Did You Know Pride Used An 8 Sided Ring For 3 Events?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
90IDmXc.png

Prior to Bushido, Pride had a separate format that used an 8 sided ring and it mainly featured lower level fighters. They started it in 2002, and ended it in 2002, deciding that the Bushido format was better. It was called Pride The Best Vol 1, 2, and 3.

Rounds were 2 x 5 minutes

Mods, these have been on youtube for several years. I guess the UFC doesn't really care, as they weren't really popular and the ended discontinuing the series. They were kind of quazi pride events

Takase and Joe Son both fought on this card

Overeem fought on Vol 2
images

Random pictures
hqdefault.jpg

What if modern MMA used something similar? You get the dimensions of a cage, but you can only use wall tactics in the corners. The cage fence makes it hard to see if you are in the arena. They also had the platform beyond the ropes so you couldn't fall out of the ring due to takedown or KO.

When I think "Cage fighter" the first thing that pops up in my head is a dude with a tapout shirt. Thank god that trend mainly disappeared. Still we have a stupid relic left over from the old school days. I am okay with having a relatively round ring, but the cage is just cringey.

#pridewasbetter

Last edited:
For 3 round fights they should have a 3 sided ring and for 5 rd. fights it should be a 5 sided one

While I like the aesthetic of a ring, a cage is by far the superior combat sport testing ground.

My problem with a ring for MMA, is the stopping and restarting.

While I like the aesthetic of a ring, a cage is by far the superior combat sport testing ground.

What about an 8 sided ring? I think the cage is advantageous to wrestlers who can just wall and stall to a takedown. It also lets fighters shoot lazy takedowns just to get cage position. I think that is tactical, but if it were limited to the corners then in would not be spammed as much.

Ring? Fuck no, as much as I love Pride it was bar none the most frustrating element. Having to have people hold and pull on the ropes was a joke. Not to mention the how often they had to smack hands and restart, far worse than any cage.

What is "pride"? And why are they stealing the UFCs ideas? It doesn't look anything like the real octogan anyway

90IDmXc.png

Prior to Bushido, Pride had a separate format that used an 8 sided ring and it mainly featured lower level fighters. They started it in 2002, and ended it in 2002, deciding that the Bushido format was better. It was called Pride The Best Vol 1, 2, and 3.

Mods, these have been on youtube for several years. I guess the UFC doesn't really care, as they weren't really popular and the ended discontinuing the series. They were kind of quazi pride events

Takase and Joe Son both fought on this card

Overeem fought on Vol 2
images

Random pictures
hqdefault.jpg

What if modern MMA used something similar? You get the dimensions of a cage, but you can only use wall tactics in the corners. The cage fence makes it hard to see if you are in the arena. They also had the platform beyond the ropes so you couldn't fall out of the ring due to takedown or KO.

When I think "Cage fighter" the first thing that pops up in my head is a dude with a tapout shirt. Thank god that trend mainly disappeared. Still we have a stupid relic left over from the old school days. I am okay with having a relatively round ring, but the cage is just cringey.

#pridewasbetter

pele vs chuck 2.png pele vs chuck 3.png

Ring? Fuck no, as much as I love Pride it was bar none the most frustrating element. Having to have people hold and pull on the ropes was a joke. Not to mention the how often they had to smack hands and restart, far worse than any cage.

The Khabib vs Thibau [sad] Affair:

3 Rounds, 15 mns...4mn48 of pure Wall&Stall...
7 Wall&Stall situations, but only 2 Yamazaki´s interferences...

use.gif

I could care less about a ring or cage they need to bring back stomps soccer kicks and knees to downed opponents sick of this stalling shit

I did watch most pride events, inclusive bushido, but didnt know that.
Thanks TS.
Pride never die!

Back