DJ's loss to Cejudo may truly show that turning down the Dillashaw fight was a mistake.

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I was never a big fan of bullying Demetrious into having to take the Dillashaw fight, but in retrospect he may have severely hurt his legacy as well as his pockets.

If you are someone as small as Demetrious who clearly doesn't have the biggest following it's always a dangerous game to "play it safe". The longer you stay at 125lbs and pick off mediocre challenger after mediocre challenger, the anticipation and demand for a big step up in competition grows, people want to see a challenge for DJ. Beating one guy after another had his resume growing slowly but surely and he of course was cashing cheques as he went, but with that said you're always missing the opportunity to take your status to the next level when you continue to fight no-namers.

Like think about it, imagine if DJ went up and fought TJ and actually beat him, just imagine that!? Let's say he finished him, or even if he didn't do that but instead won a 5 round war, how great would that have been for his legacy? Now of course you always have the risk of going up there and just being wiped by TJ, end up looking like you're not even in his class for example, but perhaps that roll of the dice would have been worth it - even with a loss.

You now look at the spectrum and it's all kind of backfired. The whole P4P greatest talk has just disappeared overnight, not even the most avid DJ fan is claiming that nonsense anymore. See that's what hurts you in this sport with the true fans, we know that title defenses don't mean shit, it's just a shiny stat on a piece of paper, the fight game is about WHO you fight at the end of the day. Shogun and Hendo have losses galore but will probably be above DJ in my all-time list because their level of competition has always been better than Bagautinov, Cariaso, Moraga, McCall etc. We can sit around like hipsters and act like these guys are elite fighters but they just aren't - even his biggest foil John Dodson is 20-10 right now, becoming a mediocre fighter in his own right.

Demetrious is staring down the barrel of not getting an immediate rematch with Henry. He's 32 and has been around for a long, long time, who knows where his career and health goes from here, the injury bug may begin to set in, who knows? It's very plausible that DJ fights someone like Formiga, walks through them and then gets a rematch with Cejudo - but then what!? Imagine he loses again!? Then how will his story be told 10 years from now? Let's say he wins, what does that do? He's gone around in a big circle to be back at square one and be top of a mountain that nobody really cares for.

Greatest Flyweight of all-time, but that isn't all that important of a title in MMA unfortunately. We've not seen enough 125lb fighters at this juncture to even celebrate that claim. It's like saying that Joanna was the greatest 115lb women's fighter ever, and then what happened, 2 losses to Rose, world thrown upside down. I understand that Demetrious wanted to gamble on himself and not go up for Cruz or Dillashaw unless it was for big bucks, but those demands are going to be a lot less entertained now with no belt.

Did DJ screw up guys?

Last edited:
I was never a big fan of bullying Demetrious into having to take the Dillashaw fight, but in retrospect he may have severely hurt his legacy as well as his pockets.

I never understood why they had to "bully" DJ to take a fight in his own division.

If he lost to Dillashaw at 125 he still would have lost his title. Glad all of his entitled ducking bs got put to rest.

Tj would have murkd Dj.

Last edited:
In hindsight ... he missed an opportunity.

But he was making 500k per fight in a somewhat weak division.

He has money. He didnt NEED the super fight unless it would bring him even more money.

I dont expect people to move up in weight and fight at a size disadvantage but my issue was he rejecting TJ at 125lbs. That was very weak of him and automatically removed him from GOAT status.

I have a weird feeling DJ got bored of being the champion , he had to constantly fight through injuries, while receiving negative feedback from majority of fans. He kinda wasn't all in and deep insede wanted to take a little vacation. Now 0 pressure on him, nobody calls him out. Definetliy not the state of mind to fight an obsessed guy, like TJ.

Not to mention that his loss was somewhat debatable, he wasn't really dominated, he just didn't get the nod from the judges.

When SF wanted 170lb champ Nick Diaz to fight at 185, he said “fine, but pay me triple or quadruple to do it”. Because there is more risk in moving up than defending the belt, so with higher risk should come higher reward.

It was fairly eloquent for Nick Diaz.

DJ wanted the respect and not bullying you suggest, and more money. Zuffa never budged. He made a reasonable request for more money to go with the higher risk, Dana countered, the two parties couldn’t meet in the middle, and so he didn’t move up.

It’s futile and facile to now second guess that string of choices after a loss.

If I was DJ I would have moved up to try and take the belt from TJ. DJ was a long reigning champ, it would have made sense for him to try and grab another belt especially since he used to have great success in that weight class already. That's the real opportunity he missed.

No, it shows that assholes badly underestimate the quality of the flyweight division because of how small they are and how great MM is, which is the dumbest fucking thing ever.

Of course he fucked up, he lost the biggest (little person) money fight he ever would've had, and cheated us fans out of a real superfight imo.

Alot of the guys he beat were mediocre fighters at best as well, Moraga, Cariaso and Borg are 3 gatekeepers off the top of my head that wound up getting title shots because the division was so weak, not neccesarily for their skill.

The whole ducking TJ thing and choosing to fight gatekeepers like Ray Borg is always going to put a damper on his legacy for me personally anyway.

We still dont have any idea how much more a fight with Dillashaw would pay

All he wanted was more money, Conor does it and you love him for it, DJ does it and he is ducking....

eh, sounds like fairweather bullshit like people hating Woodley then all of a sudden like him because he won against Till. To casual fans a fighter is only as good as their last fight. DJ lost a controversial decision so now he's a bum suddenly?
<{cruzshake}>

The more surprising thing is you just now realized this. Of course it was a bad decision, that would have been his best selling fight and would’ve solidified his legacy and gained him fans even if he lost as long as he was extremely competitive and it was a close fight.

I'm not the biggest DJ fan but DJ and DJ's coach knows that TJ is on an unprecedented tear right now. I wouldn't want to be in the way of it if I valued my belt. DJ stock went up in my book after the Cejudo fight though. Solid fight with great back and forth action and minimal wrestlefucking. I think the hard part is it is tough to find adult fighters at his weight class, maybe let 10th graders or 8th graders into the UFC for more competition?

Back