading comprehension goes out the window.

Here is the problem. If a young up and coming actress says "no" to sex for role, then she has no chance. So in this case I do not put any of the blame on Women because what other choice do they have in the scenario?

They have the choice to enter a different career just like the young man did in the OP.

With all the sexual harassment scandals going around it has got me thinking. I dont often hear anyone besides the mentally deranged woman haters and rape apologists on this site discussing seriously how much responsibility women share for trading sexual favors for success in Hollywood.

My wife has a friend who's son is very good looking. He was invited to go to New York and be a model and had instant success with the promise of lots of money as this was a respected modeling agency. After a very short time it came clear that modeling nude, even though the pictures did not show the nudity, and possibly getting into other sexual situations were a part of the culture. Most of the male models were pressured into modeling naked even though they were not nude shots. My wife's friends son declined the success and the nudity came home and went to school to build a real career. He did not sell his soul at the crossroads for success.

So my thoughts are that when women and men willingly trade sexual favors for a role in a movie dont they share some responsibility for it, even though there is an unequal power relationship involved? Don't they have a choice and didn't they make it when they said yes to those advances? Could they not have given in and done something else with their lives? I am thinking that is part of why so many women, especially major stars dont come forward as they dont want the humiliation of admitting they slept their way into fame and fortune.

Also why is the responsibility of the actors themselves rarely discussed and ALL of the blame put on the directors and such?

This thread is NOT about blaming women who were raped, or otherwise physically intimidated into trading sex for success as that is an entirely different matter. Anyone defending that behavior will be immediately reported to the mods.

Cliffs-- just read the bold italics.
All of that might have some validity if it weren't for the fact that women face this issue in every profession.

Back