Do fighters who were robbed perform better or worse in rematch?

J

Julius_Caesar

Not just robberies but close fights the judges gave to the wrong fighter. Do you think the majority of fighters perform better or worse in a rematch after losing a controversial decision?

You go in there with a game plan, you do enough where you THINK you've won but the fight is given to your opponent. You watch the fight with your trainers afterwards confused as to how your opponent won. How do you think that effects the fighter and his team mentally? Wouldn't it make them change their game plans in the rematch which will make them go outside of what's natural to them and have them perform worse? And then there's also a chance of a controversial loss breaking the fighters spirit.

Yes I'm making this because of the Roman Gonzalez fight not to take anything away from either fighter. It just brought up this subject for me and reminded me of some other fights in the past.

To name a few examples:
Floyd vs Castillo
Ward vs Kovalev
Srisaket vs Roman

Feel free to add any others

Why have you listed a fight that went to the right fighter?

Agreed I thought Srisaket beat Chocolatito the first fight even after the BS point deduction
This thread is troll bait surely. He could've made the list less obvious.

50/50

Some examples of guys doing better and some of guys doing worse

Depends on how well their head is bolted on I suppose. But even but cases like Ortiz tend to be fine with close calls. It’s the wide losses they can’t seem to stomach.

I think Kovalev is kind of an outlier. His first loss to Ward really stuck in his craw.

Though I’m running on 3 hours sleep and been in a car accident today, so I might be talking crazy.

Though I’m running on 3 hours sleep and been in a car accident today, so I might be talking crazy.

If you bet the farm on Billy Joe Sanders to unify the MW titles you may want to reconsider.

Last edited:
Why have you listed a fight that went to the right fighter?
I did say clearly and put in capitals that fights where a fighter THINKS they won. I wasn't coming on here to debate on who we think won or lost. All those fights I mentioned have arguments from fans on both sides.

Depends.

For every Marquez vs Pacquiao, there's a Gonzalez vs Rungvisai (spelling...)

Back