Divided States of A.

What is your idealistic treatment for the American landmass in 2017?

• Total voters
I like this

upinarms-map-large.jpg

51JsTvFtQNL._SL1500_.jpg

I haven't read this book but it might be up your alley TS. It was writing in 2009.

Back

Description
From Publishers Weekly
Pulitzer Prize–finalist Bishop offers a one-idea grab bag with a thesis more provocative than its elaboration. Bishop contends that as Americans have moved over the past three decades, they have clustered in communities of sameness, among people with similar ways of life, beliefs, and in the end, politics. There are endless variations of this clustering—what Bishop dubs the Big Sort—as like-minded Americans self-segregate in states, cities—even neighborhoods. Consequences of the Big Sort are dire: balkanized communities whose inhabitants find other Americans to be culturally incomprehensible; a growing intolerance for political differences that has made national consensus impossible; and politics so polarized that Congress is stymied and elections are no longer just contests over policies, but bitter choices between ways of life. Bishop's argument is meticulously researched—surveys and polls proliferate—and his reach is broad. He splices statistics with snippets of sociological theory and case studies of specific towns to illustrate that while the Big Sort enervates government, it has been a boon to advertisers and churches, to anyone catering to and targeting taste. Bishop's portrait of our post materialistic society will probably generate chatter; the idea is catchy, but demonstrating that like does attract like becomes an exercise in redundancy. (May)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

Cheers for the read; sounds really neat actually.

Why are people wanting California to go so badly.

It's the greatest state in the country.

Why don't we get rid of places like Arkansas or Mississippi. The real shit holes of America.

I can't speak to all of the US, but that Memphis, Tennessee cross over to Arkansas is some of the scummiest driving in the US.

I think in AZ it's because people from CA have the CA douche pride thing going on. If they love it so much, why didn't they stay there kind of thing.

I have to agree with you.

2098312.png

Thanks for all your contribution, Cint, and fellow Sherbrothers for your thoughts.

I notice C and D are popular choices both verbally ITT and by our mini-poll.

C and D are essentially summarised by Cint's graphic above but with one crucial difference in how the breakaway falls:

• the belief that Texas should not be member to a new United South while others fancying the contrary - Texas and the South, united

My question for folk who wish the former (Texas, FTW) is: do you believe that is best for Texas or is it but a prideful line to draw?

Post-secession, one has to look at water, defence, taxation for infrastructure, common or synergistic subeconomies, access of waterfronts/ports and so on - you are going to be a sovereign nation. You need elect the scenario that best qualifies your breakaway for prosperity and peace.

If a United South were to become one of however many nation-states, I would imagine Texas being a powerful member to that union while also themselves benefitting from which, and could even serve as the capital.

Any historical reasons for which city/state would best serve as the capital? I have read the nerve centre for the CSA was Richmond, Virginia but I believe I have read that Raleigh, North Carolina played an important role in the history of the South as well...

Share what you know and give your thoughts.

If you look at the Union (blue) above, you will see that they could well form a powerful nation-state unto themselves (if not the most powerful), so is Texas alone really better than a United South? :eek:

\

ahh, Loring maine and Grand Forks, North Dakota, the two cities I would put on a map.

Loring is the air force base, I know
Cartographical blunders aside, awesome film. :D

... very over-rated movie. I would even go with LadyHawke.
Don't get too serious on me here. This is Matthew Broderick, not Matthias Schoenaerts.

NB Good call on the edit. :p

Modern divorce culture apparently applies to countries now, too.

There was a time when, when people had differences, they did the hard work of listening to and empathizing with each other until an equitable solution could be reached.

Unless those were ethnic or national differences, in which case they typically resorted to genocide.
Yeah like 100 years ago!

Why on earth would the great state of Alaska go "to the russians"??!? We baught that shot fair and square. They have no claim to it.

Just let California secede.

fuck Cali

Just a bunch of uppity libs. That's all. Make the wall 800 miles longer.

dd86eb9721125e5634344c41c154269630689c44.png

Good riddance and take all the fucking liberal actors.

1.jpg

FYI, when people dream of America, they don't dream of your shitty state. That's why you stagnate and California keeps producing shit that you buy. And if we secede, you'll still be in line waiting to buy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back