Discuss and Rate the Last Movie You Saw v.14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okja (2017)

I can't believe how much I disliked this movie. I really thought I was going to enjoy it. It had a good premise, and a good cast was recruited, but this cast was directed INTO THE FUCKING GROUND by Joon-Ho Bong.

I don't want to see Bong direct English-speaking actors for several years to come, and I hope he doesn't team up with Tilda Swinton again. That is an unholy alliance that makes John Woo and John Travolta look like De Palma and Pacino. Swinton and Bong step onto the set and any remote possibility or semblance of the slightest bit of subtlety in a performance goes completely out the window.

This is two movies in a row (Snowpiercer) where he has guided Swinton to a performance that didn't just produce a detestable character (which can be a good thing - Burke in Aliens) but a character that was so unpleasant to watch that this character alone ensures the movie never gets a repeat viewing.

And this time, Bong unleashed Jake Gyllenhaal in such a manner that another such character was portrayed, in the same movie. This was easily the worst performance of Gyllenhaal's career, and while he should have reined himself in (even in the absence of any guidance), it seems like Bong was pushing him further and further over the edge beyond acting like anything that remotely resembled a human being.

The little kid was good and carried her role and the movie quite well. The CGI superpig was good and a likable character. I respect Paul Dano for NOT letting Bong turn his performance into some LSD caricature that reads false at every turn.

And what was with the profanity? The movie had something like 20 F-words, when only one of them ("it needs to taste fucking good") was even remotely purposeful. The rest of them just sounded improved because the actors couldn't put emotion onto the lines as written, so they just started swearing.

I really wanted to like this. It had the potential to be one of the best movies of its kind, and recruited the kind of cast that should have been able to get the ball across the goal line with room to spare. Instead they were directed to absolutely horrendous performances that sank the whole thing. There were so many "caricature" roles playing off each other (Swinton, Gyllenhaal, the short woman with the Lisa Simpson voice) that there weren't enough regular humans to make the caricatures effective. Instead the humans with natural mannerisms and emotions (Paul Dano and Giancarlo Esposito) were the ones that stood out as being odd.

I was actually cringing while watching Jake Gyllenhaal act. How does a director manage to achieve this? That's like a coach putting Kobe Bryant in the lineup and then sticking his foot out and tripping him every time he runs past the bench.

4.5 / 10

Two for the little kid, two for the CGI pig, another 0.5 for Dano resisting whatever the director probably tried to make him do.

wonder woman- 7/10

pretty good and i had low hopes for gadot, but she wasnt bad despite her boobs not being nearly as epic as lynda carter's.

that said, i am not a comic book guy at all, so when i watch these, it is all new to me. i find it super strange that they would weave a superhero created sometime in the last century with actual gods that have been part of history for centuries and centuries. i dont think they should weave their stories in like that as it seems weird. wonder woman against ares? i realize both were created, but i guess they original gods get some credibility for being so old. lol

also, i am about done with this spinning shit that every fight scene has now along with the slow motion stuff.

still, not a bad watch

i guess in the next film out i can watch aquaman battle moses and then flash take on jesus

Update: July 6, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: Perfectly captures Peter Parker's quintessential high school life, Spider-Man: Homecoming is fresh, funny, and boatloads of fun. Thank you, Marvel Studios.

rhdXtIS.jpg

After the disappointing critical and box office performance of Amazing Spider-Man 2, the franchise was headed for a disaster. Sony Pictures didn't have a clue what to do next. They were already planning a soft reboot of Spider-Man in a Sinister Six movie, which they did a poor job of selling and which no one wanted to see. Sony was also considering an all-female Spider-Man characters spinoff and even an Aunt May solo movie. Ay yai yai.

Sony was NEVER going to let go of the Spider-Man movie rights and they would have just continued to reboot it with most likely catastrophic results. Then, Marvel Studios came to the rescue. They offered to make Spider-Man movies for Sony (Sony will keep the movie rights and profits). In exchange, Spider-Man will finally appear in the Marvel Cinematic Universe where he belongs.

