Do amateur records mean anything to you?

It matters to these promoters that’s for sure. I’m amateur right now and want to rack up some ring time getting comfortable before I put my pro record on the line. Having said that in the grand scheme of things ammy records in MMA don’t matter. Everyone who is any good is pro unless you just happen to have a couple studs run into each other st the low level. Boxing has way more talent levels and overall participants period compared to MMA. Coupled with boxing youth programs you can’t compare the amateur leagues in mma to amateur boxing.

Some of those TUF fights were good and I think count as amateur fights.

Kimbo v Roy Nelson had over 4 million views lol. I remember Nelson was pissed that he could have made money off that fight

It matters to these promoters that’s for sure. I’m amateur right now and want to rack up some ring time getting comfortable before I put my pro record on the line. Having said that in the grand scheme of things ammy records in MMA don’t matter. Everyone who is any good is pro unless you just happen to have a couple studs run into each other st the low level. Boxing has way more talent levels and overall participants period compared to MMA. Coupled with boxing youth programs you can’t compare the amateur leagues in mma to amateur boxing.

2-0 nice.

In Norway 2018 the national ammy boxing championship had some pros in the early stages of their careers competing. Then it might be somewhat of a tuneup fight. If the same thing is going on in mma you might give it some consideration at least. Especially if you are gonna bet some money on the guy.
I guess it is all about the context.

No.

There's plenty of amateurs fighting in the UFC right now.

Came here to say the same thing. Maybe back then it mattered more. Nowadays there seems to be amateur level fighters competing in the premier organization.

Early in a fighter's career, yes - especially if 1-2 of their opponents has progressed and they both stand strong in their respective divisions.

Later in a career, no - unless 1-2 of those ammy fights or early fights in the pro career was with someone who a rematch would be interesting to watch. I don't mean Stipe-Streuve, but more like a Cain-Werdum where both fighters still stand to gain and the winner could be elevated back into the picture quickly while the loser can face a rising star.

Lomachenko and Rigo having over 300 amateur bouts but being billed as 0-0 in their debuts against some dude is pretty fucked imo. I think amateur bout records should be in brackets for the first couple of fights imo.
You're in the wrong forum...
In MMA, I wouldn't share that opinion.

Amateur competition is very misunderstood and underrated unfortunately. I personally don't care about the records (whether they are winning or losing) but i support partaking in amateur competition. Competing is good enough in itself, it shows more than enough.

Back