Do people actually shower twice before training and after? | Page 3

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Nooob, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    The only time I would say you should shower immediately before training is if you work in some really dirty industry, like a mechanic or similar and you are going to train straight from the job. We have some gasoline/petroleum refineries here and there was a guy at the place I used to lift and he reeked of diesel gas when he came to lift after work. I definitely wouldn't have wanted to train BJJ with him lol

2. 2008 Green Belt

That or if you had explosive diarrhea a couple of hours before training or someone vomited on you if you work in the healthcare industry, then yes, shower before training. Its common sense really.

3. dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

dmwalking
    I shower between rolls.

JagRoss likes this.
  4. GordoBarraBJJ Gold Belt

GordoBarraBJJ
    After training yes.

Before, nope. From what I've read your body has bacteria that help fight off other peoples cooties. Unless you're one of those people who don't use pit stick, don't wipe your ass properly then please do - at the very least a quick rise off of your SWASS.

5. aries Red Belt

aries
    I rolled with a guy who smelt a bit of BO, not terrible but noticeable. I thought about whether I should say something but I elected not to. Then I noticed the same issue the week after, but with someone different. That's when I figured it wasn't the other guy who smelt it was me! I did some investigation and it was actually my gi that smelt. This despite the fact that I wash it after every training session. But the problem was I washed on a 30 degree C wash which obviously wasn't doing the job of washing out the stale sweat. So I wash it on 40 and accept that it might shrink more.

And to answer the original question I do a desk job so don't smell too much but if I do then I'll just give my pits a rinse and we'll all good.

6. Vile White Belt

Vile
    Showering too much, can make skin too dry for some people which in turn can lead to rash or other skin conditions.

7. sb413197 Red Belt

sb413197
    A full shower before training is probably a bit excessive although wiping your reeking buttocks off with a damp paper towel or something might be a good idea. Smelly butt can get a bit hard to train with

After training, I usually just wipe my face off over a sink and wash my feet and hands.

8. Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

Dogstarman
    Only Reddit weaklings do shit like that. If I worked in the office all day I may have no time to shower before, realistically. If I worked out or worked outside all day for the love of my training partners, I'll rinse off and soap my body. I mean you need to think about your time management. So what are you going to do? Not train because you can't shower before class or just go to class especially if you work in an office environment. If you work construction or any other type of sweaty job then yes make it a priority to shower before class.

9. Matt4786 Gold Belt

Matt4786
    Personally, I don't like showering too soon before training. I'll do it the morning of. I want enough of my normal skin flora to be there to fight off anything nasty that wants to latch on. I shower immediately afterwards to try get rid of any microbial hitchhikers. I wash my gis before every session, but wash my belt maybe 1-2 times a week. I try not to shave on training days because I don't want bacteria to enter through micro-cuts.

10. Striderxdj Brown Belt

Striderxdj
    I will do a quick 5m shower rinse before training if I was sweating really bad at work.

11. LoneLynx Blue Belt

LoneLynx
    I always shower after, sometimes I shower before too because I train after work and sometimes after a long day I feel a bit ripe. Also, on the weekend I often won't shower until I go to the gym. Like my 11am class on Sunday, typically I just roll out of bed and go to the gym, so yeah I'll shower before I train. Typically it's a super quick shower where I just wash my feet and underarms.

12. Oshime2 you were too beautiful for this world

Oshime2
    Shit like this should get you a lethal injection.