DNA Tests to find out about ancestry:

Has anyone done this or know about it?

I have recently been looking into it for my wife, she was curious about her heritage.

The first one i heard of was 23 and me. It was $99 for just ancestry and $199 to also find out about genetic health, all the way to find out if there is baldness in your family.

I then started doing other researches and came across, ancestry dna, ancestry.com, myheritage, kincore.

any recommendations or just tips that you know or heard of

I did ancestry.com a few years ago for heritage. It was totally worth it. It was mostly what I expected, but there were a couple surprises. Very cool to know exactly what percentage of your DNA belongs to where.

I intend to take one of these tests the next time I visit the US, but I'm still debating myself on whether I should get AncestryDNA or 23andMe.

Anyone know which one is better?

I know a guy who got both to see if they would be the same. They were off by a percentage point in a couple places, but were otherwise identical. It probably doesn't matter which one you choose.

Last edited:
From what ive read most of those things are a scam.

Also i always found it baffling thats theres people who dont know what the fuck they are. Like didnt family mention it in passing at least once or twice or?

It's surprising how quickly these things can be lost. My mothers side of the family has hundreds of pictures but nobody bothered to write on them who is who and what date they were taken. Memories can fade fast. I was asking my mother, aunts and uncle and they often came up with different answers.

There are fewer pictures on my fathers side. Both sides immigrated in the late 1800s. My mother's parents were both born here but my fathers parents came as young children. My mother and father and their parents didn't have birth certificates as they were born at home in very rural areas. When my mother and grandfather wanted to get passports in the 1970s they had to get baptism records from the country church.

Has anyone done this or know about it?

I have recently been looking into it for my wife, she was curious about her heritage.

The first one i heard of was 23 and me. It was $99 for just ancestry and $199 to also find out about genetic health, all the way to find out if there is baldness in your family.

I then started doing other researches and came across, ancestry dna, ancestry.com, myheritage, kincore.

any recommendations or just tips that you know or heard of

Sometimes things are better left alone, you can open up a big can of worms.

My sister is very, very into this. She tested everyone in my family that she could get a hold of. It turned out that my dad's father was not his biological father. Apparently my grandmother ran around on my grandfather and my dad was the result. No one in his family had any clue about this.

My dad was the 4th born out of 5 children. My sister tested 3 of his brothers and sisters (the other died in the Korean war) and they are all full siblings. My sister didn't tell my dad but he saw the results and put it together on his own. That is a hell of a thing to find out when you are 75 and your parents have been dead since the 80's.

This all just happened a few weeks ago.

Last edited:
I'm white Anglo Saxon. I like my beer warm and my women ugly. I don't need to spend $90 to figure that out.

I think 23andme is running a contest where the prize is they fly you out to any place of your origin

Do these things need blood taken or can you just like spit in a tube or whatever?

lol, i guess it was kind of a stupid question to ask. i was more wondering what device they use to scan the dna sample. i presume it's some crazy-expensive contraption.
they probably use blenders, centrifuges, PCR and restriction enzymes, and electrophoresis like most people who study DNA.

As for the $100 spend out DNA testing, I doubt they can tell you much that is very specific and accurate.

Good timing, TS. I was buying one of these for my girlfriend today. Probably will do it for myself as well, I expect to be very disappointed lol, I almost want to leave it a mystery.

be the first to be a part of a nazi group and BLM matter. They will be the ulitmate terrorist. is is wont compare to these fanatical groups.

Heh. We could have avoided WW2 if these tests had been around back then.

You can find things you might not want to know.

National Geographic has a DNA test also.

I wish this DNA thing for ancestry exists in my country. I want to know my Asiatic ancestry I bet I have Chinese,Arab and Indian blood.

Word has it we are one of the most mixed up peoples the Malayo/Poleneisian peoples. Or what anthropolgists call the Austhronesians.

I looked in the mirror and it said I was white.
You do know that this is the exact same thing all the white supremacists say after taking one of those tests and finding out they're part sub Saharan African, right? The same thing verbatim.

I wish this DNA thing for ancestry exists in my country. I want to know my Asiatic ancestry I bet I have Chinese,Arab and Indian blood.

Word has it we are one of the most mixed up peoples the Malayo/Poleneisian peoples. Or what anthropolgists call the Austhronesians.

You can get it mailed to you from Nat Geo (I think). I think I'm going to do it soon and I'll post the results.

I'm white Anglo Saxon. I like my beer warm and my women ugly. I don't need to spend $90 to figure that out.
iu

From what ive read most of those things are a scam.

Also i always found it baffling thats theres people who dont know what the fuck they are. Like didnt family mention it in passing at least once or twice or?

It's not a scam. I have a very specific makeup from three different continents and they were able to map the percentages almost perfectly. What I didn't know was the specific breakdown of each continent and that is what the test provided me.

Even if say you know your ancestors came to America from Britain, you wouldn't necessarily know if that was their origin. Also if someone is black or part black they aren't going to have any idea of what they are.

Back