Diet Soda

I don't get why people have to have flavouring in every drink, it's weird. I drink a coffee in the morning and then it's water all the way.

Same here. I might also have an iced coffee later in the afternoon/early evening but other than that it's water all day.

Ya, most of them don't know shit. My wife took one of our daughters to a nutritionist and much of the snacks that they recommended included sugar. She also provided a smoothie recipe with a protein powder loaded with Stevia. Her argument was that Stevia is better than artificial NAS because it is "natural". Same problem, it's sweet and insulin is released.

Is any amount of sugar bad or just excess? Like for example if a person was not consuming an excess of calories in their overall daily diet and they added a little sugar. I put a couple teaspoons of what's labeled as "unrefined coconut sugar" in my coffee each morning. I can drink unsweetened coffee but prefer sweetened. I have cut back on eating sweets and have drank over a gallon of water a day for years. I feel like coffee, especially sweetened, is one of the few things I really enjoy in life and I don't want to feel like I have to deprive myself completely just to be healthy.

Is any amount of sugar bad or just excess? Like for example if a person was not consuming an excess of calories in their overall daily diet and they added a little sugar. I put a couple teaspoons of what's labeled as "unrefined coconut sugar" in my coffee each morning. I can drink unsweetened coffee but prefer sweetened. I have cut back on eating sweets and have drank over a gallon of water a day for years. I feel like coffee, especially sweetened, is one of the few things I really enjoy in life and I don't want to feel like I have to deprive myself completely just to be healthy.

Of course sugar is fine. the problem is that it is so easy to consume massive amounts of sugar, and most people do. I wouldn't worry about your 2 teaspoons of sugar in coffee. the problem is people guzzling 3 or 4 cans of soda, each with 8 (or even 12) tsp of sugar, then eating other sweets with sugar, then eating a lot of bread, rice, pasta ... The total sum of sugar is then enormous.

Modern man is 200,000 yrs old and we just weren't designed to consume massive amounts of sugar. Keep in mind we've only been processing grains for 5,000 yrs and refined sugar has only been available for 180yrs.

I usually just save the diet soda for when i eat out somewhere. Like many other things, aspartame is not the healthiest but in moderation is ok. esp to calm that fizzy carbonated drink craving i get once in awhile

I only drink soda when im esting something heavy like at a buffet imfeel the carbonation helps me burp so i dont get indigestion after esting a ton of food, now i just do portion control and drink warm lemon or like water with my meals, its always good not to overeat.

Of course sugar is fine. the problem is that it is so easy to consume massive amounts of sugar, and most people do. I wouldn't worry about your 2 teaspoons of sugar in coffee. the problem is people guzzling 3 or 4 cans of soda, each with 8 (or even 12) tsp of sugar, then eating other sweets with sugar, then eating a lot of bread, rice, pasta ... The total sum of sugar is then enormous.

Modern man is 200,000 yrs old and we just weren't designed to consume massive amounts of sugar. Keep in mind we've only been processing grains for 5,000 yrs and refined sugar has only been available for 180yrs.

Thanks. I've been researching nutrition for years and have came across alot of conflicting information as well as conflicting studies. Many are stressing the importance of protein from grassfed cows, eggs from pastured hens, as well as fats from butter, ghee, coconut oil, etc. Whereas others such as Dr. John McDougall have had success in putting patients on high starch plant based diets.

I personally don't believe there is a one size fits all when it comes to diet and nutrition. Some seem to do well on one type of diet plan whereas others thrive on a completely different plan.

How do you feel about the whole meat eater vs. vegan deal? One better than the other or does it depends on each individual person?

Do NOT drink any sodas, drink water and if you need some flavor use Mio water enhancers.

DO NOT DRINK ANY SODA, water only man. cut the soda out and remember anything is fine in moderation.

There is nothing wrong with having 2-3 sodas a week or even on the weekend but remember that water should always be your go to.

Do NOT drink any sodas, drink water and if you need some flavor use Mio water enhancers.

DO NOT DRINK ANY SODA, water only man. cut the soda out and remember anything is fine in moderation.

There is nothing wrong with having 2-3 sodas a week or even on the weekend but remember that water should always be your go to.

Agree with this^^^. Add ice cream, cookies, candy, ... Sugar is the killer.

Thanks. I've been researching nutrition for years and have came across alot of conflicting information as well as conflicting studies. Many are stressing the importance of protein from grassfed cows, eggs from pastured hens, as well as fats from butter, ghee, coconut oil, etc. Whereas others such as Dr. John McDougall have had success in putting patients on high starch plant based diets.

I personally don't believe there is a one size fits all when it comes to diet and nutrition. Some seem to do well on one type of diet plan whereas others thrive on a completely different plan.

How do you feel about the whole meat eater vs. vegan deal? One better than the other or does it depends on each individual person?

I was a vegetarian for a couple of years when i was still competing. I'm not sure it did anything for me and it took a lot of effort. OTOH - it made me think a lot about eating and more disciplined.

I agree, different things work for different people. Going vegan may be great for some and useless for others. Reducing sugar/carbs is a good for most I would say.

A recent BJM study showed that the hype over what type of oil/fat you ingest is not as important as is being promoted by the sports nutrition crowd --- specifically the hype around coconut oil.

Last edited:
Try Spindrift brand sparkling water when you want something that has some carbonation and flavor. They are like 10 calories each, and are flavored with a small amount of real fruit juice and no added sugar or artificial sweeteners. Company is from MA. But yeah, for sure stop drinking the diet sodas, lots of bad shit in those.

upload_2017-8-30_17-33-7.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been addicted to sugar most of my life. I quit drinking monsters/sugar drinks and took off 70 pounds. Now I'm hearing diet soda is bad for you. Should I just start drinking water and cut back on the diet soda?
Diet soda is great. No known or proven side effects of artificial sweeteners. If they help keep you in a caloric deficit or keep away sweet cravings go for it.

ok guys well I'm mostly drinking black coffee and water the past week. Thanks for your help.

why are the only options coffe and water in this thread???
Personally i much prefer tea over coffe...
I probably drink more water than most people, but fruit juice can't be that bad, I'm talking about actual fruit juiced str8t out my back yard in moderation(2 cups a day. Sounds like hyperbole.
I don't get why people have to have flavouring in every drink, it's weird. I drink a coffee in the morning and then it's water all the way.
That's no different than saying why should anyone care if their food tastes good... You sound like a robot.
Some of the condescending comments in this thread makes it sound like they wanna future where digestion/tasting is a thing of the past, and all forms of nutrition is injected.

Stay away from diet soda man.

-Makes you retain fat in the face.
-***Phosphorous in it pulls calcium from your bones.**** I believe this played a factor in my recent bruised rib.

I will miss my Diet Coke, but water is cheaper and more satisfying. Get a Brita tap filter.

Back