Sully 4/10

Decent watch but not very exciting. No lasting impressions

Fury - 7.5/10
Inglorious Basterds - 7.5/10
War Dogs - 7/10
Valkrie - 6.5/10
Catch me if you can - 8/10

That's my boy.

Pretty fucking funny, doubt it has much in the way of re-watchability, but it was enjoyable enough.

6.5/10

Horns - Loved It.
This is based on Joe Hill's book, which I have but haven't had a chance to read yet. I now look forward to doing so to see the differences between book and film.

Good mix of humor and seriousness/horror. I like Daniel Radcliffe a fair bit. That final form was pretty awesome too.
(for some reason it's listed as "batched" on Netflix despite having the title "Horns" in the picture)
Thank you, I've been debating weather or not to give this one a go.

Space Cowboys (2000) - 6/10

What was with the writing for this movie? The premise, cast, director, cinematography, and music were all present. It seemed as if the movie was only missing a script with depth.

USS Indianapolis... 3/10, and that's being gracious.

Thank you Mario Van Peebles for taking what could have been an amazing movie (in the hands of a competent director/producer) and turning out this piece of shit trainwreck. The worst part... I watched it waiting for it to get better, and then the credits rolled. Two hours of my life I'll never get back. :(

That bad?

I had quite the double feature last night....

Batman & Robin :

Bat nipples. Ludicrous attention-grabbing codpieces that make even Jereth the Goblin King (R.I.P.) seem conservative. Arnold Schwarzenegger’s $25 million performance as Mr. Freeze might have been fine for what it was if anyone anywhere in the writing process had just said “Hey, the ice puns have some kitschy fun to them, but do they need to be every line? Like can this guy ever say anything sincerely?”

I'll always think of George Clooney as Batman. Batman & Robin is one of my all-time favorite beautiful disasters.

10/10

Oculus
:

Mirror mirror on the wall, Oculus isn't scary at all. It's pretty though.

5/10

The Martian 7/10
Suicide Squad 6/10

Patriots' Day- 8/10

Very well made, intense, and emotionally resonant.

A Monster Calls

Adults- 6/10
Children- 10/10

The movie is about a child dealing with the reality of his mother's impending death from cancer and the emotional fallout of that realization for him and his struggles with bullying.

As an adult it was solid movie most of the emotional development that the movie teaches is unneeded (if you have developed) so the impact is lessened for you. The acting was on point and everyone did a marvelous job. The Lewis was amazing given what he was called to do in the movie.

As a child this movie will be a fantastic morality tale to help coach a child through the realities of loss and pain in life. There isn't a lot of humor in the movie but the life lessons make it a great watch for them. If you have children you should take them to this movie and talk to them about the themes to help them process emotions in their own life.

Popstar : Never Stop Never Stopping - 1/10

One of the worst movie I've seen in years.

What Was the Last Movie You Saw (it doesn't have to be in the movie theater)?

Name:
Brief Review:
Rating (out of 10):
Trailer:

Me first...

Name: Dangal

Brief Review: Fantastic movie based on a true story about an Indian national wrestling champion who trained his daughters to be wrestlers. It is entirely in Hindi but has English subtitles. Very much worth seeing (especially if you ever wrestled).

Rating: 10/10

Trailer:

I'm gonna check that out. Trailer looks good and that closing line choked me up. I don't know what it is exactly but I'm currently obsessed with Independent Indian films.

Name: Hidden Figures

Brief Review: Group of black women who work for NASA in the 50s and 60s as "computers" break barriers by being physicists, mathematicians and engineers within the segregated program. The story shows the struggle of not only being a woman in a male-dominated career field, but especially a woman of color which brought on it's own set of trials and tribulations. They primarily focus on Katherine Johnson who helped calculate the trajectory for Alan Shepard (first American in space), as well as the orbit around the earth for Col John Glenn. Col Glenn wouldn't take off until Ms. Johnson confirmed the numbers, she was that good. Super heavy stuff. Awesome, awesome movie.

