Do people know what they saw?

esdoornblad

How soon is now?
@Brown
Reaction score
Its been more than 2 weeks since the event went down, with an outcome consistent with the predictions of essentially all people with a connection to, and experience in, mainstream boxing. Still, I see evidence that some folks (who are trying to give McGregor a gold star for showing up) don't fully understand what happened strategically, or what they saw, technically. For example, I have seen more than a few guys referring to a pull counter by Floyd as a blow landed by McGregor. In other words, there is strong evidence that those without boxing skill or experience saw a different fight than did casual spectators. Of course, all people gain some insight after they actually start training. My daughter noted -- as her boxing skills improved -- that "I notice so many subtle cues now when people don't know what they're doing". I think the same is true of this fight. The more you know about boxing, the more awkward and outclassed Conor looked in the fight.

Marcelo Garcia would beat Conor in a BJJ match.

Conor would beat Marcelo in a fight.

Yet Floyd Mayweather totally outclassed Conor in a boxing match. You know, boxing, the one that pays something.

Sure, but this would be a more relevant comment if Conor was dominating MMA with BJJ. We have elite BJJ fighters in MMA, already, who have dominated largely based off of that skill (never exclusively in any kind of developed era, but still largely). McGregor is elite in MMA largely based off of the skill with his hands, yet it's turned out he's not really worth a whole lot in the boxing ring. Maybe this suggests that if a lot of elite boxers translated to MMA with some cross-training (which is never going to happen as boxing, unlike professional grappling, actually pays significant money), they'd see some very significant success.

As for a fight, McGregor and Mayweather had one. McGregor was soundly whooped in a fight where Mayweather fought rather charitably (it was a boxing fight, but if you don't think that's a fight, well, then step in the ring sometime). If we're talking an MMA fight, then yeah McGregor likely wins soundly. A "real" fight? Well, shit, who knows what could happen then. I've seen a lot of things happen in "real" fights.

Sure, but this would be a more relevant comment if Conor was dominating MMA with BJJ. We have elite BJJ fighters in MMA, already, who have dominated largely based off of that skill (never exclusively in any kind of developed era, but still largely). McGregor is elite in MMA largely based off of the skill with his hands, yet it's turned out he's not really worth a whole lot in the boxing ring. Maybe this suggests that if a lot of elite boxers translated to MMA with some cross-training (which is never going to happen as boxing, unlike professional grappling, actually pays significant money), they'd see some very significant success.
Suddenly the boxers need to "cross train"

(it was a boxing fight, but if you don't think that's a fight, well, then step in the ring sometime)
The same could be said about pillow fighting, arm wrestling, BJJ, etc.

Boxing is light years away from real fighting compared to MMA.

If we're talking an MMA fight, then yeah McGregor likely wins soundly. A "real" fight? Well, shit, who knows what could happen then. I've seen a lot of things happen in "real" fights.
Suddenly the street is a magical land of mystery and mystique

WHooOOOOoOOOooooo KNOOOooOOWWWSsss WHOOoOOoOoO WIllLllLL WINNNNnNnNnN OOOoOoOOOOO OOooOOOOOOOOO

6a0133ec490e97970b017ee46b39b1970d-800wi

Last edited:
See that just it. You don't get $100M for playing checkers or streetfighting ... or punching wrestlers.
By that logic any endeavor which would result in the gain of a said amount of money would require that it be held on equal ground with all others of the same footing

Apparently at a much higher level than yourself
You are using the reflexive pronoun yourself incorrectly. The correct response would have been:

"Apparently at a much higher level than you."

which is a shorter form of

"Apparently at a much higher level than you do."

The reflexive pronoun yourself should refer to the pronoun you. For example,

"Did you make that mistake yourself?"
"Can you feed yourself?"
"You yourself said Conor would win."

Its been more than 2 weeks since the event went down, with an outcome consistent with the predictions of essentially all people with a connection to, and experience in, mainstream boxing. Still, I see evidence that some folks (who are trying to give McGregor a gold star for showing up) don't fully understand what happened strategically, or what they saw, technically. For example, I have seen more than a few guys referring to a pull counter by Floyd as a blow landed by McGregor. In other words, there is strong evidence that those without boxing skill or experience saw a different fight than did casual spectators. Of course, all people gain some insight after they actually start training. My daughter noted -- as her boxing skills improved -- that "I notice so many subtle cues now when people don't know what they're doing". I think the same is true of this fight. The more you know about boxing, the more awkward and outclassed Conor looked in the fight.

Exactly so.

But now you also understand what wrestlers feel like when they watch a superior wrestler dominate a fight with beautiful technique and sherdog melts down with complaints about how the wrestler just won because he's "strong" and the rules are rigged in his favour and the more skilled guy got beat by a guy who didn't want to fight.

You are using the reflexive pronoun yourself incorrectly. The correct response would have been:

"Apparently at a much higher level than you."

which is a shorter form of

"Apparently at a much higher level than you do."

The reflexive pronoun yourself should refer to the pronoun you. For example,

"Did you make that mistake yourself?"
"Can you feed yourself?"
"You yourself said Conor would win."
I lowered the level of grammatical accuracy because you complained about it in my previous post...

I lowered the level of grammatical accuracy because you complained about it in my previous post...
No you didn't. You tried to smarten up your language by using a reflexive pronoun, but you messed up.

No you didn't. You tried to smarten up your language by using a reflexive pronoun, but you messed up.
You complained my language was too "smart"...so I used the common vernacular...then you complained that it wasn't grammatically accurate.

If you really wish to go down the grammar road, the use of the reflexive pronoun after "than" has been used since Shakespeare...to make note of it as a point of grammatical derision is overly prescriptive.

You complained my language was too "smart"...so I used the common vernacular...then you complained that it wasn't grammatically accurate.

If you really wish to go down the grammar road, the use of the reflexive pronoun after "than" has been used since Shakespeare...to make note of it as a point of grammatical derision is overly prescriptive.
qGhehOW.jpg

TS is right, I have so many close mates who are just impossible to talk to about this fight.

They cannot get around the idea that he didn't do very well.

The stuff we hear like "he did better than Pacquiao" is just mind blowing.

Paragraphs, motherfucker,...

But yeah you're right. As someone who doesn't know shit about boxing, after watching that thing I thought "Oh. That was what they meant by circus".

Props to Floyd the businessman for putting on an act and pretending he was actually fighting.

See that just it. You don't get $100M for playing checkers or streetfighting ... or punching wrestlers.
What is just it? You didn't refute his statement all you did was comment that one made more than the other. So I guess you're agreeing with him and talking to yourself

Back