Different ways to use the overhand right/left?

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So i was sparring the other day, and i was having some success parrying the jab/straight and throwing an overhand. Its pretty fun when i land this punch, so i was wondering, whats your guys' favorite tricks/techniques to make this one land?

I like to throw an overhand right with my left hand.

Do you have any favorite ways to get it off? like maybe a combo for it, or a counter perhaps?
Sometimes to get it off I just use the left other times I will use both hands at the same time. At my age I have to work fast.

• Fake a level change (takedown, body punch, whatever), and come upstairs with it
  • Use it as a way to close distance into the clinch. I'm strong at the clinch so it works in my favor
  • Cross counter - Technically its an overhand: Guy leaves his lead hand out too long or I time his jab well, and come over top of it

Sometimes to get it off I just use the left other times I will use both hands at the same time. At my age I have to work fast.
giphy.gif

Watch Glover Texiera, his whole career has just been an overhand counter to the jab.

Also it does well off of a shovel hook, throw your lead shovel hook and it positions your body upwards so that you can come down with the overhand rear.

I like the uppercut into overhand as well as the shovel. Uppercut/up jab pops the head up, then overhand finishes the job. It's nice for when guys have their chin locked on their chest and take everything on the forehead.
You can do the same thing as parrying the jab if your oppo paws with their lead hand. Hook the pawing hand thumb, jerk them to slightly off balance them and throw the overhand

I'd normally only use it when I face taller guys but I would use a body jab or two ... then feint and throw the overhand ... I'm a southpaw so it's a left for me

I'd normally only use it when I face taller guys but I would use a body jab or two ... then feint and throw the overhand ... I'm a southpaw so it's a left for me
yeah i'm only 5'8 so guys are usually taller then me. I'm southpaw to, I try to be ambidextrous though.

yeah i'm only 5'8 so guys are usually taller then me. I'm southpaw to, I try to be ambidextrous though.
Was born ambidextrous... write with both hands and all but i favor my left more with power... but I'm 5'9 1/2 so yeah us average height guys will more often than not fight guys taller than us

I can jack off using no hands
I've tried doing this before, but the technique is pretty up there. I haven't reached that level yet.

If you're using pillows it doesn't count, thats USADA level of cheating

I've tried doing this before, but the technique is pretty up there. I haven't reached that level yet.

If you're using pillows it doesn't count, thats USADA level of cheating
Just the power of my mind man

Busting nuts every day yo

Leave your jab in front of their face just to block their vision for a fraction of the second, while you're already swinging a nasty overhand. :D

Back