Do people really think Messi and Ronaldo were bad in the World Cup?

mommas homeboy

Women with dicks are women too!
Reaction score
A lot of articles are talking about how they’re not the top guys any more.

But the thing is, both of them had teams that weren’t very good. Being a GOAT doesn’t mean much when you’re team isn’t that good. It means it’s much harder to score. It also means you have less games to do amazing things in because your team won’t go as far.

It’s a lot like LeBron James’s situation. Almost everyone agrees he’s the best player alive, even though his team got swept. But in the case of Messi and Ronaldo, the same credit isn’t given. Soccer is not like many sports, where one guy can take over a game because there are 11 players on a team. Without other great players, the GOATS are very unlikely to get past the knockout stage.

Am I wrong. Should one guy be able to take over a soccer game when he has mediocre help, and the other team is much better (as a group)?

Don't know, but I had a buddy claiming Messi played better than Ronaldo which I disagreed with.

Soccer is a lot like hockey, the best player might not have a huge impact on the game, at least in the stat box so they think they didn't play well.

Its seems like alot of the good teams underpreformed, its more the team and managers fault than just one or two players

Examples?

It’s a lot like LeBron James’s situation. Almost everyone agrees he’s the best player alive, even though his team got swept. But in the case of Messi and Ronaldo, the same credit isn’t given.

The same credit is given. Pretty much everyone agrees they're still 2 of the best players in the world. One world cup doesn't change that.

Am I wrong.

About popular opinion, yes.

Messi and Ronaldo are both surrounded by a lot more talent on their club teams. Obviously they're the best in the world but having a team with a superstar in the World Cup historically doesn't mean much if you're not Brazilian or German.

Ronaldo performed slightly better than Messi...

We still have to see Messi produce something outside that Barcelona system though, hes been surrounded with absolute legends since his 1st pro year, and even last world cup when they got to the finals he had couple of pretty bad games but a way better functioning team than this one... Its a team game afterall, way more so than basketball...

It makes sense if Ronaldo didn't play well since they have bunch of mediocre players.

Messi on the other hand literally have full of world class players in his national team who play in top European clubs, there should be no excuse and he kinda got exposed. Unlike Ronnie who proved he can play in any team and any system (Primera Lig, Premier League, Laliga, CL and internationals), Messi is only good around Barcelona players.

It makes sense if Ronaldo didn't play well since they have bunch of mediocre players.

Messi on the other hand literally have full of world class players in his national team who play in top European clubs, there should be no excuse and he kinda got exposed. Unlike Ronnie who proved he can play in any team and any system (Primera Lig, Premier League, Laliga, CL and internationals), Messi is only good around Barcelona players.

Or it could also be because members of each national teams do not train that often with each other. That will affect each team differently.

I also read an article that the national Argentina Football federation is a complete mess. Not sure if it explains why Argentina has been shit even with Messi and an all-star cast but it could be a reason...

Lionel has Kun Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain, Paulo Dybala. But their mid field is weak. They should put Dybala back there with Di Maria instead of leaving on the bench.

But the thing is, both of them had teams that weren’t very good. Being a GOAT doesn’t mean much when you’re team isn’t that good. It means it’s much harder to score. It also means you have less games to do amazing things in because your team won’t go as far.

It’s a lot like LeBron James’s situation. Almost everyone agrees he’s the best player alive, even though his team got swept. But in the case of Messi and Ronaldo, the same credit isn’t given. Soccer is not like many sports, where one guy can take over a game because there are 11 players on a team. Without other great players, the GOATS are very unlikely to get past the knockout stage.

Am I wrong. Should one guy be able to take over a soccer game when he has mediocre help, and the other team is much better (as a group)?
Everyone believes Lebrons the best player alive? Thats bullshit. MJ is still considered the greatest by more people.

Messy is garbage when not surrounded by a stacked team and Ronaldo played like his usual self.

We still have to see Messi produce something outside that Barcelona system though, hes been surrounded with absolute legends since his 1st pro year, and even last world cup when they got to the finals he had couple of pretty bad games but a way better functioning team than this one... Its a team game afterall, way more so than basketball...

Ummmm, he came within literal inches of winning the World Cup in 2014. If Higuain or Palacio don't fuck up their laughably easy chances, he goes out as champion and the tournament's best player.

Argentina's all-time leading scorer, made 3 straight finals, losing two on penalties and the other in extra time. I'd say he's "produced" plenty.

He's inhuman with Barcelona and just a mortal with Argentina though. Still averages out to be the GOAT though.

Its seems like alot of the good teams underpreformed, its more the team and managers fault than just one or two players

The key word is "team". Argentina and Portugal really didn't have a plan beyond hope Messi and Ronaldo carry them (and I think they did about as much as they could).

There was a over reliance on those two

Only people that think Ronaldo isn't a top guy are American pundits and Da Speeit.

I will never budge from my position that a World Cup is required to be considered the greatest of all time, barring exceptional circumstances such as a great club player playing for the American Samoan national team.

Messi plays for Argentina, and Ronaldo plays for Portugal. They've had plenty of help, but they simply don't stack up to Pele and Maradona.

Back