'Dirty meat': Shocking hygiene failings discovered in US pig and chicken plants

There's been no shortage of problems with chemicals used to grow things either, etc, so the issue of food handling affects everyone.

It's not just handing that should worry people. Having thousands of animals in one area is a serious problem, especially when the overuse of antibiotics is a huge risk to human health and could turn into an epidemic.

Antibiotic use on US farms is at least nine times higher than use on British farms, raising industry concerns over a possible free trade deal post-Brexit.New research by campaign pressure group Alliance to Save Our Antibiotics shows that antibiotic use in the US is double that for pigs compared to British farms, three times higher in chickens and five times higher in turkeys.But the highest dosage occurs on American farms rearing cattle for beef, which is at least nine times as much compared to British beef farms. The EU currently bans US beef due to the widespread use of growth hormones in its industry.Suzi Shingler, at the Alliance to Save Our Antibiotics, told The Guardian that US cattle farmers are "massively overusing" antibiotics. “This finding shows the huge advantages of British beef, which is often from grass-reared animals, whereas US cattle are usually finished in intensive feedlots,” Ms Shingler explained.“Trade negotiators who may be tempted to lift the ban on US beef should not only be considering the impact of growth hormones, but also of antibiotic resistance due to rampant antibiotic use.”The high antibiotic use rate in the US and parts of Asia has led the World Health Organisation (WHO) to urge farmers worldwide to stop using antibiotics to promote growth and prevent disease in healthy animals because of the serious risks to human health that result.The UN agency said the overuse of antibiotics in farming has been highlighted as one of the "biggest threats to human health."
Read More: https://www.farminguk.com/News/US-farm-antibiotic-use-at-least-nine-times-higher-_48563.html

Last edited:
It's not just handing that should worry people. Having thousands of animals in one area is a serious problem, especially when the overuse of antibiotics is a huge risk to human health and could turn into an epidemic.

I was crudely trying to fit in all such problematic actions under one roof with that word. You're of course entirely correct, that's a very important and disturbing issue.

I was crudely trying to fit in all such problematic actions under one roof with that word.

ok, fair enough.

You're of course entirely correct, that's a very important and disturbing issue.

Indeed it is. A recent example I found most disturbing is in india where they're using the strongest antibiotic available for humans "colistin" as a preventitive on large chicken farms.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...with-worlds-strongest-antibiotics-study-finds

The drug is also used as a 'growth promoter' in other countries.

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/crisis-looms-as-2800-tonnes-of-critical-colistin-tracked-for-use/

The antibiotic levels are insane. Humans are not supposed to ingest antibiotics without their body having the need for so. They're shoving Z packs into chickens, and we're wolfing the shit down.

Indeed it is. A recent example I found most disturbing is in india where they're using the strongest antibiotic available for humans "colistin" as a preventitive on large chicken farms.

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...with-worlds-strongest-antibiotics-study-finds

The drug is also used as a 'growth promoter' in other countries.

https://www.vettimes.co.uk/news/crisis-looms-as-2800-tonnes-of-critical-colistin-tracked-for-use/

That's sick. It's a shame that it doesn't get more attention since it risks creating some really horrible resistent bacteria.

I hope they manage to develop antibiotics of different families than the ones that are used, but if the practice of using it on cattle goes on then it won't even matter.

That's sick. It's a shame that it doesn't get more attention since it risks creating some really horrible resistent bacteria.

I hope they manage to develop antibiotics of different families than the ones that are used, but if the practice of using it on cattle goes on then it won't even matter.

It's scary stuff when you think of possibilities. And with little regulations in devloping countries and very loose regulations in America for example, it could lead to a global epidemic. That's the biggest worry of mine in regards to intensive farming.

It's scary stuff when you think of possibilities. And with little regulations in devloping countries and very loose regulations in America for example, it could lead to a global epidemic. That's the biggest worry of mine in regards to intensive farming.

Yes, that definitely is a bigger problem than just getting some harmful substances on our food, and certainly not because the latter isn't really bad as well.

Are most people even aware that gas chambers are used as a way to slaughter pigs?
It's apparently the most "humane" way to do it... Watching them scream and thrash about as their insides are burning doesn't seem very humane to me, but what do I know?

My favorite chicken comes from the birds that have the most tumors and can no longer stand up because they’re so sick.

I love that they spend their lives sitting in their own shit with open sores covering their bodies. Living with rats and rat shit

The antibuotics used to keep them barely alive is where all the flavor comes from.

Huh?
You might need to be more meticulous with your game handling. I’ve hunted my entire life, and I can’t remember a time when I had urine or feces in contact with flesh. That’s just poor care. Don’t cut the bladder, stomach, or intestines. Secure the anus with string if needed.

In a controlled environment like a slaughterhouse, it should be even easier to avoid contamination.

Seriously, I don’t want folks to think that contamination is anything but preventable with proper care. Butchering is messy but piss and shit contacting meat is NOT normal or right.

Your are 100% correct.

Driving behind a Purdue truck is pretty fucking gross. A bunch of sickly looking chickens missing half their feathers crammed in tiny cages shitting on each other. If this kind of stuff is in the open, there must be some horrific shit behind the scenes.

I dunno if Europe is any better, this is how pigs are slowly tortured, gassed and handled in France:

horrific shit.

As an avid hunter and having slaughtered a lot of livestock this bugs the heck out of me. Not sure why this is better than a bullet or pneumatic bolt to the head? Perhaps they are trying to preserve the head for sale.

Less oversight is needed of course Let the market sort this out!

American factory produced meat is banned in the EU with good reason.

We have a motto in my house "Fire kills everything" .

So, when we doubt about the safety of something, we just boil until everything is dead.

Do you like, have an autoclave in your kitchen or something?

It's apparently the most "humane" way to do it... Watching them scream and thrash about as their insides are burning doesn't seem very humane to me, but what do I know?

"Humane slaughter" is an oxymoron. You can't humanely kill an animal that wants to live. There are only lesser cruel ways of killing.

/imo

Part of it is the restrictions placed upon farmers. Animals will come in sick because they're in small enclosed spaces with other animals.

Do you always make up narratives when you post?
jJmiG2h.gif

Vegeables themselves won't make you sick, they get contaminated via poor handling
We dodged your spinach and raspberry export a few years ago because they were filled with e-coli. That's more than a "poor handling".

We have a motto in my house "Fire kills everything" .

So, when we doubt about the safety of something, we just boil until everything is dead.
LOL, "fire kills everything" proceed to BOIL in water. I was picturing you going over the steak with a blowtorch.

Back