Spider-Man's soft introduction in last year's Captain America: Civil War was a smashing success. Audience loved the character's youthful, infectious exuberance and hyper-kinetic action. Thinking that this moment wouldn't come, fans finally got to see the Web-Slinger interact and battle various iconic MCU characters. The next obstacle is would the audience accept another reboot solo movie of the Wall-Crawler? Homecoming casts all those doubts away because this one is a winner.

JXjz1Fo.jpg

Marvel Studios did everything right with Homecoming. They forwent with the origin story, Uncle Ben wasn't even mentioned once at all. They focused on Peter Parker's high school life and not just a glance or dabble but really went all out from start to end. Not a peep about Norman Osborn, Harry Osborn or Gwen Stacy which was smart since they're all played out from the last two installments.

Star Tom Holland makes a very strong case to being the best Peter Parker of all three movie iterations. Tobey Maguire's Peter Parker was a bit sheepish, a bit mopey but all around great. Andrew Garfield was decent but the angry emo schtick got old real quick. Holland's performance is just dynamite, full of energy, innocence, charm and high-spiritedness but also excels in some heavy drama when need be.

Continuing his role from Civil War, Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) continues to play the mentor to Peter and it's a good fit for Stark as he and Peter have a good dynamic going on. For those fearing that Iron Man would overwhelm Spider-Man in his own movie, you can rest easy, Stark only appears in a few scenes. Good job by Jon Favreau as a grumpy Happy Hogan and Peter's liaison to Stark.

ZIyBV5n.png

Michael Keaton was thoroughly enjoyable as the main villain Adrian Toomes a.k.a. The Vulture. Keaton just enhances every scene he is in on the film and his Vulture was a formidable physical threat. The Vulture could have been one of the best MCU villains if they just pushed the boundaries a bit more but they held back, opting to give him a more humane side to his character. Toomes' blue-collar backstory was also enjoyable and a nice change from the standard villain wanting to rule or destroy the world.

Marisa Tomei's Aunt May doesn't have much to do in the film, which is another smart move by Marvel since they don't want the film to be bogged down by unnecessary (and potentially downer) subplots. Just keep it light and breezy. Marisa still looks gorgeous and sexy even at 52.

What's a high school movie without a bunch of colorful characters surrounding the main character. Ned (Jacob Batalon) is Peter's best friend and is just an all-around fantastic sidekick. He matches Peter in nerdiness and enthusiasm, and his conversations with him are hilarious. Although he isn't the cliche jock bully the character is mostly associated with, Flash (Tony Revolori) was very effective in playing Peter's school nemesis. Michelle (Zendaya) is the amusing, snarky oddball who keeps on popping up unexpectedly.

QVtUipP.jpg

What's impressive about Marvel Studios' offerings is most of their movies have different genres spliced into them. Captain America: The Winter Soldier was an espionage action thriller. Ant-Man was a heist comedy. Doctor Strange was a supernatural actioner. Guardians of the Galaxy was a space hi-jinx adventure. And now, a teen coming-of-age high school movie from Spider-Man: Homecoming.

Co-writer and director Jon Watts superbly captures the essence of the 80s John Hughes movies as well as some of the 90s teen flicks like Can't Hardly Wait. It's to their credits that even if you remove the superhero aspects from the film, Homecoming would still be as entertaining and enjoyable just as a standalone high school movie. There were even moments in the film where I thought the superhero main plot was a killjoy as I wanted to see what happens next in Peter's personal life.

The action is fast and frenetic but a bit clumsy which makes sense since Spider-Man is still a newbie in crimefighting. The costume looks good except it could use some more accentuation on the black lines because there are times it looked like CGI even when it's an actual person on a suit.

aO6iNiA.jpg

One thing I am not too keen about the Spider-Man suit is it’s too hi-tech. There's even an A.I. (voiced by Jennifer Connelly) that greatly assists Spider-Man in everything he does. First of all, the talking A.I. is Iron Man's schtick. Second, a great part of Spider-Man's charm is his ability to tackle problems with his ingenuity. So having a supercomputer telling Spidey the answers to everything takes away some of the fun. These are just minor quibbles I have and doesn't really affect the quality of the film.

Disappointed with Michael Giacchino's main theme for Spider-Man. It was decent but not overly memorable. At times it teased the theme song for the 1967 Spider-Man cartoon show ("Spider-Man, Spider-Man, Does whatever a spider can") but never fully commits to it during the movie.

