Discussing "I am not your negro" and James Baldwin

seiger

Posting from a UK no-go zone in Northern Ireland
Banned
Reaction score

We've touched on this in the other thread, about IMDB censorship, but the film itself is a political conversation. This isnt something that is covered best in mayberry imho, and touches on a lot of contemporary issues today.

Things like the American dehumanisation attempts of muslims, to the trump presidency, to black lives matter, to the abject failure of black america to profit in the ways that other groups have collectively since the 60s.

A lot of the points covered in the film, have echoed down the ages and its no surprise that its shone a harsh light on IMDB comments.

The author of the source material was a gay black civil rights activist who was obviously two things 1 very intelligent and 2 very pissed off. Righteous indignation drips off the page as the original source material made reference to the assassinations of medgar evers, malcolm x and martin luther king.

I want to use this thread to focus on some of the key points of the film and the text. I personally dont think its appropriate to tie all of this into trump, and blm and the things i mentioned before, for the purposes of this discussion, as the films authors legacy and relevance today is profound, but the one thing that is definite is the material itself and the points he was making. Besides, its a very broad subject matter.

stop with these racist threads, no one cares

enhanced-buzz-18022-1375444173-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-18019-1375444088-10.jpg

enhanced-buzz-26997-1375369083-12.jpg

enhanced-buzz-18244-1375462338-32.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24401-1375389941-12.jpg

enhanced-buzz-29765-1375326054-5.jpg

enhanced-buzz-27759-1375372564-40.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24795-1375389501-28.jpg

enhanced-buzz-2121-1375458284-10.jpg

enhanced-buzz-12405-1375474184-14.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23636-1375462250-43.jpg

enhanced-buzz-2856-1375460215-16.jpg

enhanced-buzz-23887-1375455554-14.jpg

enhanced-buzz-6213-1375374954-21.jpg

enhanced-buzz-30348-1375461860-9.jpg

enhanced-buzz-14017-1375470979-4.jpg

enhanced-buzz-24221-1375389598-19.jpg

enhanced-buzz-30100-1375326120-4.jpg

stop with these racist threads, no one cares

discussing racism is not racist. you elected a racist president. it can no longer be swept under the carpet.

thread discussing racial issues are not racist. you elected a racist president. it can no longer be swept under the carpet.
you can call Trump white, b/c he is a white man

you can call Trump rich, b/c he's listed as a billionaire

you can call Trump old as fuck, cuz... look at him.

where is your statement of proof that he is a racist?

you can call Trump white, b/c he is a white man

you can call Trump rich, b/c he's listed as a billionaire

you can call Trump old as fuck, cuz... look at him.

where is your statement of proof that he is a racist?

he attempted to dehumanise mexican immigrants as a population group with crass racial stereotypes and broad generalisations, completely and utterly at odds with statistical reality. he used this scapegoat to gain power with his ignorant base and parlayed that into political juice which helped him win the presidency. he basically did the same thing with muslims.

the guy is textbook.

also we are living in the era of blm which is routinely attacked on here, and the human vomit about any group other than white is most indicative of racially biased and prejudicial attitudes.

america has many elements that are obviously racist to anyone that isnt american and many that are. its particularly funny that we must ignore this elephant in the room for fear of being labelled a trouble maker by the same aggressor that disingenuously promotes freedom of speech when it suits them.

besides, this film and book at not going away. the era they are based on is part of american history now. are we to erase it and pretend it didnt happen?

he attempted to dehumanise mexican immigrants as a population group with crass racial stereotypes and broad generalisations, completely and utterly at odds with statistical reality. he used this scapegoat to gain power with his ignorant base and parlayed that into political juice which helped him win the presidency. he basically did the same thing with muslims.
no he just said illegals are usually criminals, like rapists and such. that's not racist.

all the other stuff, you've added in for flavor or your imagination.

no he just said illegals are usually criminals, like rapists and such. that's not racist.

all the other stuff, you've added in for flavor or your imagination.

the point that got me about james baldwin was the idea that a dimunitive stereotype is needed when it comes to other races, and also the double standard that existed whereby a white man has the right to say freedom or death, but anyone else is a terrorist or a troublemaker.

i do think its unfortunate that neither era seems comfortable discussing racism, but only too happy to perpetuate it.

the point that got me about james baldwin was the idea that a dimunitive stereotype is needed when it comes to other races, and also the double standard that existed whereby a white man has the right to say freedom or death, but anyone else is a terrorist or a troublemaker.

i do think its unfortunate that neither era seems comfortable discussing racism, but only too happy to perpetuate it.
no one cares about your race baiting bullshit if you can't post an argument.

no one cares about your race baiting bullshit if you can't post an argument.

dismissing any discussion of racism as race baiting is just a trick of the racist to prevent its discussion.

