Do rash guards help with the prevention of staph ?

Kalma

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Specifically folliculitis?

I was wondering if the guys with more/longer body hair find their hair follicles have more chance of being opened ?

And if yes would a rash guard help in anyway?

I have been looking more and more into staph and it's treatments and peoples theories behind them. I know the rash guard theory is along shot but if there is less hair to pull I was thinking it may make it harder for the hair follicles to be pulled open.

So to counter the opening of the hair follicles I was thinking maybe a long sleeve rash guard could help ,given their would be a gi over the top of it in the case of gi classes.

Having never worn a rash guard I was wondering ,while they appear skin tight do they move much? If you have a gi over the top does the gi freely slide over the rash guard when grappling or does it tend to stick and create friction on the body ?

are rash guards just rash guards or are there certain things one needs to look for. I know people who surf and they just opt for generic ones, does the same apply for MA's?

I think some claim to help with stuff.

Check the Rupture rash guard or Hayabusa site. I think both of these say something about it.

The name "rash"guard comes from surfing, not from anything matbourne.

I think the thinking is that if you wear a rash guard then you have less skin contact with other people's sweat, or something along those lines. I could be way off though

I will say this: When I first started jiu jitsu I never used a rash guard during training. I just wore my gi top with nothing under. After a couple months I started using a long sleeve rash guard and my skin suffered FAR less irritations.

less skin to skin interaction, so it would reduce the risk of infection or irritation alot.
I always wear a rashguard.

I will say this: When I first started jiu jitsu I never used a rash guard during training. I just wore my gi top with nothing under. After a couple months I started using a long sleeve rash guard and my skin suffered FAR less irritations.
Yeah, but also wash your rash guard after every training session.

This.

Less small zits, less scratches, etc.

Also, I wear tights under my shorts/gi pants. This means less abrasion on my knees.

Other than staph, etc, it just makes rolling more comfortable when you wear a rash guard. Especially on no gi days. I don't know how some guys just wear a cotton t-shirt and shorts. I always wear one, though I do go short sleeve under my gi.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your skin is, to the best of my knowledge, impervious to staph naturally. Abrasions, scratches, etc create "gaps*" in the armor and provide opportunity for staph to infect. A rash guard, which helps reduce skin that is exposed to scratches, mat burn, etc will help preserve the integrity of the skin.

*edit apparently c hinks is forbidden lol

I doubt it. Staph is a bacterial infection. So unless you have a rashie that is completely sterile and air tight, I think bacteria could get in there.

Rash guards can help, but do not give yourself a false sense of security by wearing it. Good hygiene is still your best bet in preventing skin disease.

I doubt it. Staph is a bacterial infection. So unless you have a rashie that is completely sterile and air tight, I think bacteria could get in there.

I think it beats skin to skin or skin to mat contact everytime.

You can still get it but as a protective measure i think it makes it less probable.

Yeah, but also wash your rash guard after every training session.

Obviously! It comes off dripping in sweat, and if you leave it a day before washing it it stinks. Who in the world doesn't put on a clean rashguard every time?? :eek:

Obviously! It comes off dripping in sweat, and if you leave it a day before washing it it stinks. Who in the world doesn't put on a clean rashguard every time?? :eek:

That's what I was thinking... lawlz. Most days my rash-guard is so wet that it's nearly to get off! You have to use the "pull-halfway-up-the-back-and-wiggle-technique" just to get it off! No way I would put that on the next day. That would be rank as sh**.

less skin to skin interaction, so it would reduce the risk of infection or irritation alot.
I always wear a rashguard.

yup.

not to mention, I like that extra bit of warmth!

also, as for it sticking or anything, it wont. I have been wearing rashies for the almost 2 years under my gi with ZERO problems. feels WAY better

It helps that it's not skin to skin but rashguards are porous - it breathes and sweat/water transfers in and out. Be clean and wash yourself don't depend on any kind of clothing to really help you with any kind of skin infections.

staph is no joke. (trust me ive had it) take every per caution possible. just like every one else has stated good hygiene keep your cuts,scabs,scrapes, bumps etc covered up i like to use waterproof band-aids they work great and stay on through training.
And my biggest piece of advice is if you even think you might have a ring worm or staph infection let your coach know, so that they can let every one know and give a extra good scrub down to the gym and stay home for a couple of days till it heals up.
good luck to you all.

i wish they would keep the mats cleaner at my school i doubt they ever clean them.

I always take a hot shower after training, I hope that helps.

Back