Do fans have a responsibility to the "integrity of the sport"?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Degen Gambler, Jun 19, 2017 at 11:47 AM.

1. Degen Gambler Silver Belt

Degen Gambler
    Does a fan have a responsibility to not buy a fight to send a message to the UFC that they don't want gimmick fights? (Bisping/Hendo or whatever).

The way I see it is the hardcore fans will complain about matchmaking but buy the fights anyway. I know that's what I do. The casual fans will only buy when the main fight has names they know. So the UFC can sell fights to pissed off hardcores who will begrudgingly buy and to casual fans and have no consequence for shit matchmaking. I don't see a reason for the UFC to change unless the hardcore fans step up and make their voices heard by refusing to watch/buy ppv or buy tickets to the cards that have bad match ups.

2. Coconut Joe Philadelphia all over the World- Benard Hopkins

Coconut Joe
  3. Thesnake101 Chramed belt

Thesnake101
    Obviously, but it's up to the UFC to actually put a stop to that. A lot of fans want dumb shit, doesn't mean the UFC has to give it to them.

Also, didn't Bisping vs Hendo 2 do shitty numbers too? Pretty clear that nobody wanted that, not hardcore nor casual fans.

4. ClckwrkOra Green Belt

ClckwrkOra
    MMA is like any business. It understands one thing.

If fans don't like something, the message promoters hear comes from the feet.

Everything else is just noise to the Dana Whites of the world.

Typrune Goatley likes this.
  5. Organic Damage καλλίστῃ

Organic Damage
    Hardcore fans in every type of entertainment always forget they are just a vocal minority.

The integrity of the sport isn't important to the casuals, who are the majority to which the UFC markets and targets the product.

6. BSquared Blue Belt

BSquared
    No. The fans have no responsibility to the sport, outside of watching the fights they want to watch and ignoring the fights they don't.

7. Stained Class Metal Gods

Stained Class
    [​IMG]

Because, I ate at Mcdonalds a few days back. Doesn't mean I owe them shit. I bought a burger. It was alright so, I'll likely get another someday. But, if I get a craving for Wendy's, or BK...

Fuck McDonalds.

CRuck1980, Mohawk Banditó and lsa like this.
  8. Typrune Goatley Orange Belt

Typrune Goatley
    I watch most of the PPVs at bars. I only buy like 1 or 2 PPVs at home every year and usually the only reason is because i am tired amd I don't feel like going to the bar.

But yes, I do feel we need to speak up and voice our dismay of certain matchups and ideas that we don't like. We are the audience and we also dont like to see hard working fighters get screwed and taken advantage of.

I wish more people spoke out and wrote to the UFC to protest Werdum/Reem 3. Nobody wants to see that shit. It would be so much more exciting to see both guys fighting a fresh new opponent

9. SenseiJim Orange Belt

SenseiJim
    Not in the slightest. The fans keep the ufc afloat and not the other way around..

10. mjmj Brown Belt

mjmj
    Hand to hand combat is first and foremost an entertainment business. It's a sport second. And a distant second at that.

11. savemgs Brown Belt

savemgs
    When did we forget that MMA is just pro wrestling done real. Come on it's always been the carnival get over it.

12. FlyingKimurabar Silver Belt

FlyingKimurabar
    Not really these days. With Conor & Ronda gone, Hardcore fans are the main source of the UFC profit. They don't really got anyone to bring in the casuals.

13. Siesta Purple Belt

Siesta
    You have to read the fine print. Integrity of the sport, means what's best for the UFC's bottom line.

14. Roop Holstry Black Belt

Roop Holstry
    I've pretty much given up on buying cards. I used to buy about half of the ppvs but now I either go to the bar or stream it. The WME era and WMMA headliners pretty much ruined it for me.

I don't think we are responsible, especially because there are not enough of us to make a big difference. More than half the hardcores already don't buy ppvs anyways because we are broke basement dwellers obviously

15. Mohawk Banditó Orange Belt

Mohawk Banditó
    I used to joke that if they made the cage 3 times bigger and threw steel chairs in, and had a match between Jones and GSP vs Silva and Machida where the first pair to get out of the cage wins, fucking shitloads of people would watch it. I might even watch it. (wouldn't pay for it though, I still vote with ma dollars, damnit)

They still shouldn't fucking do it though.

16. Darric Green Belt

Darric
    I wouldn't say that your run of the mill fan has the responsibility of maintaining the sports integrity. They certainly have the power to steer the sport in almost any direction. Steer with your viewer ratings and your wallets, people!

Unfortunately, a big portion of the sports integrity is entrusted to some slime ball mother fuckers. Then there is USADA, if you care about that aspect.

17. Gabe Saturdays are for the Boys

Gabe
    The fans have a responsibility to actually pay for the fights and not stream them like a bunch of broke asses.

18. VAfan Silver Belt

VAfan
    i'd love to say yes. if someone could start a meuvement to boycott a particularly batshit main event or PPV, you could get enough people on board to influence the numbers so that they might think twice about trying it again in the future.

the only thing they care about is bottom line at this point, and that is the only way to influence their decisions.

19. TheAmericanGazelle Blue Belt

TheAmericanGazelle
    Responsibility isn't the right word, but the UFC will respond to incentives, just like any other organization that cares about the bottom line.

IngaVovchanchyn likes this.
  20. IngaVovchanchyn Steel Belt

IngaVovchanchyn
    Lol. No. I'll buy whatever fight I want to see.

The way I see it, many so called hard core fans don't buy fights at all. This sport is aimed at casuals because casuals pay for it.

Those that do buy a particular card want to watch the fights on that card. So let them. And stop moralizing.