Do sauna suits help burn calories?

kangarate

White Belt
Reaction score
I've been using a sauna suit jacket, top when doing bag work. It helps me to break a heavier sweat. I break a great sweat in a 30 minute session. What I'm wonder is, does it help me to burn more calories by wearing the sauna suit, then if i don't wear it. I know its water weight shed, but im just trying to increase the amount of calories burned in my training sessions. I am looking for a knowlegable opinion.

Its primarily only water. Its a tool for cutting weight for weigh-ins, but not losing weight for the long term.

Good question abotu the calories tho..Anyone have a def answer?

i am aware of the quick cutt, but i just want to know if a higher amount of calories are burned with the suit than without.

Someone on the forum said you also burn more calories due to the higher body temp and therefore higher metablic rate.

I'm not sure if its that significant tho.

Why sacrifice your health for a few calories...

Sauna suits are a professionals tool for 5-10 pounds of weight that you can't get off any other way.

You do burn more calories, but it makes the work exponentially harder.

in heavy sparing sessions i get hotter and sweat more than when i use the sauna suit during bag work so i was also thinking it was good for conditioning the body for that kind of extremely exhausting conditions.

you do burn more calories, but i was wondering if this is offset by you fatiguing quicker and not being able to do as much or at a not as intense level as you normally would.

I dont realy fatigue physically through my rounds, its more of getting bored after a half hour or 40 minutes continuous.

I would definitely not use a sauna suit. It's primarily for making you lose water weight, it sucks the nutrients out of your body, and it fatigues you. Overuse of it can be hazardous to your health.

Essentially sweating takes calories. Turning fat into water takes a lot of calories, so the more you sweat the more calories you burn. For something light like bag work I would assume it helps burn more calories instead of fatiguing quicker since as you said you can keep going.

well if you just workout (run) in them they are only going to help you loose water weight.

but if you actually train in them they will help your muscles get loosend up and also help you cut wieght. I run in mines then train in them after im done running.
but this is for wrestling.. I havnet acutally needed it for BJJ yet.

You do burn more calories, but it makes the work exponentially harder.

Your telling me

I've been trying to strip weight and make life harder for myself at training for next week.

Been wearing the damn thing for 2 weeks now and 4 beast rounds on the pads are A LOT harder then they should be.

edit- I started out just wearing it for a am run, but because I'm a idiot trained the pads part of the sessions in just the top (with a shirt or something underneath)

We know that they are a professional tool to help cut weight but do they also help to burn more calories?

yes, yes they do. you will burn 4 to 5 times the calories than with out one if you feel dizzy that is just it working keep working out

I would only use it before a weigh in. I don't see why bother training with it. It's almost entirely water weight. If you get so tired, there goes technique and the ability to focus. You burn more calories in the COLD, because your muscles and body work to generate heat. Sweating is your way of cooling (sauna suit= water). So, you're dehydrating yourself and you could overheat too... it's really an extreme measure to make weight and shouldn't be used every time you train.

You burn more but in turn your body is working exponentially harder. The risk is not worth the reward unless you need it for a quick fix to suck weight. Try not to use it.

Back