Do people really think Weidman is the superior fighter?

While I don't think so, it's not totally out of the question, after all, Weidman won the first round fairly convincingly.

that said, I think weidman needs to work on his conditioning and cardio if he wants to keep the belt

why is that?
2/3 of his submission wins come from strikes to the face and his positional game is rather atrocious. His only display of pure BJJ dominance was in the first Chael fight. That is his only pure BJJ submission victory, and the sub happened after being controlled for 23 minutes. Not exactly a fantastic display of jiu jitsu, but it eventually got the job done I guess.

Silva never sweeps guys. He never passes guard. He never scrambles. He gets stuck in guard until the round ends or he pulls off a submission. That is an extremely rudimentary BJJ game considering he's a BB.

yes he does

Anderson doesn't have better BJJ, but I know you are just trolling. For a second, you had that guy fooled into thinking you were one of the thousands of thoughtless idiots who worship Anderson like he is unbeatable and superior at everything.

Anderson doesn't have better BJJ, but I know you are just trolling. For a second, you had that guy fooled into thinking you were one of the thousands of thoughtless idiots who worship Anderson like he is unbeatable and superior at everything.

not trolling, i just think he has better bjj. how does that mean i think he is unbeatable and superior at everything? i dont nuthug any fighter

2/3 of his submission wins come from strikes to the face and his positional game is rather atrocious. His only display of pure BJJ dominance was in the first Chael fight. That is his only pure BJJ submission victory, and the sub happened after being controlled for 23 minutes. Not exactly a fantastic display of jiu jitsu, but it eventually got the job done I guess.

Silva never sweeps guys. He never passes guard. He never scrambles. He gets stuck in guard until the round ends or he pulls off a submission. That is an extremely rudimentary BJJ game considering he's a BB.

he didn't beat hendo with strikes to the face

I love Silva, but he's got a ton of delusional fans. Even when Fedor lost it wasn't this bad. Weidman knocked him out. Weidman was winning the fight up until the KO. Silva mounted almost no offense, aside from 3 or 4 leg kicks. Albeit, they were hard ass leg kicks.

All questions will be answered during the rematch. I cannot fucking wait.

These thread is a dream come true! I've been trying to convince Sherdog to accept the results of a fight. Fighters have their wins discredited all the time, because some fans can't accept being wrong. I rooted for Anderson and fully expected him to win. He lost convincingly, so Weidman is the better fighter until proven otherwise.

Maybe that was a fluke, but we KNOW that Weidman can put Anderson in bad positions and finish him. I THINK Anderson can do the same to Weidman, but there is not yet any evidence of that. When comparing fighters, we must use evidence rather than personal feelings.

We'll have to wait and see if this is truly a long-term change in Sherdog's fight analysis. I find it funny that many of you were perfectly fine picking Marquardt, Hendo, Chael, or Vitor to win rematches against Anderson. Now that Anderson has lost, you're convinced that the better fighter wins every time, without exception. But it wouldn't be Sherdog if we actually attempted to be objective.

he didn't beat hendo with strikes to the face
He rocked him on the feet, Hendo fell down, Anderson capitalized by punching him more in the face then submitted him while he was still hurt. This is MMA and Anderson has major power, but punching dudes in the face and taking their back isn't BJJ.

Christ Widemen is the goat. How can you not agree that he is better than Anderson? He is 10-0, and still young. Widemen has some of the best striking the sport has ever seen. I personally can't wait to meet him, he's been my idol since I was a little boy. If you look at Anderson's record, you would know he fought a bunch of NOBODIES. It shouldn't be that surprising that we are in the era of the GOD himself, my main man WIDEMEN!

Stop nuthugging silva, your boy is going to get choked out in part 2 soon. I just can't believe anyone can like silva.. he takes advice from a movie actor and needs to have his hands down to stop from getting manhandled to the ground. Anyway im done ranting.

Widemen for president bitches.

i think anderson has better bjj

Based on what? What's his top game like?

In their fight he controlled Anderson on the ground while landing solid GNP, passed his guard and then had a submission attempt.

how/why is weidman better?

Weidman is a prodigy, so to speak, in BJJ. Training 6 months and qualifying for ADCC's, even though Galvao won and somewhat shrugs Weidman off, the best in the world, have praised his BJJ. He easily passed through AS guard. His wrestling background is a great help obviously, he's very dangerous in the scramble. Roger Gracie, you know, the best competitive BJJ practitioner ever had this to say in regards to Weidmans skills: "I think [Weidman] is very, very dangerous. His grappling is at a very high level. He can submit any world-class grappler. I think he’s really that good. He can tap anyone, even me."

That's not to say AS has bad BJJ, it's saying Weidman is better.

I agree with the OP. I think Anderson was bored, he could hit Weidman whenever he wanted, he thought Weidman couldn't hurt him ... Anderson made a mistake but I think he's far superior to everyone in his division.

This is why as much as I enjoy Anderson, I hate most threads involving him. Like every popular fighter, he has some insane fans. Like children, Anderson's craziest fans throw massive tantrums whenever they think Anderson is being celebrated too much. So then Anderson fans go out of their way to praise him more, and then his haters get more aggressive.

This is also how it goes with GSP, Rampage, Nick Diaz, Rashad, and many others. Haters are definitely more at fault, because even when the crazy fans aren't acting out, haters will start threads with the sole purpose of antagonizing them. It's just absurd. I think a lot of today's "musicians" that I hear on the radio are terrible, but I'm not going to antagonize their fans and go on massive internet rants about them. I just turn off the radio, but I guess that's too complicated for some folks.

He rocked him on the feet, Hendo fell down, Anderson capitalized by punching him more in the face then submitted him while he was still hurt. This is MMA and Anderson has major power, but punching dudes in the face and taking their back isn't BJJ.

alot of great bjj guys set up subs with strikes

Christ Widemen is the goat. How can you not agree that he is better than Anderson? He is 10-0, and still young. Widemen has some of the best striking the sport has ever seen. I personally can't wait to meet him, he's been my idol since I was a little boy. If you look at Anderson's record, you would know he fought a bunch of NOBODIES. It shouldn't be that surprising that we are in the era of the GOD himself, my main man WIDEMEN!

Stop nuthugging silva, your boy is going to get choked out in part 2 soon. I just can't believe anyone can like silva.. he takes advice from a movie actor and needs to have his hands down to stop from getting manhandled to the ground. Anyway im done ranting.

Widemen for president bitches.

At least Silva's the only one with crazy fans on his bandwagon. I would hate for this to become some sort of trend in MMA.

Back