Difference between bareknuckle defense and glove defense

This is what I was referring to. You better be protecting in other ways than just gloves, because gloves only guards do not help even in hard spars. I have seen Ward defending and I have seen other top boxers like Golovkin defending. These guys use their arms, ellbows, palms, shoulders and etc for blocking, but mostly pre-emptive ducks, slips and forcing such. I have not seen a single top boxers who goes full high guard and says "yes bitch hit my gloves" besides some troll Floyd moves when he wants to show off his defence.

Maybe top boxers, but there are some top kickboxers that use that high guard with punches glued to their heads as their main defence against punches, typically the Dutch style Kickboxers (Robin Van Roosmalen, Rico Verhoeven, Nieky Holzken, etc.). The main reason why is probably because you can't be ducking, slipping and weaving too much when there are kicks, knees and head grabbing involved.

This is what I was referring to. You better be protecting in other ways than just gloves, because gloves only guards do not help even in hard spars. I have seen Ward defending and I have seen other top boxers like Golovkin defending. These guys use their arms, ellbows, palms, shoulders and etc for blocking, but mostly pre-emptive ducks, slips and forcing such. I have not seen a single top boxers who goes full high guard and says "yes bitch hit my gloves" besides some troll Floyd moves when he wants to show off his defence.

yet, both still do put their glove on their face to protect. Every tech feeds off of each other. If disallowed one tech, it can affect whole game.

yet, both still do put their glove on their face to protect. Every tech feeds off of each other. If disallowed one tech, it can affect whole game.

Even GGG who likes to put his hands up rsrelly blocks with the gloves as shown on the highlights.

I started with Muay Thai and then trained MMA striking at SBG and then boxed at a fairly traditional
Boxing gym in England. Today I tried a new club where I now live to cross train at but it was slightly odd in a few ways.

The trainer was very legit and described what he did as American style boxing (which I don’t think exists as such in the same way as the Cuban style etc but what he means is the kind of slickter style many associate with African American boxers).

However unlike the more traditional boxing I’ve been taught in the past, where the elbows are in and punches go straight out from protecting the ribs he teaches what is, in America and Britain and just in terms of textbook boxing in general, a fairly unorthodox guard.

Basically (and I hope I’m remembering the details right m) he was making me flare my elbows out a bit (not to the same extremes you see in some nak muay) and have the lead hand high but to the side of my head so it doesn’t obstruct my view. The shoulder is what covers the hook predominantly.

As many here know Generally one is taught to keep elbows in as a basic position and intiate straight punches vertical and then turn it over to horizontal or further to eliminate elbow flare.

Obviously the guard isn’t fully static but that’s the basic ready position. I think I’d got into a habit of exaggerating the elbow in slightly anyway but he generally thinks it’s more jerky. He instead prefers the hands to already be turned in the basic position.

He says that it’s ok for the elbows to be flared in this guard because you are not twisting the punch over as much they are coming straight out from this cocked position with no telegraph. The power as normal is coming from being rooted and the twist of the hips but the twist of the fist is less but the shoulder whips more than usual, albeit whirls less I find.

It’s strange, his punches are quick and hard to see and come slightly diagonal and outside of your peripheral vision. It just seems like an alternative method but not one that is as normal to formally teach.

He also wants a more active guard a little bit like people here have talked about with bare knuckle boxers in this thread (albeit no where near as exaggerated).

The basic stance is fairly typical in that it is more bladed and longer than what was taught in Muay Thai but the elbows are more flared than usual (and Held slightly differently with the palm facing down and the fist vertical rather than horizontal with palm
down first or toward the opponent as is often taught in Muay Thai)

His answer to body shots was distance and counter punching more than elbows in. We did some moving around the ring whilst he hit My gloves to demonstrate and his hands whilst often up are regularly moving up and down and coming from slightly different angles and it was a slightly weird experience.

Any thoughts on this here as white belts can’t create threads anymore and I’m in a rush and I managed to somewhat connect the thread topic lol.

Last edited:
What I prefer over both these guards is a semi-active guard like the one Andre Ward uses where your read hand stays close to the body while the jabbing hand is in constant motion, extending and retracting to gauge distances, circling to catch the opponent's attention before dropping for a body short from the outside. The legs are always active with constant footwork and level changes, which allows you to stay in a good position to attack without sacrificing defense, even for a brief moment.

Virgil hunter claims wards style evolved from Jack Johnson and his extended guard.

Similar to how Floyd's evolved from Jim Jeffers' crouching crab.

Both methods have bare knuckle Roots

I want to talk about difference between bareknuckle defense and boxing glove defense.

I think the main difference is when wearing boxing glove, you can actually cover up/block using the hand. It is covered with padding, the the attackers hand is also padded. If you are bareknuckled, then taking a strike on the hand especially the back of the hand will hurt a lot. If you take a kick to the back of the hand bare, probably break it.

In boxing and kickboxing, you often see fighters cover their faces and heads with the glove, knowing they can take a hit on the glove. There is the bareknuckle league now, and I really want to see their defense. I am thinking if they want to coverup, they will have to raise the arms further and use the forearms more, but lease their torso more exposed.

Is my assumption correct?

Agreed, gloves allow you to cover up more, and throw with reckless abandonment, when bare knuckle fighting you have to be more economical with strikes, as you you are prone to greather injury,

Back