I've always said that it was a mistake for the first Spider-Man movie (2002) to let Peter graduate high school midway through the film and felt that they should have spent at least two movies exploiting his senior high years. Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige agrees as the next two Homecoming sequels will still be set in high school. This really shows Feige truly understands the essence of the character and shows his maturity by not rushing the character's growth. Now let's hope Sony doesn't screw this up.

Overall, Spider-Man: Homecoming is fantastic, fresh, funny, and boatloads of fun, and the best Spider-Man movie since Spider-Man 2. Stick around for two post-credits scenes. Welcome home, Spidey.

Rating: 8.5/10

uPb86lB.jpg

The funny opening video blog sets the right tone for the movie. It was also cool seeing Peter’s behind-the-scenes journey to Civil War. They immediately followed it up with a quick but very informative glimpse at Peter’s high school life. Didn’t notice it until later but I was smiling throughout the whole two segments.

A lot of people will have a problem with Flash being latino and/or being short and smart. Rather than rehash the big, sports jock bully archetype, I think it’s a fresh take on the character who has appeared twice in both movie iterations and nothing came out of it. By making the character smart, Flash’s frequent interactions with Peter would seem normal since they run around in the same circle at school.

There’s something very cool with the way they depicted the Vulture and the way his crew revere/fear him. When his crew got into some trouble, they’re hesitant to call and annoy him but they do because they know he can bail them out. It’s also pretty cool to see the Vulture when he’s in heist mode, especially when he detaches himself from the suit.

There was a little Sinister Six vibe going on with the Vulture’s crew. You have the Vulture, Tinkerer (Michael Chernus) and two Shockers.

Ayki5aS.jpg

A lot of people thought that Vulture would make for a lame villain. I’ve always disagreed with that statement and said many times that if they just upgraded his look and suit, he would be a fearsome villain. And I was right. Love that Vulture’s wings also act as appendages for his arms and that the metal feather tips are like scissor blades.

Donald Glover plays a small-time criminal named Aaron Davis. In the comics, Davis is also known as the Prowler. In the Ultimate Comics Universe, the Prowler is Miles Morales' uncle. In the movie, Aaron mentioned he has a nephew. It's a nice Easter Egg teasing Miles Morales in the MCU.

Nice touch on Peter having a fear of heights during the Washington Monument scene.

The plot twist of the Vulture being Liz Allen’s dad was a pleasant surprise. I did not see it coming and I’m glad that I didn’t read any spoilers about it. The kitchen scene that followed was pretty tense and Peter’s facial expression being flooded with all kinds of emotions was well done.

g2ZUhBV.jpg

Peter freaking out and crying after being buried underneath concrete rubble was a great scene. It reminded us that underneath it all, he’s still a kid. Then there was the hero moment when Peter musters up all strength to free himself from the rubble. Comic book fans will instantly recognize this as a homage to one of the character’s iconic feats (The Amazing Spider-Man #33). It’s a good scene but I wish the Vulture threatened to visit Aunt May and that would have been the primary motivation for Spidey to free himself.

Peter losing to the Vulture in their ending battle was unconventional but a nice spin from the standard hero overcoming the odds to win the day trope. And keeping the Vulture alive at the end was smart as they’re thinking long-term as opposed to Sam Raimi’s trilogy where they’re killing iconic villains left and right.

Zendaya, who plays Michelle Jones, reveals at the very end that her friends call her "M.J." At first I thought Michelle is Mary Jane but it could be a different character altogether. The question now is will Mary Jane Watson still show up in the future or is Michelle taking her place as Peter’s love interest.

Michelle seemed very observant, which makes me think that she secretly knows Peter is Spider-Man.

YGbEGxm.jpg

Michael Mando (Nacho in Better Call Saul) is playing a thug named Mac Gargan. In the comics, Gargan is the Scorpion. At the first post-credits scene, Gargan says to Toomes that he has friends on the outside, possibly alluding the coming of Sinister Six.

When Gargan asks Toomes if he knows the identity of Spider-Man, Toomes lies and denies it. Could this be the start of a redemption arc for Toomes or he just wants to get his revenge all to himself.

