Do Kyokushin guys kick with the shin or instep in competition?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's been conflicting reports. Some claimed that they mainly kick with the instep... other the chin.....

Set the record straight, Kyokushin-Kais. What are you mainly drilled in?

Both are taught and used. Instep is for beginners and learned first, then you move on to the shin. I always assumed its to get it into the head of beginners to stretch out their instep properly and not let their foot flap around (focusing only on the shin), because if you do, you will hurt them if you hit with it.
It is really more of a matter of personal preference and which range you are at. And even then, if you hold the foot correctly, it does not matter if you misjudge the range and hit with the instep instead of the shin.

As a loose rule, after we get over the beginner training, we drill more shin to leg and body, and more instep to the head. In formal (walking in line kicking air), they are identical, since we stretch out the instep either way.
But really, noone cares which way you do it if you can do it effectively.

Both are taught and used. Instep is for beginners and learned first, then you move on to the shin. I always assumed its to get it into the head of beginners to stretch out their instep properly and not let their foot flap around (focusing only on the shin), because if you do, you will hurt them if you hit with it.
It is really more of a matter of personal preference and which range you are at. And even then, if you hold the foot correctly, it does not matter if you misjudge the range and hit with the instep instead of the shin.

As a loose rule, after we get over the beginner training, we drill more shin to leg and body, and more instep to the head.
But really, noone cares which way you do it if you can do it effectively.

Thanks for claring it up. Does the kicking mechanics differ depending on if you use the instep or shin? I guess it does, right?

Also, when performing kata, do you guys revert to the old school ball of the foot?

Thanks for claring it up. Does the kicking mechanics differ depending on if you use the instep or shin? I guess it does, right?

Not really. Its more or less the same. Maybe a bit more snap-then-return when using instep and followthrough when using the shin, but it not a hard rule and depends on target and situation.

Also, when performing kata, do you guys revert to the old school ball of the foot?
I assume we are only talking about round kicks now.
We kick roundkicks with the ball of the foot too. It is taught as a separate formal technique. But its not as popular in fighting. Some japanese fighters excel at doing it, but even among them its few. Some guys even kicks with the tsuma saki (point of the toes. Is not commonly taught in kyokushin, but floats around as a esoteric-oldschool technique) -but that variation is REALLY rare in fighting.
In Kata it depends on what the kata says it should be. There is no free choice there.

Last edited:
I assume we are only talking about round kicks now.

Yes. I could never find a way to kick with the ball of the foot in free moving ITF Taekwondo sparring, and our instructor advices instep for sparring, ball of the foot for the street (probably more a one shot- deal).

Yes. I could never find a way to kick with the ball of the foot in free moving ITF Taekwondo sparring, and our instructor advices instep for sparring, ball of the foot for the street (probably more a one shot- deal).

If you cannot pull it off against a resisting opponent in sparring, you cannot pull it off against a resisting opponent in the street. Dont even try.
When the adrenaline really starts to pump, stick to the basics that you are very certain about. anything complicated will fail miserably.

But some guys can kick with the ball of the foot without problem. Im not one of them, my toes are not flexible enough. But they are out there and good for them. one more effective weapon in their arsenal.

If you cannot pull it off against a resisting opponent in sparring, you cannot pull it off against a resisting opponent in the street. Dont even try.

The difference is that in the street, if threatened and I stand in a static position, let's say perfectly positioned to the side, I can chamber and kick him and land it beautifully, and he probably won't know what I'm doing.

In free sparring we are both constantly moving, and there I find it terribly impractical because of the long range nature of TKD fighting.

I Im not one of them, my toes are not flexible enough.

I have the same problem. The instructor claims that you can stretch them, but I haven't been able. I usually hit the mitts with my toes (ouch..) or it looks just goofy

The difference is that in the street, if threatened and I stand in a static position, let's say perfectly positioned to the side, I can chamber and kick him and land it beautifully, and he probably won't know what I'm doing.

In free sparring we are both constantly moving, and there I find it terribly impractical because of the long range nature of TKD fighting.

If you are on the street and he stands still and dont rush you to brawl (streetfights are not skilled exchanges, but "get in and wave those fist fast"), you could probably just walk away. but the problem is not stances or immobile opponents, it is the adrenaline rush that will leave you trembling and incapable of doing stuff you would not think twice about in the dojo or in the ring. adrenaline is stupid. when it kicks in for a real fight, it also robs you of fine motor skills.

but the problem is not stances or immobile opponents, it is the adrenaline rush that will leave you trembling and incapable of doing stuff you would not think twice about in the dojo or in the ring. adrenaline is stupid. when it kicks in for a real fight, it also robs you of fine motor skills.

Yeah, I know what you're saying but that all depends on if I get scared. I found depression eases the adrenalin, but the problem is I get almost too dull then.. The best is a mixture between pissed and depressed which I've been from time to time. But really deep down in depression, I don't trust myself at all.

Yeah, I know what you're saying but that all depends on if I get scared. I found depression eases the adrenalin, but the problem is I get almost too dull then.. The best is a mixture between pissed and depressed which I've been from time to time. But really deep down in depression, I don't trust myself at all.

Being scared or not have nothing to do with the effect of adrenaline.

Being scared or not have nothing to do with the effect of adrenaline.

You do realise that adrenalin increases power, not decrease it? Night and day in power when striking a mitts, if I'm calm or pissed. I'm a bit concerned about your medical claims here..

I have a medicine student and a black belt who confirms it as well. I've asked him why my power increases so much when I'm pissed out of my mind, and my technique does not falter, mind you.

Back