"When Mexico sends it people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,"

also on a base level this isnt about race, but promises. america is a nation that demands loyalty from the classroom upwards and makes promises to its citizens. if one of other group is marginalised from those promises then thats a civics issue. it is not parallel with nasty little fascists that want to change the constitution. it is parallel with taxation as a subject, and no one talks about taxation baiters.

dismissing any discussion of racism as race baiting is just a trick of the racist to prevent its discussion.

also on a base level this isnt about race, but promises. america is a nation that demands loyalty from the classroom upwards and makes promises to its citizens. if one of other group is marginalised from those promises then thats a civics issue. it is not parallel with nasty little fascists that want to change the constitution. it is parallel with taxation as a subject, and no one talks about taxation baiters.
still no points on your assumptions on Trump being racist, how about you go back to that first, or are you trying to employ some silly tricks?

still no points on your assumptions on Trump being racist, how about you go back to that first, or are you trying to employ some silly tricks?

he is trading on stereotypes in attempts to dehumanise a population group in the united states with zero evidence and completely out of touch with stats. also he isnt talking about illegals but immigrants as a whole.

Most hate crimes in the United States target victims on the basis of race or ethnicity (for Federal purposes, crimes targeting Hispanics because of their identity are considered hate crimes based on ethnicity). Leading forms of bias cited in the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR) Program, based on law enforcement agency filings are: anti-black, anti-Jewish, anti-white, anti-homosexual, and anti-Hispanic bias in that order in both 2004 and 2005. According to the Bureau of Justice Statistics, whites, blacks, and Hispanics had similar rates of violent hate crime victimization between 2007–2011.However, from 2011 to 2012, violent hate crimes against Hispanic people increased by 300%. When considering all hate crimes, and not just violent ones, African Americans are far more likely to be victims than other racial groups.

discussing racism is not racist. you elected a racist president. it can no longer be swept under the carpet.

I don't think Donald Trump is a racist although very recently at his rambling news conference this past week he self described himself as the least racist person, instead of saying I'm not racist. Saying your least racist means to me "I'm not as racist as Steve Bannon". I do think he's very bigoted in his beliefs.

he is trading on stereotypes in attempts to dehumanise a population group in the united states with zero evidence and completely out of touch with stats. also he isnt talking about illegals but immigrants as a whole.
what sterotypes are you talking about?

He went to border patrol, they told him rapists and criminals are coming over illegally.

all the other stuff is your fantasy.

when has he ever lumped in other immigrant groups? has he ever said candians are immigrating here legally but are also vile and evil canadian rapists?

what sterotypes are you talking about?

He went to border patrol, they told him rapists and criminals are coming over illegally.

all the other stuff is your fantasy.

when has he ever lumped in other immigrant groups? has he ever said candians are immigrating here legally but are also vile and evil canadian rapists?

be clear about your opinion.

do you believe the film itself to be an exercise in race baiting?

be clear about your opinion.

do you believe the film itself to be an exercise in race baiting?
are you trying to change the subject on me?

no, first argue your points that Trump is racist, for which you are failing, is that why you're trying to change the subject, no.

deal with that first.

are you trying to change the subject on me?

no, first argue your points that Trump is racist, for which you are failing, is that why you're trying to change the subject, no.

deal with that first.
Only one failing in this thread is you, first you said no one cares about this thread, yet you've inexplicably been unable to stay away from a thread that according to you no one cares about. Secondly, seiger explained why Trump is a racist in which you didn't argue about it, you simply said he wasn't because he said illegals are usually criminals....Usually means more than 50% which obviously false.

Only one failing in this thread is you, first you said no one cares about this thread, yet you've inexplicably been unable to stay away from a thread that according to you no one cares about. Secondly, seiger explained why Trump is a racist in which you didn't argue about it, you simply said he wasn't because he said illegals are usually criminals....Usually means more than 50% which obviously false.
when are you going to make sense in any post, ever?

Back