Dips Dips and More Dips

Social Distance Warrior

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
How often do you guys incorporate dips into your work outs?

do you use it more as an accessory and/or warm up exercise, or do you utilize it for Chest/Triceps days?

what are you some of your favorite work outs involving dips?

Thanks in advance

I usually just do them on push day. I have a rogue matador attachment for them. I like to do 5 sets of them with 44lbs of chains hanging from my waist and on the last 2 sets I drop the dip belt and go to failure. They really give a nice stretch on the chest. Sometimes I’ll pair them with dumbell pullovers or the yoga cobra stretch.

i use stands and rings. both provide different advantages.
i like to do one set of dips and one set of inverted rows in alternation. amrap.
3 to 5 sets with failure only on the last set.

i like to have the floor as a limit of rom, meaning either i touch the floor with the knees or the feet.

i also do dips in the downwards ladder fashion, meaning you do a set amrap, stop maybe one or two reps before failure,
and after a short break you do the next set with one rep less. normally i also alternate these with chin ups or inverted rows.

i like volume and agonist antagonist training.

once i did dips in a 5x5 fashion which was great.

Dude dips are my favorite exercise ever. It’s awesome to remember back I first started that I couldn’t even do one rep weighing 120 lbs! Now I’m doing sets with 3 plates(135 lbs) weighing 230. It’s amazing. Greatest tricep exercise in my opinion.

Ive tried close grip bench press but idk I just feel like when youre stuck hanging like that and you push yourself up so much goes into that and the stretch at the bottom is unreal.

Do at least 1 set a week with heavy weighted reps then drop the weight belt after failure and hit body weight for burnout. You’ll feel huge afterward. Dat pump is unmatched.

Dude dips are my favorite exercise ever. It’s awesome to remember back I first started that I couldn’t even do one rep weighing 120 lbs! Now I’m doing sets with 3 plates(135 lbs) weighing 230. It’s amazing. Greatest tricep exercise in my opinion.

Ive tried close grip bench press but idk I just feel like when youre stuck hanging like that and you push yourself up so much goes into that and the stretch at the bottom is unreal.

Do at least 1 set a week with heavy weighted reps then drop the weight belt after failure and hit body weight for burnout. You’ll feel huge afterward. Dat pump is unmatched.

Great job dude and thanks for the tips!!

I believe dips are one of the best upper-body exercises you can do, whether you're going heavy for strength or for high reps.

That said, after a shoulder surgery 10 years ago I can't really do them anymore. Too taxing on the joint.

I incorporate them on rep push days.

I do weighted dips to hit my triceps hard on the same days that I bench. 2 x week right now.

Don't really do them anymore. Used to use them as accessory for bench, OHP, etc. They're ok but it's worth noting it's an exercise that likely has slightly greater risk of injury than most.

For now I do dips between my washer and dryer. It makes a solid dip station and I can adjust the width perfectly. Because of that I have to use I guess its called a reverse grip/ Gironda dips and for me personally nothing has ever hit my chest harder. I have not had any shoulder issues, but I am also not loading up on weight with them.

damned be the dips they fucked my shoulder

I believe dips are one of the best upper-body exercises you can do, whether you're going heavy for strength or for high reps.

That said, after a shoulder surgery 10 years ago I can't really do them anymore. Too taxing on the joint.

They are certainly tough but if you build up strength in the shoulder joint slowly you may be able to do them again.

Used to be one of my fav exercises when a teen lifter but after tearing my shoulder playing rugby and getting a shoulder reconstruction I didn’t lift weights for a year post surgery (just did light rehab).

Started back a year later benching the 6 kilo dumbbells and dips were completely off the table.

Years of training later I finally added a set of dips back into my workout and while it def felt a little dodgy at first I soon built up to 100 reps a workout, weighted etc.

Just gotta go slow and make sure you build up the ROM slowly.

I do them once a week when I do a kind of recovery bodyweight-only workout with dips, pushups, chinups, or whatever else I feel like that day.

It feels like they stretch/open my chest and actually help with mobility in my shoulders, as long as I don't let myself fall down too far at the bottom and jolt myself.

I dip twice a week 3 sets to failure, sometimes weighted. Vertical so they don't hit the chest.

Recently, I've been doing ring dips with a gymnastics lock-out (with supination). They're surprising challenging and I like to think that they're going to help me with shoulder stability/health.

I like to be able to hit the floor at the bottom of my reps.

Now I go slow down so it's not that I'm falling and I don't push off my feet to cheat, but I feel this protects my shoulders more. I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to control the bottom of the movement.

Come at me.

Yeah, I got really good at them (would do 55 lb dumbell for reps at 150 lbs) and loved to do them.

But my shoulder kept hurting no matter how impeccable my form was. Elbows in, no lower than parallel, nothing helped. I just felt like my ligaments were ripping. So I haven't done them in over a year.

Back