Do any of you play while high

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I used to do adds for like 3 days and record tons of shit that I dont even remember. I'd look back at it and couldnt believe i actually did it. I get pretty inspired on pot too but my friend plays like poop when he's doped up. I played on oxycodon that stuff the dentists give you after getting your wisdom out and it didnt really change anything. Its just so fun to listen to music on the green stuff too. cokes good for playing too. I m clean now and my musics alot different. hows it for you?

Have you ever seen the back of a $20 bill
on weed

Don't really get high at all so no.

I play like absolute shit when I'm high or drunk.

No surprise to me honestly.

I used to smoke weed and play guitar a lot. I found it helped with creativity. Also, it allowed me to really buckle down and run through all my exercises, something I wouldn't do as well sober. I don't smoke anymore though.

I used to smoke weed and play guitar a lot. I found it helped with creativity. Also, it allowed me to really buckle down and run through all my exercises, something I wouldn't do as well sober. I don't smoke anymore though.

This was my experience also. I made my best progress on guitar in the years that I was getting high on the regular.

I feel like I'm better when I'm playing high, but my sober self always questions whether it just sounded good because I was high or if I was actually nailing it.

I have watched a lot of bands that play wasted (alcohol) and it blows my mind that they don't suck something fierce. I cannot play to save my life if I am even so much as buzzed.

I'm 32 and I play both the guitar and keyboards, guitar since I was 13 and the keyboard since I was 17. If I don't say so myself I am pretty damn good at both instruments. I've played both instruments while on a myriad of substances. Below is a list and if they adversely affected or helped with my playing

Marijuana - Helps tremendously with my creativity and makes what I create come out as an extension of myself. Also great for coming up with riffs

Alcohol - Makes me become extremely sloppy and hinders my playing. Going as far as making it worse

Opiates - Oddly this one both has positives and negatives. I have been able to come up with very melodic melodies in regards to my ambient I produce and sometimes my guitar playing is more soulful. However heavy into my heroin addiction my playing suffered greatly and I felt I regressed somewhat in both my guitar and keyboard playing,

L:SD - I've have come up with some very weird songs and sounds on while on LSD but upon listening to them sober I came to realize that what I thought sounded like the next great musical discovery was nothing more than a garbled mess while on LSD. However the one thing it did bring to me was being able to come with more abstract ideas that fit in my ambient music that I produce.

Psilocybin mushrooms - I've only ever once in my whole entire life played live with a band while on them and I can still remember doing a solo that I still to this day think is the greatest single piece of guitar playing I ever did. Sadly the only known video of me playing it was on one of my old hard drives that died. Was unable to retrieve the file. I felt as if the guitar was an extension of my own self, Was both amazing and terrifying at the same time.

I don't drink much anymore really and overcame my opiate addiction. I now just use marijuana a few times a week and use psychedelics once in a blue moon. I'm usually high while recording my music but also have come to appreciate more so now than ever that I can record music sober that I feel sounds just as good as if I recorded it high.

This quote from Maynard James Keenan of Tool sums up how I feel about drugs and especially psychedelics

“I think psychedelics play a major part in what we do, but having said that, I feel that if somebody's going to experiment with those things they really need to educate themselves about them. People just taking the chemicals and diving in without having any kind of preparation about what they're about to experience tend to have no frame of reference, so they're missing everything flying by and all these new perspectives. It's just a waste. They reach a little bit of spiritual enlightenment, but they end up going, 'Well, now I need that drug to get back there again.' The trick is to use the drugs once to get there, and maybe spend the next ten years trying to get back there without the drug."

I always smoke up before I play.
That is how it is for me now too. Tonight however I ate some edibles and will try my hand at recording some more material for my drone metal album in the works

That is how it is for me now too. Tonight however I ate some edibles and will try my hand at recording some more material for my drone metal album in the works
I never used edibles much. For the past 3 months it hasn't even been bud, but wax. Now my thc tolerance is all out of whack. The wax was actually cheaper since 2 hits would do me in. THC would help me focus on one task at a time which is great for guitar but scatterbrained as far as multi tasking went. Positives and Negatives I guess.

Play better with beer in me. Lowers my anxiety but also gives my playing a boost which a regular Xanax wouldn't do. That stuff unmotivates my care level where booze is different in that regard.

With Opiates you can sit and play for days, as long as you have them. That's why heroin is so popular. The fallback is that without it, it kills any desire to get out of bed let alone play gigs.

I never used edibles much. For the past 3 months it hasn't even been bud, but wax. Now my thc tolerance is all out of whack. The wax was actually cheaper since 2 hits would do me in. THC would help me focus on one task at a time which is great for guitar but scatterbrained as far as multi tasking went. Positives and Negatives I guess.

Play better with beer in me. Lowers my anxiety but also gives my playing a boost which a regular Xanax wouldn't do. That stuff unmotivates my care level where booze is different in that regard.

With Opiates you can sit and play for days, as long as you have them. That's why heroin is so popular. The fallback is that without it, it kills any desire to get out of bed let alone play gigs.
Nothing better than doing a decent amount of dope that gets me right toasty and just playing with my guitar and effects pedal for what seems like hours. I have well over a good 3 hours of material I recorded while I was on heroin. Some of it is great but the majority of it isn't that good at all.

Last edited:
Nothing better than doing a decent amount of dope that gets me right toasty and just playing with my guitar and effects pedal for what seems like hours. I well over a good 3 hours of material I recorded while I was on heroin. Some of it is great but the majority of it isn't that good at all.
damn youve done H. I hear heroin gives you a weird voice like willie nelson.

Back