Discolouration Of Leather On Winning Gloves?

RobertoTheRedDuran

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hello.

First post on this forum.

I live in the uk and recently purchased a pair of winning gloves (White 12 oz hook and loop). Only had them for 2-3 months and already the colour is starting to fade. Infact more than that, the white just seems to basically be falling off the gloves, sort of coming off in small flakes.

Is this normal for white winning gloves? I was told that the white ones won't hold up as well as the other colours (obviously) but i didnt expect them to start to deteriorate this quick. The main area where this is happening is where the finger tips end. There are grey patches there where the white colouring has basically just fallen off. It's also starting to happen on the edge of the fist area.

Has anyone else had the same problem in such a short space of time? To see this happen in such a short space of time has now got me wondering about the authenticity of the gloves, although they came from a very reliable supplier here in the uk. They have had some pretty heavy use in those 2-3 months, 12 rounds of heavy bag more or less every day (give or take).

This seemed to be the best place to enquire about this because the gear reviews and such like on here seem to be the most in depth and detailed on the web.

Any info on this apprectiated. I'll try and post some pics if i can figure out how.

Having trouble uploading the pictures of the gloves, the image is to big for the server is the message i'm getting.

Yes, I've encountered this on newer pairs and seen same with other gym mates - mostly on custom gear. Strangely my 4 year old pair of white 18oz are still going strong with only minor cracking/pitting in the colour.

Spoke to Steve M about it while I was in Japan a little while back and he acknowledged there had been a definite drop in quality of the Winning gloves. Most times America-Ya were simply replacing at their own cost as Winning Co didn't seem to care (something about a new head of the company)

Where did you get your gloves from?

I got them from CM boxing supplies which i'm certain wouldn't deal in dodgy gear as everyone in the uk seems to go through them when looking for brands like winning, grant, etc. I'm sure they're legit.

When i say deteriorate i only mean the colour wearing off. The actual feel of the gloves just gets better and better. No deteriortaion there.

Yeah I've had stuff from them before too - the main guy Chris seems reasonable, maybe try contacting him and see what he can do about it?

I'm assuming you've been putting them through some heavy use. I've seen the deterioration in many Winning gloves - I would have the say that sweat is probably a huge factor. I always see it happening on the points of contact on one's face where they touch the gloves to to their nose, cheek or chin. The gloves I've seen with heavy wear have mostly been white ones.

Also, a couple of notes.
- According to a pro leather worker, in a given batch of leather, black will probably be the most durable, which I think means that white or any of those metallic colors are the least durable.

- A source that buys from Winning directly in Japan is telling me that Winning has different "grades of gloves". I'm a bit skeptical, but I'm pressed to believe his claims more and more. He tells me that Winning leather is graded from 1-5. The particular shop I visited apparently carries "grade 4", since they couldn't tell the difference between 4 and 5, and that 5 level gloves were extremely expensive. If this is really the case, then I believe that the middlemen (CM boxing, and the Rakuten vendors) should disclose this information.

On thr same note, I think I found some evidence for the source's claims in the description of Steve Mitani's online shop from the description for some 16 oz custom gloves:
●Color WHITE x Gold
●Base Model MS600 lace up 16oz professional use made of genuine leather
●WINNING professional gloves with lace.
●Highest quality for professional use

The fact that they write that "highest quality" suggests that there might be a not "highest quality" within the Winning brand. Not exactly sure if it was a sales tactic. I sincerely doubt that the ACTUAL Winning company in Japan would dare put out an inferior product out all of a sudden. I would very much sooner believe that they've had prr-existing grades. Also, apparently there are different price points for the different grades of Winning gear. Anyways, I don't have hard evidence for any of this, but I might be going to Winning USA soon to ask Kaz, though I'm sure he won't really be pleased with the prying.

gloves are meant to be used and abused not meant to look pretty in your gear bag

gloves are meant to be used and abused not meant to look pretty in your gear bag

I think you have gloves confused with alcohol. I use my gloves exclusively for shadowboxing while I'm drinking.

well if you only do drunken shadow boxing then your gloves should still look in pristine condition .

and i have some 18oz gloves PM me if your interested lol

i have 2 pairs of WINNING 16oz and had no problem, but their colours are red and blue and had no discoloring or flaking at all. ALWAYS hear white is the worst colour, but i use my gloves near exclusively for sparring only.

Hii,
I hear if there's synthetic leather and geunine leather for the gloves.
Can it be the synthetic leather that make the color

I have custom Gold Winning gear and it's turned brownish. I don't get why people are bothered by it, I like the look. It's not like the leather is damaged or anything. They are supposed to look and feel worn in.

I have custom Gold Winning gear and it's turned brownish. I don't get why people are bothered by it, I like the look. It's not like the leather is damaged or anything. They are supposed to look and feel worn in.
The browned gold Winning gloves are like faded jeans. They look pretty badass.

Hii,
I also have white and blue color. And when i compare both of them, the skin of the leathers very different. The blue color looks like dove. Maybe that's why the blue color more durable than the white one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back