Distance fighting

nino

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
Can somebody explain on how to fight on distance, fighters like Petrosyan, Sittichai are very good at it.

For me reach and pace are the same because they are so connected that they are practically two sides of the same coin. Because surely, the closer you are to your opponent, the more energy you will expend. By far, both will walk around, circling. At one meter, it's a tense game of back and forth. In the distance of the arms, it is a wild striking. Controlling the rhythm has to do with establishing where I want to be.

Practice all distances and speeds. Go forward, backward. Go faster, slow down. Do not worry so much about being struck, or losing, or getting tired. The goal is to try different things and expose yourself to new ways of fighting. It will not be long before you develop new fighting strategies to complement all the different scenarios possible.

Practice all distances and speeds. Go forward, backward. Go faster, slow down. Do not worry so much about being struck, or losing, or getting tired. The goal is to try different things and expose yourself to new ways of fighting. It will not be long before you develop new fighting strategies to complement all the different scenarios possible.
Thank you so much but imagine, i fight on distance so i’m not fighting forward right? So what if my back is against the rope then what?

Thank you so much but imagine, i fight on distance so i’m not fighting forward right? So what if my back is against the rope then what?

If your back is against the rope, you can use uppercuts and hooks to try to make room/open up an opportunity to move to the side. If you want to keep your distance better and stay on the outside, footwork is your friend. Think of or find the situations where you are dominant and find ways to make those situations stay in play. Like for example, I have found I do better in situations where I can use my jab to control the pace and use it to set up combinations and such. So for a while in sparring I worked on trying to maintain an effective jab and mixing in different ideas to experiment (i.e., a 1-1-2 where the first jab is stiff, the second is basically pitter-patter and much faster, but is blocking the eyesight long enough to set up the right hand). Just don't focus on one element of maintaining a dominant position though, because after focusing on my jab after I sparred with people who could neutralize it, I ended up in rough territory. Or if you need to changes angles, you can do a 1-2-3 and then immediately follow up with a rear kick to the mid section to move yourself to their side. These are all just ideas to be toyed with in sparring. Play with the power in your kicks and punches, play with footwork, just try stuff.

And also, ask your coaches things. As much as you can. They are coaches for a reason haha!

Mind you I’ve never truly kick boxed. I come from a karate back ground with very long legs. So I never had ropes to get up against. I kicked A LOT because of my legs. I used a side kick, I think Thais call it a push kick, like it was a jab with my foot. Bruce Lee did it a lot because the leg is longer than the arm. I’m a good 6” taller than my partners my side kicks would reach them before any punch ever could. In Muay Thai you see a lot of guys using Teeps to keep people off them. Again leg is longer than arm. So coming from a karate guy I recommend working distance and kicks. If you’re tall like me you can stay outta range of their kicks while keeping them in your range. Something I’ve done a lot with a heavy bag is stand back from it and throw your kicks. Round house, teeps, side kicks, front kicks, etc and then place some painting tape on the floor where you’re at. That’s your range. Drill those kicks from there with the bag swinging and sitting still. In class we’d have partners and they’d walk forward with pads and we had to work timing before they closed in. They’d do it at different speeds. If you have a partner who will hold pads let them move around and try to close the distance before you can strike and get out OR close it yourself via clinch.

Stay out of opponents range. After attacking go back out to beyond their reach. You primary defense is not being within opponent reach. Be quick moving in and out

Stay out of opponents range. After attacking go back out to beyond their reach. You primary defense is not being within opponent reach. Be quick moving in and out

Best advice.
It is all about moving in and out.

Try to avoid hitting the bag within your range. Practice having to close in, hit ( single or combos) and get out of range immediately.

Generally, range is one of the most poorly taught concept in combat sport.

If your shore is on the rope. You have to keep the adversary dissent. As you can do this by applying Jab and direct punch and swing punch. The front kick pushes the goalkeeper away. At the same time he tries to move sideways.

equipe_clip_image025.jpg

1317458432_35315772.jpg

1317458590_31745623.jpg

1317458205_28410532.jpg

As a manlet, I want to give you bad advice. But I gotta say, push kicks were the fucking worst. I never fought or anything, but just during training a good push kick thrown like a spear more than a push (i wish they'd call it a spear kick) doesn't only go from a very long distance -- it also knocks the manlet like 2 feet back and kicks the wind out of him, like a really painful body shot.

Also having the footwork to get out of close range really fast might help. Like as a short guy, I cant hit you from out of range but you can hit me. And getting inside usually means I have to eat some damage; even a blocked punch hurts. And getting inside also doesn't just take damage; it takes energy to rush in, to bob and weave, to do any of that requires explosive movements of your entire body. So once I'm inside I really have to make it count -- I have to land as many shots as I can before you get away. If you're able to get away after like 1 shot every time, that will drain my energy and destroy my confidence.

The teep is OBSCENELY overlooked in kickboxing, especially at the heavier weights.

Back