Did UFC 229 finally help the UFC owners make some money ?

Dessyboy

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Since they bought the UFC, really the new owners have had a bad run. They must have been thinking why they threw their money away

But UFC 229 surely must have turned things around for them ?

I'd like to meet this William Morris.

Since they bought the UFC, really the new owners have had a bad run. They must have been thinking why they threw their money away

But UFC 229 surely must have turned things around for them ?

Someone hasn't been paying attention lol

UFC Purchased for:
$4,000,000,000

UFC 229 ppv sales
$160 mil or so? Maybe 20% of that made it to the owners after everything was paid out?

It'll probably be decades before they make their money back on the purchase.

UFC Purchased for:
$4,000,000,000

UFC 229 ppv sales
$160 mil or so? Maybe 20% of that made it to the owners after everything was paid out?

It'll probably be decades before they make their money back on the purchase.

You have zero idea how business works lol

TBH, you are probably right. Can you explain the flaws in what I've said?

very fair reply, so i will man.

1. You are leaving out that UFC itself is worth money. When you buy a house, you don't make money every year, but the value should go up (unless it is run to the ground)

2. UFC makes far more money under WME era than under Fertitta's. Largely due to WME being better at contractual deals.

3. UFC is now worth $6-7b (shares recently sold at $7b, but that was a high end) since the ESPN deals.

4. Without a single PPV sold, UFC makes over $200m a year profit. Fertitta best year was about $152m

1. You are leaving out that UFC itself is worth money. When you buy a house, you don't make money every year, but the value should go up (unless it is run to the ground)

2. UFC makes far more money under WME era than under Fertitta's. Largely due to WME being better at contractual deals.

3. UFC is now worth $6-7b (shares recently sold at $7b, but that was a high end) since the ESPN deals.

4. Without a single PPV sold, UFC makes over $200m a year profit. Fertitta best year was about $152m

#2 and #4 doesn't matter that much if the profit doesn't lead to making up for the huge capital investment in a practical timeline, right?

Points #1 and #3 are related, in that, they are about the potential to sell the business for a profit in the future, which is the part I was missing. As long as value doesn't wane under WME, they always have the potential to sell for a profit in the future, which is good. Those are the more convincing ideas to me.

#2 and #4 doesn't matter that much if the profit doesn't lead to making up for the huge capital investment in a practical timeline, right?

Points #1 and #3 are related, in that, they are about the potential to sell the business for a profit in the future, which is the part I was missing. As long as value doesn't wane under WME, they always have the potential to sell for a profit in the future, which is good. Those are the more convincing ideas to me.

2 & 4 matter a lot
That is what makes the investors money every year as well as the company value going up

@DeeDubb
As an FYI, WWE is a public company & worth about $6b
they have never had a $100m profit year
UFC is over $200m profit without a PPV & in 2019 should be over $300m profit

There are a lot of variables to business.
Also the 4 primary companies that own UFC go up in value by having UFC in their portfolio as well

Last edited:
Yeah ufc isnt wholly dpenedant on ppvs guys. remember they do free events and ticket sales and other stuff too.

I would like to add that WME is also better at trimming fat. After WME took over and did an overview of the previous regimes business practices they then preceded to cut their overhead by a ton. It sucks for all the people who got fired but it made for a more efficiently run business.

I might not like a lot of their MMA related decisions but their business decisions have so far been solid for their bottom line. I am hoping when the Reebok deal runs out they return to letting fighters have sponsors. I think people forget that was in place before WME bought the UFC so there is a chance they reverse that decision.

I am hoping when the Reebok deal runs out they return to letting fighters have sponsors. I think people forget that was in place before WME bought the UFC so there is a chance they reverse that decision.

I don't see the toothpaste going back in the tube man.
I do see a better deal financially though
Hopefully that goes to the fighters

Listen to @FrankieNYC
Guy knows his stuff lads. (BTW podcast video soon, editor is on it)

But yeah, you forgot about the ESPN deal, the growing publicity, the fact that UFC 229 did 2.4 Mill buys when the second biggest PPV did 1.65, some other PPV's did better than expected (TJ vs Cody 2) although some did worse than expected (Till vs Woodley).

The ESPN deal was the best thing to happen to modern day MMA besides Conor McGregor

Listen to @FrankieNYC
Guy knows his stuff lads. (BTW podcast video soon, editor is on it)

But yeah, you forgot about the ESPN deal, the growing publicity, the fact that UFC 229 did 2.4 Mill buys when the second biggest PPV did 1.65, some other PPV's did better than expected (TJ vs Cody 2) although some did worse than expected (Till vs Woodley).

The ESPN deal was the best thing to happen to modern day MMA besides Conor McGregor

Thanks buddy
But the Conor/Diaz 2 did 1.5m in the end
but it will take a long time & a lot of correcting to make that known

PS ...
Looking forward to you releasing the interview I did with you. Hope you got what you wanted. We could have done 3 hours lol

Thanks buddy
But the Conor/Diaz 2 did 1.5m in the end
but it will take a long time & a lot of correcting to make that known

PS ...
Looking forward to you releasing the interview I did with you. Hope you got what you wanted. We could have done 3 hours lol

Let's do more episodes - The first one was great. Really good content, looking forward to having you on the show again

Let's do more episodes - The first one was great. Really good content, looking forward to having you on the show again

COOL
if something happens that needs explaining as far as the business/numbers end, lets do it

Yeah ufc isnt wholly dpenedant on ppvs guys. remember they do free events and ticket sales and other stuff too.

PPV matters only for them in the sense that they have solid numbers for their ADVERTISING PARTNERS.

Back