It’s revealed that Homecoming takes place 8 years after the events of the first Avengers movie. Since Avengers takes place in 2012, Homecoming would be around 2020. This contradicts with what happened in Captain America: Civil War which took place in 2016. In Homecoming, only a few months have passed after the events of Civil War. All of this is a non-issue if they just said that Homecoming takes place 5 years after the first Avenger movie.

9BIZ1iJ.jpg

Aunt May finding out about Peter is Spider-Man and screaming, “What the Fu…!” was a great ending. I wholeheartedly approve of the idea of May learning Peter’s secret since it will provide some compelling interactions and a deeper connection between the two of them in the sequels.

Peter’s Spider-Sense seems to be non-existent in this film. Kevin Feige says it’s still there but done more internally, like an instinct or second nature to Peter. This might sound blasphemous, especially coming from a huge Spider-Man fan, but I am okay with the Spider-Sense gone. In a movie or TV setting, it’s kinda’ hard to find some justifications why he keeps on getting tagged if he had Spider-Sense (this would be similar to why smart fans complain why The Flash keeps getting hit when he’s moving at super speed). And since you don’t want your hero to be untouchable with the villains unable to even make physical contact with him, it’s understandable if they’re trying to tone down his Spider-Sense.

I love that Peter turned down being an Avenger. For comic book fans like me who think the 1960s to 1980s series were the best years of the character, the idea of him being an Avenger wasn’t as appealing. He works best as a solo crimefighter that gets to interact and team-up with various Marvel teams from time to time. If he is an Avenger, it sort of signifies that he has finally made it, his financial troubles are over, the public will adore him and no longer think he is a menace, law enforcement will no longer try to arrest him. Part of the charm of the Spider-Man’s mythos is that he is a constant loser, for every battle he wins, he loses at home, at school, at his job, or at his love life. But despite all these struggles, he perseveres and that’s why he is a hero.

It's one of my most anticipated films this year. Haven't seen it though since it's not showing yet here. But glad you loved it.

Fuck bro. Where do you live? I watched it at a VIP theatre so the wife and I crushed a bottle of red and a cheese tray.

Caught part of Kingsman on tv the other day (I signed up for a free trial of DirectTVNow in order to catch New Japan Pro Wrestling's U.S. special shows last weekend). Loved what I saw so I procured the uncensored version.

Extremely enjoyable movie. Not sure why, but for some reason I had a pretty different idea of what it was before I saw it. Like, I thought it would be its more serious elements without the comedy / farce elements. Like ... 90s Bonds films crossed with the type of violence in a Watchmen or something like that.

Which, don't get me wrong, I would have liked something like that a lot, but I *loved* what I actually got.

9/10. Instant new classic.

I don't know about "the worst" as I've seen some pretty terrible war films, but it definitely didn't live up to the hype and even seemed like a misfire for someone on Gibson's level. After some of the amazing films he's done this one just seemed bland and boring and a little by the numbers.

Mel Gibson's worst film yet. I was so looking forward to it.

Night of the Demon (1988)

Finally got around to watching it to its entirety. Good lord...it was entertaining.

7/10

Concert plans feel through Monday night so on a whim i decided to go see spiderman.

6/10. I've said before that I'm not a comic book fan so I mostly go in to these superhero movies without any type of expectations beyond wanting to see a decent movie. This movie was odd. Kinda felt like a 90s teen movie that just happened to have a superhero in it.

I liked Logan much better in regards to superhero movies.

London has fallen: 7/10

A fun action movie, that got better with every Heineken.

10/10. This film is a lock for next year Oscar for Best Documentary. This is the best documentary I've seen since O.J. Simpson: Made in America (which is my favorite documentary of all time, and for which I forecast a similarly blind prediction that came true). You guys owe it to yourselves to see it.

MV5BMWEzMGUxNDMtN2Y3Ni00MThlLWI5ZTItYTMzMjZhMDEyZmIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjU4Njk1NjA@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,677,1000_AL_.jpg

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6333074/?ref_=ttawd_awd_tt
Aleppo Media Clinic said:
After five years of war in Syria, Aleppo's remaining residents prepare themselves for a siege. Khalid, Subhi and Mahmoud, founding members of The White Helmets, have remained in the city to help their fellow citizens-and experience daily life, death, struggle and triumph in a city under fire.

