Do American Fighters Lack Class?

Lol what?

Pacquiao is not a classy fighter.
ya, pac is a nice guy but the fucker always has some excuse when he loses. good man, has a weakness for having his ego catered to, like most great fighters but I wouldn't call him classy, especially in defeat.

Lol what?

Pacquiao is not a classy fighter.

He has had his personal problems; marital I believe. He voiced his stance on homosexuality, and people went ballistic. However, he is very respectable. He came from a background where his dad killed their family dog to eat because they had no food.

Now he is a Senator in his country, and I believe he has or had rank in the Philippine Army. I believe he generally carries himself with respect.

nice guy, lots of good about him but i wouldn't call him classy, classy might be a tad overrated anyway. I love to quote Mills Lane "show me a good loser and I'll show you someone I want to fight everyday."

as far as shittalking, Pac doesn't do that, I don't really even think he understands it, it's a totally different culture.

nice guy, lots of good about him but i wouldn't call him classy, classy might be a tad overrated anyway. I love to quote Mills Lane "show me a good loser and I'll show you someone I want to fight everyday."

I remember Floyd said he wouldn't give Pac a rematch because he was a sore loser with the shoulder excuse. Now he's all for it seems like. Floyd came with his usual brash bravado "EASY WORK!!"......Manny just chilling, and smiling....."but I have a belt Floyd. I have a belt." haha

He has had his personal problems; marital I believe. He voiced his stance on homosexuality, and people went ballistic. However, he is very respectable. He came from a background where his dad killed their family dog to eat because they had no food.

Now he is a Senator in his country, and I believe he has or had rank in the Philippine Army. I believe he generally carries himself with respect.

Didn't he get dropped by Nike for homophobic remarks?

As far as boxing, he's always been a sore loser.

He came out in the Floyd fight taking selfies during the walkout then when he lost he gave Floyd no respect and gave excuses

Didn't he get dropped by Nike for homophobic remarks?

As far as boxing, he's always been a sore loser.

He came out in the Floyd fight taking selfies during the walkout then when he lost he gave Floyd no respect and gave excuses

I can't recall what he said about same sex marriage. But it didn't go over well. I think people should be able to speak their minds (that's a whole other discussion). You might lose endorsements though.

I guess what I'm referring to, and the reason for this thread, is observing fighters crash press conferences, being kicked out of gyms, assaulting non fighters and women, slapping phones out of fans' hands, knocking out people at bowling alleys then robbing them......yeah the list goes on.

They all are American fighters. Perhaps it's just what is publicized. Other fighters have personal issues, but I'm noticing criminal behavior with our group. If we think it won't start affecting the matchmaking we're kidding ourselves.

I know in the amateurs there is a code of conduct, you violate, you can't fight. There doesn't appear to be the same consideration in the pros.

I can't recall what he said about same sex marriage. But it didn't go over well. I think people should be able to speak their minds (that's a whole other discussion). You might lose endorsements though.

I guess what I'm referring to, and the reason for this thread, is observing fighters crash press conferences, being kicked out of gyms, assaulting non fighters and women, slapping phones out of fans' hands, knocking out people at bowling alleys then robbing them......yeah the list goes on.

They all are American fighters. Perhaps it's just what is publicized. Other fighters have personal issues, but I'm noticing criminal behavior with our group. If we think it won't start affecting the matchmaking we're kidding ourselves.

I know in the amateurs there is a code of conduct, you violate, you can't fight. There doesn't appear to be the same consideration in the pros.

Not saying all American fighters are universally classy. Just saying foreign fighters aren't exactly saints.

Not saying all American fighters are universally classy. Just saying foreign fighters aren't exactly saints.

I agree on that. One of my favorite fighters, Kovalev…..made a complete fool of himself with his social media war he waged on Ward. lol

I remember Floyd said he wouldn't give Pac a rematch because he was a sore loser with the shoulder excuse. Now he's all for it seems like. Floyd came with his usual brash bravado "EASY WORK!!"......Manny just chilling, and smiling....."but I have a belt Floyd. I have a belt." haha
both of them are fucked for playing all those games. going back ten years. Sugar Ray bullshitted like that too, as have many others, sugar ray rejected pleas from hearns and duran for rematches because hearns didn't admit he was through int he first fight and I forget whatever BS he used for duran after no mas, he had a million excuses for hagler, he was too big, he wouldn't come down to 154, he fought all three when it suited HIM, that's one reason he has few fans left.

both of them are fucked for playing all those games. going back ten years. Sugar Ray bullshitted like that too, as have many others, sugar ray rejected pleas from hearns and duran for rematches because hearns didn't admit he was through int he first fight and I forget whatever BS he used for duran after no mas, he had a million excuses for hagler, he was too big, he wouldn't come down to 154, he fought all three when it suited HIM, that's one reason he has few fans left.

You think Pac was on the juice? That was Floyd's main reason he claimed for not taking the fight sooner. He gave Mosley a hard time about PEDs as well. I believe Mosley actually popped for them before; I can't remember off the top of my head?

are we talking strictly boxing? Because when I think class, I think Conor McGregor

Not just saying this because I'm American, but Andre Ward is absolute class, a pure gentleman and one of the nicest guys in the sport. He should also be a mega superstar because he is so class.

You think Pac was on the juice? That was Floyd's main reason he claimed for not taking the fight sooner. He gave Mosley a hard time about PEDs as well. I believe Mosley actually popped for them before; I can't remember off the top of my head?
of course pac was, i don't really want to go too far with that though because it'll end up another silly arguement. Mosely was actually in danger of going to prison like marion jones if he'd lied so he squeled like a pig.

Have you ever watched an interview of an American fighter, and then a British fighter? They seem like they're not even in the same profession. I was watching an interview with Amir Khan, and he is articulate, well dressed, and his endeavors outside of the ring have been commendable. The man built an orphanage in Gambia; good on him.

Khan isn't the only one: Eubanks Sr, Golovkin, Pacquiao, and Lomachenko all are names that come to mind for bad asses who are at the same time respectable.

This may have some crossover with the role models thread from earlier, but do American fighters lack class? Is it a cultural thing?

The last no nonsense, gentleman fighter I can think of that was mainstream is Sugar Ray Leonard. I lied, Ward and Spence Jr as well, but Sugar Ray for mainstream success.

Thoughts?
I'm American, I always root for Americans, but I see your point. I have noticed (in SOME cases) more class for foreign dudes. However, as u mentioned, Andre Ward, Errol Spence, many others ARE classy.

We can take this topic to a whole other level and involve racism, which is IMO one of the problems some American fighters have trouble building a fan base but ill chime in another time as already a couple people here have their panties in a bunch
I don't think so. Tons of minority Boxers (Mike Tyson, Evander, Bow, Ali, Holmes, SRL, too many to name had HUGE fan bases).

Not just saying this because I'm American, but Andre Ward is absolute class, a pure gentleman and one of the nicest guys in the sport. He should also be a mega superstar because he is so class.
Agreed 100%. I always liked him.

BJS is probably the nicest fighter to ever exist, being British most likely had something to do with it.

Tim Bradley is a class act. Danny Garcia seems like a decent kid. Shawn Porter seems to be a good guy.

Bradley & Garcia agree but Porter not so much. Video of Keef and Porter where they're discussing Keef's return after the injury, Porter came across diluted and escalated the discussion into an argument for no reason. I guess you need to factor in history but yeah, I rate Keef above Porter.

So weve established a firm no on this ridiculous notion? Good.

Back