Dillon Danis speaks about his suspension from MG academy | Page 2

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dogstarman, Jul 11, 2017.

1. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    All three aren't good enough to win top level tournaments. Marcelo got famous because he destroyed everyone.
    Without being an obnoxious dweeb on social media Gordon Ryan would be just some roided tattooed up guy who pulled of some heel hooks at B league tournaments.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
    lechien and EGDM like this.
  2. Leify Ebb and Flow

Leify
    Danis is too close to this to see it clearly. If he really views Marcelo as a father figure, then he should know that father isn't a sycophantic role. In this case, papa Marcelo was disappointed, dealt out punishment in a limited capacity and Danis felt betrayed.

Don't get mad when the person you look to like a father acts like one.

3. the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

the heed
    /truth

Calibur, mattemate and HunterAcosta like this.
  4. ReAnimator Reagan Double Yellow Card

ReAnimator Reagan
    Actually, it is Marcelo's fucking business. If you are repping MG's team, then yes, what you do outside of BJJ matters and it reflects on MG and can affect business. Dillon is not just a student, but was an ambassador for MG.

So cut the stupid shit.

5. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    Did Dillon do anything that seriously tarnishes the MG academy name. He does come across as ridiculous but did he do anything really bad?

6. Solidus Snake Purple Belt

Solidus Snake
    Man to me BJJ and combat/grappling sports in general seemd like a repellent to this kind of persons until now, I hope yours is just an exception and not some new trend, I could never find the patience to train with a SJW attituded guy/gal, I mean not politically or anything (I despise them politically too but it's stuff I don't care on tatami if you don't bring it), but somebody who actively complained like you said for normal training stuff.. I'm getting stressed at the only idea lol..

zeli_papa and mattemate like this.
  7. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    I cannot imagine the trash talking going on when one party is kung fu based.

8. Quebec Nick Blue Belt

Quebec Nick
    The kung fu school have a good rep in our area. They have enough good fighters fighting against MMA gyms guys and doing great.

Also, it's pretty much JKD (Bruce Lee'S style) based kung fu, nobody is fighting like a tiger or a mantis.

There's a bunch of guys like me who only do the Kickboxing/MMA program and never do any kung fu stuff. It's just that in the gym there's always respect and no jocks and douchebags

9. IamStryker Red Belt

IamStryker
    People took notice of guys like Gordon because he came out of no where to win big tournaments. His attitude has nothing to do with his reputation as a grappler.

10. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    What big tournaments did Gordon win?

11. IamStryker Red Belt

IamStryker
    • IBJJF World No-Gi Champion (2015 brown)
    • EBI 6 OW Champion (2016*)
    • EBI 8 MW Champion (2016)
    • EBI 11 WW Champion (2017)
    • Newaza Challenge Champion (2015)
    • Grappling Industries Tournament Champion (2016*)
    • IBJJF Pan American No-Gi Championship 3rd Place (2014 purple)
    Mostly the No-Gi stuff. He also got a lot of recognition not too long ago from beating Keenan Cornelius. Again, this has nothing to do with his attitude.

Dogstarman likes this.
  12. CFGroup Blue Belt

CFGroup
    Danis could always go and start his own school.....

Oh wait that takes a shitload of work above and beyond just training...

Gotta play by the big man's rules or go build your own castle!

Dogstarman likes this.
  13. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    He trains somewhere else, it's not like Marcelo's academy is the only place in New York.
    Not that everyone has to be someones bitch.

14. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    There is only one top level tournament that has rules similar to what these guys are trying to do, and it's only every 2 years. We'll see how they do in ADCC this year (my guess: really well). But given that their stated intent is to get as good as possible in open rules submission grappling, they have won the biggest tournaments available in that rule set. It's just not a rule set many people train for. It would be like criticizing the best butterfly swimmer for not being the fastest in freestyle. Yeah, more people compete in freestyle so in theory you have to be an even better swimmer to win that event, but if what you're interesting in getting good at is butterfly there's no reason to criticize you for not beating the best freestyle swimmers in their discipline.

mataleaos likes this.
  15. mataleaos Blue Belt

mataleaos
    That's my thing. To a point I understand the criticism that is leveled at them, but all 3 of them are doing ADCC this year and we'll see how it goes. I wonder objectively what it would take to get some of their critics to sort of back off. Would they need to win or make the finals? Would they need to get bronze? 4h place? And would it apply to all of them? 2 out of 3 of them?

16. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    If I was a betting man, I'd bet on Gordon and Garry to medal and Eddie to make it to the quarters or maybe semis. Mostly because I think Eddie's division will be the deepest, and he also seems like the weakest wrestler which matters a lot in ADCC. People know that if they can stall him out they can win against his -1 guard pull. If I was picking any of them to win...probably Garry. Just because he has the strongest all around game and best wrestling, though he himself says Gordon is better so who knows.

Dogstarman likes this.
  17. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    I don't think any place other then first is fit for a king.
    Even a few wins against truly top tier guys in a proper points based format would validate them a lot.

18. MarloStanfield The Wild Colonial Boy

MarloStanfield
    this marcello cunt is a cunt, you dont disown youre children cause they turn out differently to you, as long as they grow aND HAVE THE PRINCIPLES YOU INSTALLED IN THEM, sorry i accidently hit cap lock and didnt notice and way to tired to re do it, anyway banning the kid for 6 month periods over trivial shit, and it was trivial and doing it publiclly is hypocritical to the max, hes a cool kid whose a bit different, so what. anyone who watched the ariel interview and came out of it hating him is a fuckwit

19. Uchi Mata Gold Belt

Uchi Mata
    ...they're not points guys. They train with a totally different strategy in mind. Winning points tournaments wouldn't really validate their success in what they're actually trying to do.

20. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    They are trying to win ADCC. They are elite in no-gi no time limit, I just don't give a shit about that format personally.

Uchi Mata likes this.