Syrian filmmaker Feras Fayyad in collaboration with Aleppo Media Center filmed the Syrian war for two years, which led to this breathtaking work, an imperative piece of boots-on-the-ground reportage following the exploits of the White Helmets, a search and rescue organization who indefatigably struggle on amidst Aleppo's humanitarian catastrophe.
I caught this on the public channel the other night. It was difficult to watch. It follows some of the most heroic, courageous, and noble human beings to exist on our planet Earth. It was directed by Firas Fayyad, and it follows these founders of the humanitarian group The White Helmets as they strive to protect human life-- in all its fragility-- from the timelessly unavoidable savagery of human nature.

Firas Fayyad
MV5BMTUzNjU4NTY4N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTI2NzE5MDI@._V1_UX214_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Syrian filmmaker Firas Fayyad: 'The White Helmets made me believe in humanity'

Those who impugn the White Helmets owe it to themselves to see the true core and heart of that outfit as it exists in these three men. It's almost surreal for an American to view this, the veil it peels away, like some massive dome was lifted before your eyes, to remind you of the extraordinary bubble you inhabit.

I want to give as little away as possible, since without seeing anything yet to be released, I believe this documentary will win the Oscar for Best Documentary this coming year, in spite of the inopportune timing of its release towards that end, but at one point all of them begin singing one of the most macabre songs I've ever heard like, one that sounded like some pub hymn or stadium sports anthem here in the West, but with lyrics ironically brandishing pride with mention of "severed limbs" flying because "that is Syria". I thought to myself, "Jesus, this is a folk song they all know off the top of their heads? This is what people sing together for levity in Syria?"

Perhaps the most iconic shot in the movie is of a bombed building, with thick concrete walls, blown open, as if some stone giant had reached down with his massive hand, and stripped away the concrete, steel beams, and everything else along the outside like some clumsy metal claw in those machines where you fish for toys, futilely grasping at uprooting the entire building, but carrying away the concrete like sand melting off a parched sand castle, and yet there, right near the edge of the building with the entire wall to its unit disappeared, and even much of the floor, right on the precipice, stood a beautiful fish tank, unmolested, mounted on its stand, with the fish still alive and swimming in it; as pristine as if nothing had happened at all, fragile as it was, like the slightest tremor hadn't even been felt, adequate for an extravagant floor display in some metropolitan boutique, directly adjacent to these 2-ft thick layers of concrete contorted in their jagged agony.

This survived-- this-- when children and mothers and fathers were buried in their homes, their beds, or disappeared beneath the rubble forever, while even the building's proud limestone could not protect them in this harsh land, did not survive, either, yet these fish swim in a dreamworld like Americans behind the veil of our bubbled reality. The fish continue to swim, knowing how to do nothing else, I imagine, and beyond them you sense that they are still not alone, because this building isn't abandoned, and people go on not without mere insulation, but without the very walls and roofs. This is home. There is nowhere else.

37918753_401.jpg

At one point, one of them says something to the effect of, "Assad is against us. Russia is against us. The West is against us. Everyone is against us." For a moment, I bristled. I said aloud to myself, "Hey, bud, we just dropped 59 Tomahawks, we haven't abandoned you." Yet, as I pondered why he felt that way, the realization crept over me, and I understood. He wasn't talking about missiles. He wasn't talking about Assad or ISIS or any of that. He was talking about violence.

These are men committed to nonviolence, committed to worship life, not destroy it, and all we have to offer is 59 Tomahawks. All we promise is more war, more violence, more of the same solution: "What's that, you say? There's a problem? Kill people." That's what he is fighting, and I have allowed myself to become his enemy enlisted by assent against his cause.

In that moment, I was devastated. I was ashamed. I didn't care about my sound philosophical objections to his own, wider religion. All I could think of was the final scene of Dances with Wolves where the fearless brave proudly shouts down from atop his horse on the cliff to Costner, "Dances with Wolves! I am Wind In His Hair. Do you see that I am your friend? Can you see that you will always be my friend?"

I promised myself: I will never forget that. That is my reality...because everything else is vagrant. It is, and will continue to be, my only true reality. I was not born into ignorance. I was shown a better way. Jai Guru Deva, Om. Nothing's gonna change my world.

