diet and training of an aspiring judoka

then "the black belt" i caught him in an omoplata and he yelled stop,when we restarted he said that he could have escaped but it would have meant rolling in to the people beside us.
i pulled half guard escaped to his back,he turtled and caught him in a rolling bow and arrow/okuri eri jime to which he tapped then told me it was a useless technigue for tournament judo and that i focus on strangles too much when i should be going for armbars because otherwise the ref will stand me up before they tap :s (rolling bow and arrow is undoubtedly my favourite newaza technigue) then i tapped him with an arm bar from guard.

We've had a black belt coming in on mondays lately who is in his late thirties and used to train at another club,he's been a bit of an arse hole (smashing lighter guys and lower grades,hammering people with direct leg attacks despite being told theyre illegal now,whether it was accidental or not he head butted one of the guys and chipped his tooth during randori,and he was undermining the temporary coach we had while our main coach was in europe criticising his instruction etc, and to me personally when i caught him in randori with a triangle he said "thats not judo and would never work in tournament"
anyway while at the gym today my coach said that he wanted to teach the guy a lesson tonight so we were going to have a hard training to see if he could keep up,and that if i was paired with him not to hold back.

Sounds like a couple of sore losers there. I guess ego-maniacs are rife in all Martial Arts / sports.

its the same guy,and yea he definately has a bit of an ego i think alot of it stems from A) being a former good competitor who has got a bit older but wants to prove hes "still got it" and b) he brings his teenage kid in to every session and i think alot of it comes from him trying to look tough in front of his kid which i can sort of understand but it doesnt mean you have to be a dick.

its a shame because our club has always had a really awesome atmosphere and team spirit without any bull shit i think the guy may be better next week (only goes once a week)

just got up weights good.can not wait to weigh in,eat some food and kick some ass

power clean 5x3 75kg
squat 3x5 120kg
ohp 3x5 50kg (missed last rep of last set)
pendlay rows 3x5 80kg

have only listed work sets.

tournament at the weekend went really well gold in my weight,gold in restricted open,bronze in senior open 11 fights 10 wins,1 loss all matches finishing with ippon in the senior open i got slack with my grip in one exchange and fighting a very good/experienced oponent he capatalised and threw me i was well ahead til then too so a little frustrating even more frustrating was the fact that he went out and won the final in 20 seconds.

power clean 5x3 80kg
front squat 3x5 70kg
deadlift 3x5 120kg
bench 3x5 90kg

judo last night

moving uchikomi-osoto,ouchi,seoi,sode,harai,uchimata 5x1min

drilled a variation of sasae for 10min in which you take an under hook on the lapel side,then drilled combination sasae-ura nage

drilled setting up ouchi,sasae,sode off grip breaks.5min

nagakome 5min sasae,5 min sode,5min ouchi

5x3min rounds newaza randori

10x3min rounds tachiwaza randori

was on fire tonight best i've trained in a long time gave my coach some trouble in randori,the whole night my throws felt clean and smooth 2 tournaments in the next month grade tournament next week in which i should be fighting for brown belt/1st kyu and then area champs 3 weeks after that.

Last edited:
so a long time since updating.

have competed in 3 tournaments that carry national ranking points,and placed in all 3 (a gold,a silver,and a bronze) have only lost to current or former national reps in the 3 tournaments so happy with that but those are the guys i need to start beating.
also entered a grading shiai beat all the other blue belts/2nd kyu and all but one (he was 110kg and been training for over a decade) brown belts and was awarded a brown belt.
have a tournament this week.
my coach has started running an area training on friday nights open to all clubs blue belt+ in our area as a way of enhancing the chances of local judoka placing at nationals.

coach has asked me to stop using drop seoi in randori and to focus on tai otoshi,uchimata,and ouchi gari hopefully i should see some good progress in these throws over the next few months.

squat 1x5 60kg 1x5 100kg 3x5 120kg
bench 1x5 60kg 3x5 80kg
row 3x5 80kg(form was average)

forgot to mention i injured my shoulder at the grade tournament and as such havent been lifting for close to a month.

deadlift 1 x80kg 1x100kg 3x120kg
ohp 1 x 30kg 1x40kg 3x50kg
chins 10,8,8

Back