Rating: 10 out of 10

Trailer:

I'm curious about this one but the ads for it are a little too sassy for me.

hidden-figures-750x315_orig.png

Is there a lot of sass in the film? I really don't like stereotypical black women roles. Or does it manage to tell a good story without the stereotypes commonly associated with strong black women?

I'll try to do this one justice.

Sairat - Loved it.
Epic 3 hour Indian story of love, honor, hardships and social classes/castes.

There's a lot to cover in this film. First half of it is so much fun with awesome music, dancing, great humor, great characters and friendships with some mesmerizing shots of scenery. So beautifully shot.

main-qimg-8ca8515842c6bee6be102ba9f6043edb-c

29-sairat-5.gif

http%3A%2F%2Fi.huffpost.com%2Fgen%2F4269108%2Fimages%2Fn-SAIRAT-628x314.jpg

29-sairat-4.gif

I'll post this video of a scene from the movie, which is also made into a music video. I've always had a peculiar interest in Indian music when I was younger but I never pursued it. This song is awesome, this scene is awesome. I don't know how weird it looks to someone not interested in this shit but I love it. I've been watching it all day.

The second half gets serious, touching on the issues of family honor and the separation/differences of castes in India. So blatantly, lower classes are shit on right in front of each other, it's pretty disturbing. It's a common theme I've noticed in the Indian films I've been watching, along with corruption and greed and the challenges women face in India simply for being women.

Fantastic story of evading the restrictions of these castes and chasing true love. The emotions run high in this one. There were moments of absolute beauty, pure joy (like in that video above) and moments of disgust and distraught. A genuine roller coaster, some of it completely unexpected. Devastating.

Here's another scene/music video.

I'll admit, there's a lot of nuances and things I don't get because I'm not familiar with Indian culture and things definitely seem odd and unusual to me, but the core of the story is pretty basic and I pick up things based on reactions and behaviors. It's interesting to both learn about the tid bits of culture the director shows us, while also being completely engrossed in the story. I also don't know how this film is perceived in India and how people react to it. It's kind of stuff I'd think people don't feel comfortable with, maybe I'm wrong. I did read online it was the highest grossing film in that area/language.

I recently watched another film by the same director, Nagraj Manjule, called Fandry, which had similar themes of caste division. It was also pretty good and left me with a lot of unsure feelings and questions.

Anyway, fantastic film. A masterpiece. 10/10. Will watch again. Probably many times.

Huge lol @ "is there alot of sass"

<33>

American Beauty - 7/10. Something, I don't know what, is missing the make it an 8 or 9.

Huge lol @ "is there alot of sass"

<33>

American Beauty - 7/10. Something, I don't know what, is missing the make it an 8 or 9.

what's unfortunate about it too is that it doesn't have much in the way of replay value. I remember first time watching it, a lot of the humor with Spacey hit harder and the ending was surprising. But when you know how things are going to play out, it's not as effective.

Still, great performances from Spacey and Benning there.

Mumbai Cha Raja (Mumbai's King) - Liked It.

Very simple film about a boy in Mumbai running away from home and his abusive, alcoholic father. Not a whole lot to this one other than showing how this boy lives and his daily life of killing time on the streets with his friends. Very short at 1 hr 15 mins. Ending was interesting tho.

I had to a do a bit of research on the ending. Boy spends the night on a beach after a celebration/festival. His father finds him and he immediately flees again. Once he no longer sees his father, he goes for a swim in the ocean, where he finds a left over statue of this elephant god with multiple arms - Ganesh - which apparently represents new beginnings/destruction of obstacles. Not having full knowledge of these beliefs I don't know how much I missed.

His friend, this yappy little kid, had a shit load of charisma. Woman playing the mother was also gorgeous. Couldn't really find anything about this film online despite it being almost 5 years old.

The Similars (2015) - 6/10

A Mexican sci fi film that plays out like a very ridiculous (in a good way) episode of the twilight zone. A strange movie but also pretty damn interesting and well done.

That's my boy.

Pretty fucking funny, doubt it has much in the way of re-watchability, but it was enjoyable enough.

6.5/10

Have watched it at least 5 times - it's hilarious! 8.5/10 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back