Kareem Abeed, Co-Founder of The White Helmets
37797648_404.jpg

“We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection. The mystic chords of memory will swell when again touched, as surely they will be, by the better angels of our nature.”
- Abraham Lincoln, 16th President of the United States

Last edited:
Shut In

Not too bad, actually. A bit of a twist helped.

7/10

Bleed for This - 7/10

Aaron Eckhart was excellent. Miles Teller was miscast as a boxer. He looked uncoordinated.

Update: July 13, 2017

Dragonlord's Review of WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
(No Spoilers)

Bottom Line: With an amazing lifelike quality and a superb, soulful acting performance, I'm now convinced Caesar is real and Andy Serkis is the CGI one.

yOxL1Rf.png

[Note: Not feeling well. Apologies if this review is not as well-written as I'd like it to be.]

Two years after the events of Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, Caesar (Andy Serkis) and the apes are in the middle of a war with a human military faction called Alpha-Omega, led by the Colonel (Woody Harrelson).

The special effects on the apes is simply amazing and flawlessly rendered but it is Caesar who shines the brightest with amazingly detailed facial expressions and a soulful performance by motion-capture king Andy Serkis.

The other exemplary performance is from Woody Harrelson who portrays the ruthless Colonel, who is clearly a homage to Marlon Brando's Colonel Kurtz in Apocalypse Now. The nod to the 1979 war film is more obvious with a graffiti display of "Ape-opaclypse Now." They did a good job of providing a backstory for the Colonel's motivation that I sort of empathize with the character. And his comeuppance is nothing short of poetic.

Two notable new characters are Bad Ape (Steve Zahn), a zoo chimpanzee who adds some much needed levity to the film, and Nova (Amiah Miller), an adorable young girl who is unable to talk but her expressiveness speaks volumes. Nova, who is the same character in the original 1968 movie, is instrumental in reminding Caesar of his humanity so to speak.

They also added a new element to the story that would make for the events of the 1968 original movie more feasible.

Aside from Apocalypse Now, there's a lot of movie (The Great Escape to name a few) and genre nods (western). But the most allegorical resemblance is from the Book of Exodus where a heavily-burdened Caesar must lead his apes to the promise land. The very end of the final battle even has a spectacular Exodus resolution. The Colonel building a wall could also be interpreted as wink to current events.

Overall, War for the Planet of the Apes is a touching, emotionally-charged ending to a fantastic trilogy.

Rating: 8/10

Star Trek Beyond

I never watched the TV show or the older movies.. Saw the first movie with this cast. (are there just the two?)

I thought it was pretty good, liked the first one better... 7/10

Well, I finally got around to seeing Blue is the Warmest Color.

Odd that this movie was "controversial" because of the sex scenes apparently not being representative of how lesbians make love.

I think it's unfortunate that the sex scenes seemed to have hogged some headlines. Honestly, I found it one of the most moving and memorable movies I have ever seen. Granted I am a documentary guy much more so than action and explosions and this flick was so phenomenally acted by actors I am 100% unfamiliar with, it was soooo easy to lose yourself into the movie and the way it's shot, very easy to forget you are watching a movie.

I wound up really caring about the two mains who just ocme across so damn real, and seeing them fight with each other was horribly moving. And in sum, it is a bit of a tragedy about how in life people change and it's so hard for two people to keep "clicking" in life.

If you haven't seen it, my advice, turn off all the lights, eliminate all distractions, and prepare for three of the finest hours of film you may ever see. 10/10 A++++++++++++++.

Captain Fantastic-8.5

Really enjoyed this one. Mostly a drama with some pretty funny parts sprinkled in. Viggo Mortensen nails this role in my opinion.

The story is compelling and believable. I feel that this movie could have come out as kind of preachy (for lack of a better term) but I give credit where credit is due. They presented both sides of a spectrum, and showed the pros and cons of each side in a fair, balanced, entertaining and realistic manner.

Well worth the watch.

Innocence - 4/10

Kelly Reilly is a hot milf that's about it.

Mystic_River_poster.jpg

9/10

If you haven't seen it, go watch it immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back