Dieting & Diabetes Question

Psterio

Comic Book Writer & FC Fan
@White
Reaction score
So I'm a type 2 diabetic, I'm currently down to 308 lbs. I found out I was diabetic in November 2019 at 395 lbs. I've finally got my car and license, sadly a drunk driver side-swiped me and I need to fix it. Once it's fixed to a drivable condition that I trust, I will be joining a gym. I'm trying to get on a diet that will benefit me in keeping a low blood sugar and maintaining weight loss. My goal by the end of the year is to get down to my army weight of 263 lbs. In my 5 year plan, I want to get down to 243 like I was when I was enlisted in the army. With that said, can anyone help me with a suggested diet I should have for breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I love cooking, so that's not an issue. I initially thought about trying the George Hackenschmidt diet but I feel that's a little too ambitious at the moment. George Hackenschmidt if you're unfamiliar with him.

Honestly if you have a medical issue you should probably consult a dietician or doctor. But I would assume lean meats, veggies and minimal carbs would serve you well. Avoid boxed and processed foods. Drink only water. Eliminate fast food.

Honestly if you have a medical issue you should probably consult a dietician or doctor. But I would assume lean meats, veggies and minimal carbs would serve you well. Avoid boxed and processed foods. Drink only water. Eliminate fast food.
I think animal fats unfairly get a bad rap. That stuff and cholesterol is good for you.

Eating clean seems simple when you've been doing it for a while so it's kind of hard to explain to people that are 100% new to it. Basically you want to be eating whole foods, quality products with no or few additives, eliminating highly processed carbs and eating carbs from whole foods (fruit, complex carbs). Eating a lot of produce. Buying organic when you're dealing with products that tend to be highly contaminated in traditional agriculture. If you can buying meat from a local meat producer that has good ethics and maybe grass-fed cattle, although this can be tricky to find with factory farming taking over everything. If you follow these general principles, it doesn't really matter which specific recipe you cook. There's a healthy or lower cal version of just about every recipe out there, so cook what you like.

Already ahead of you guys with water. It's part of the reason I've lost so much weight. Dropping the cola, tea, milkshakes, etc. Now, I can have just one a month, if that, and I'm fine. I feel proud of myself for stopping that.

Any suggestions for meals such as:

Breakfast: Measured bowl of cereal & skim milk, 4 ounces of mixed berries, 12 ounces of orange juice sugar-free.
Lunch: 4 ounces of salmon & mixed green salad with 2 tablespoons of walnut raspberry vinegarette

etc. Something like that. I have no problem eating the same me, day in and day out, for months at a time.

If you have health insurance. You might qualify for nutritionist based on your medical condition.

For now you might not have a gym but you can at least walk around the neighborhood after your dinner for 10 minutes at first. Slowly add 1-2 minutes a day and you can build up to 30 minutes a day. It takes time since you are almost 400 lbs. It's not easy to move at first but you will adjust to it. Make it enjoyable. Put on a pair of headphones and listen to something like a show. The time flies very easily.

I have type 2 diabetes due to prior poor eating. My nutritionist put me on a 1850 cal diet and said not to count my exercise to gain more calories to eat, which I use to do so I could snack more. Small frequent meals and low carbs was prescribed. Plenty of useful info on the internet. Note I have stated before that I use a free software called Diet Power to track my foods and water intake. You can set it up for health goals in your food plan to eat like low sugar and carbs. Software rates your food, based on the type of diet you set like low carbs, so you can choose food and quantity to up your daily nutrition score. Quite powerful software but time consuming. I try to log all the food I intend to eat the prior evening which makes it easier to control snacking. Get a scale and measuring cup set. I even take my scale to the restaurant, weigh food before I eat it and put the rest in a doggie bag before I eat. You set a date and the weight you want to be at. Diet Power based on this weight goal, calculates your daily metabolism and then calculates the calories you need to lose to meet your goal resulting in your suggested daily calorie allowance. The best stick to it diet is one where you set a goal basically losing 1-1.5 lbs each week. The exercise you do helps you beat that so when your weight loss exceeds your goal or your daily calorie allowance is more than your goal of 1850 calories, you move your goal up time wise so your daily calorie allowance goes back up to 1850. Good luck in your weight loss.

Last edited:
My friend went from 290 to 190 at 5 10. He worked out 6 days a week in some capacity whether it was walking or gym etc. His doctor told him your 48 at the rate your going you won't see 55. He did it.

He ate mostly stir fired vegetables and meat. He stopped soda only water. Got used to coffee without a ton of sugar. Good luck let us know your progress hopefully you can inspire people to begin to get better.

You need to figure out your macros and eat around that

Use myfitnesspal to log in everything.

Highly suggest a nutrionist to better guide you as everyone is different and have different meal preferences.

I always thought the rice diet was fascinating. It is a high carb diet for type 2 diabetes. It was started by dr. Walter Keptner of Duke University several decades ago. During his life time Dr. Keptner was famous, known for treating celebrities with weight issues, and type 2 diabetes. A book about his diet ~

The Rice Diet Report: How I Lost Up to 12 Pounds a Week on the World-Famous Weight-Loss Plan (Judy Moscovitz) Paperback – May 15, 2022​

This diet book presents and explains the six phases of the low-protein, low-sodium, low-cholesterol, and high-fiber regimen developed by Dr. Walter Kempner of Duke University.

The NEWEST edition of the Rice Diet was developed by Dr. Walter Kempner of Duke University, fully explained by one of his most successful dieters. Contained within these pages is a diet plan that can rapidly lower your weight and improve your health. But The Rice Diet Report is more than a meal-by-meal quick weight-loss plan: It is a complete guide to one of
medicine’s most respected systems of weight control, as told by a woman who lost 140 pounds in 9 months. Developed more than seventy years ago by a world-famous physician to counteract hypertension, heart and kidney disease, and diabetes, the RicevDiet turned out to have a remarkable fringe benefit: rapid weight loss. By creating this low-sodium, low-cholesterol, high-fiber, high-carbohydrate regimen, Dr. Walter Kempner actually anticipated the nutritional discoveries
of today. In fact John McDougall, MD says on his website, “Kempner, medical doctor and research scientist, is the father of modern-day diet therapy.” In these pages, Judy reveals everything you need to know to follow this program in your own home:
~ The six phases of the rice Diet and which one to choose for the quickest
~ possible weight loss;
~ A step-by-step guide, including which foods to eat and which ones to avoid;
~ How long to stay with each phase and how to maintain your ideal weight
~ once it is reached;
~ How to develop the mind-set to stay on the program and how to handle binges;
~ How to incorporate the diet into your daily life - dining out, entertaining,
~ and coping with the needs of other family members.
Fad diets come and go because they work only for a little while.The Rice
Diet Report offers you a time-proven method. Using nature’s most perfect foods,
it works fast - and for a lifetime.
Judy Moscovitz is a psychotherapist who lives in Victoria, BC.
Judy is the author of 3 books with possibly more
to come.
THE RICE DIET REPORT
A DIET THAT WORKS
THE DIETER’S COMPANION

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back