Discussing "I am not your negro" and James Baldwin

discussing racism is not racist. you elected a racist president. it can no longer be swept under the carpet.

Everything about your threads, and you as a poster, revolves around racism, down to you av. You're obsessed. Which is fine, but it's strange you deny it.

enhanced-buzz-18022-1375444173-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-18019-1375444088-10.jpg

enhanced-buzz-26997-1375369083-12.jpg

enhanced-buzz-18244-1375462338-32.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24401-1375389941-12.jpg

enhanced-buzz-29765-1375326054-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-27759-1375372564-40.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24795-1375389501-28.jpg

enhanced-buzz-2121-1375458284-10.jpg

enhanced-buzz-12405-1375474184-14.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23636-1375462250-43.jpg

enhanced-buzz-2856-1375460215-16.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23887-1375455554-14.jpg

enhanced-buzz-6213-1375374954-21.jpg

enhanced-buzz-30348-1375461860-9.jpg

enhanced-buzz-14017-1375470979-4.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24221-1375389598-19.jpg

enhanced-buzz-30100-1375326120-4.jpg

Never heard of him.

We've touched on this in the other thread, about IMDB censorship, but the film itself is a political conversation. This isnt something that is covered best in mayberry imho, and touches on a lot of contemporary issues today.

Things like the American dehumanisation attempts of muslims, to the trump presidency, to black lives matter, to the abject failure of black america to profit in the ways that other groups have collectively since the 60s.

A lot of the points covered in the film, have echoed down the ages and its no surprise that its shone a harsh light on IMDB comments.

The author of the source material was a gay black civil rights activist who was obviously two things 1 very intelligent and 2 very pissed off. Righteous indignation drips off the page as the original source material made reference to the assassinations of medgar evers, malcolm x and martin luther king.

I want to use this thread to focus on some of the key points of the film and the text. I personally dont think its appropriate to tie all of this into trump, and blm and the things i mentioned before, for the purposes of this discussion, as the films authors legacy and relevance today is profound, but the one thing that is definite is the material itself and the points he was making. Besides, its a very broad subject matter.

Those look like historical pieces. Your attempt to tie it into contemporary issues wasn't very convincing. I'm not sure what you want out of this thread, TBH.

We've touched on this in the other thread, about IMDB censorship, but the film itself is a political conversation. This isnt something that is covered best in mayberry imho, and touches on a lot of contemporary issues today.

Things like the American dehumanisation attempts of muslims, to the trump presidency, to black lives matter, to the abject failure of black america to profit in the ways that other groups have collectively since the 60s.

A lot of the points covered in the film, have echoed down the ages and its no surprise that its shone a harsh light on IMDB comments.

The author of the source material was a gay black civil rights activist who was obviously two things 1 very intelligent and 2 very pissed off. Righteous indignation drips off the page as the original source material made reference to the assassinations of medgar evers, malcolm x and martin luther king.

I want to use this thread to focus on some of the key points of the film and the text. I personally dont think its appropriate to tie all of this into trump, and blm and the things i mentioned before, for the purposes of this discussion, as the films authors legacy and relevance today is profound, but the one thing that is definite is the material itself and the points he was making. Besides, its a very broad subject matter.

Keep putting in that work. You should be paid overtime.

The chart does not show that, it shows blacks are doing better than pakistanis and bandgleshi's in regards to being less likely to be in poverty.

Holy fuck -- its two seperate points -- the first article deals with incarceration -- the second graph show poverty.

Holy fuck -- its two seperate points -- the first article deals with incarceration -- the second graph show poverty.

Yeah my bad. I think it's down to the high percentage of single mothers in the both the black UK and US communities. This is a metric which is a good predictor across all group's in term of how the children will turn out. Ann Coulter spoke about this

You like to focus on calling whites oppressors. As if things are rosy in black parts. It's stupid. You really come off like a beta challenging the best looking buff guy in the room. Everything about you.
you dont know shit about me. i think the truth challenges you. and while its alright to make 150 threads about sweden, its not alright to make one criticising america in your eyes. well i could give a fuck about your appeals to censorship frankly. and no one sees you are the buff guy in the room. more like a fat woman running from a mouse called reality.

Don't know too much about the guy, but I can give you my opinion of the relevance today based on what you posted.

I think a book or movie about historical racism is pretty redundant by now, and does a lot more harm than good. If you got jumped by when you were 10, it would just be a bad memory that you don't think much about anymore and just go about your day. If you had to watch a video of it every week for the rest of your life, you'd still hate those kids, even if they grew up to be nice family men who give to charity and all that.

There are tons of books and movies about slavery, segregation etc, and I think we all know about it already. Even fucking Snoop said he's sick of all these damn slavery movies, and I think this country has more black millionaires than any other country, so where are all those stories that show people what's possible, instead of a new slavery or segregation movie every year to remind people what victims they are?

Most people don't really care if someone is black or if someone is gay, and they want it to be a much bigger deal than it is. He can go right ahead and make the movie, but I doubt anybody is getting any new information from it.

well a large part of the world sees america as racist, so sweeping it under the carpet is not a noble endevour and has many echoes of history. a truly post racial society would be able to discuss racism without hilarious appeals to censorship.

when people say Trump is a racist and give the example that he said he doesnt want mexican drug lord and rapists coming across the border, I find that to be absolutely ridiculous. he didnt say ALLMEXICANS ARE RAPISTS. he said he doesnt want DRUG LORDS AND RAPISTS coming across. Was itharsh? a bit and it was done for effect obviously one could say hyperbole to an extent, but nowhere in his verbage did he say that ALLMEXICANS ARE DRUG LORDS AND RAPISTS. Stop being triggered finger pointers. If you dont want borders around your country then you would feel comfortable not having locks on your doors and leaving your front door wide open all the time. This argument is silly. afaik, he has never even mentioned BLM at any point in his pre or post election. Aside from that he has gone so far out of his way to learn more about the plight of black america by meeting with black leaders and people who he thinks will help him make a difference. So cut this shit out already its getting old.
you think a person can make numerous racist statements and be protected from inference by a lack of explicity?

sounds like the kid in the assembly hall that farts and then acts like it didnt happen.

Everything about your threads, and you as a poster, revolves around racism, down to you av. You're obsessed. Which is fine, but it's strange you deny it.

its a legit political topic. i think america is obsessed with race and america is known by a lot of people to be a sick and racist nation. and here we are with numerous Americans doing all they can not just to avoid the subject but to censor it.

well a large part of the world sees america as racist, so sweeping it under the carpet is not a noble endevour and has many echoes of history. a truly post racial society would be able to discuss racism without hilarious appeals to censorship.
Who said anything about censorship? I said there are plenty already, so people can make whatever movie they want, but I just don't see the point of covering topics that have already been covered to death with no real fresh perspective. "Sweeping it under the carpet" isn't even a option, and wasn't suggested. I'd be more interested in a movie that doesn't rely almost entirely on footage from over half a century ago, and think that would be more relevant.

If such a large part of the world sees America as racist, why the fuck do so many non-whites want to move here more than any other country? Their mouths say one thing, but their feet say another.

William F. Buckley wrecked Baldwin in that debate.
havent watched the whole video yet, and dont know if ill agree, but very interested in those old debates. gore vidal, buckley, baldwin, king, x, etc.

love to see x v buckley if it ever happened.

one thing is for sure baldwin is a lot more intelligent than the current president.

Back