Did the Bellator 135lb weight class just die last night?

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Caldwell went up a weight class, Dantas shattered his foot, Mayday looked close to retiring due to another hand injury, Joe Warren is over the hill, Baby Joe has had multiple weight misses.

The stage might be set for that phoney Gallagher to actually win a belt. If they weren't trying to hype him up I would think they could use this as a time to close the weight class.

Last edited:
Def not in good shape, its Bellators weakest mens div for sure. And Gallagher has a tough fight coming up, I think he'll win but he's fighting a good prospect.

But yeah the stage is atleast set for him to get a title shot. Caldwell/Gallagher in Ireland would make sense.

But imagine Caldwell loses at FW and Gallagher gets upset?

Def not in good shape, its Bellators weakest mens div for sure. And Gallagher has a tough fight coming up, I think he'll win but he's fighting a good prospect.

But yeah the stage is atleast set for him to get a title shot. Caldwell/Gallagher in Ireland would make sense.

But imagine Caldwell loses at FW and Gallagher gets upset?

Caldwell losing would at least send him back to 135. If Mayday is done and Caldwell doesn't go back down a weightclass, 2019 bellator 135lb will be even worse than 2016 Bellator 185lb

Caldwell losing would at least send him back to 135. If Mayday is done and Caldwell doesn't go back down a weightclass, 2019 bellator 135lb will be even worse than 2016 Bellator 185lb

Dont think he's staying there only taking a stay busy fight there while the div I guess sorts itself. I'd rather he stay at FW cause Pitbull could a fight like that before prospects Pico and AJ are ready and other than Sanchez there isnt much for Pitbull at FW.

But I think Caldwell will go and defend his belt after this fight but if he loses at FW he's still BW champ but it def doesnt look good for him.

Do Caldwell vs Pitbull.

Either one moves up or down or they meet at 140. Thats the fight to make. Pitbull could fight Chandler at LW but he's small and hes better off in that BW/FW range and the Caldwell fight would be fun.

Given the state of BW div if Caldwell beats Lahat they might just give him a FW title shot and do the champ vs champ fight. WIth Mayday hurt and Gallagher still being built up it be the best time to do it.

Dont think he's staying there only taking a stay busy fight there while the div I guess sorts itself. I'd rather he stay at FW cause Pitbull could a fight like that before prospects Pico and AJ are ready and other than Sanchez there isnt much for Pitbull at FW.

But I think Caldwell will go and defend his belt after this fight but if he loses at FW he's still BW champ but it def doesnt look good for him.

Agreed on all but i'm less confident on him returning to 135 to defend the belt. The guy is pretty huge at 135, and collect and advance seems to be the sports new business strategy. I hope he returns and I hope McDonald is wrong about his hand.

Don’t think they’ll scrape it. If Caldwell moves to 145 permanently, which I think he will, the division will become a vehicle for Gallagher. It’s a low featured division as it is so they’ll bring in guys as they need them like they do for WMMA divisions. I don’t see them ever building significant depth there but they might bring in a few new guys in light of Mayday and Dantas double elimination.

Yes not looking good for that division, Juan Archuleta seems to be set at FW. Dominic Mozzatta is a good BW but yes not much going on.

Caldwell went up a weight class, Dantas shattered his foot, Mayday looked close to retiring due to another hand injury, Joe Warren is over the hill, Baby Joe has had multiple weight misses.

The stage might be set for that phoney Gallagher to actually win a belt. If they weren't trying to hype him up I would think they could use this as a time to close the weight class.
There is no such thing as closing a weight class in modern MMA, nor should there be. Caldwell hasn't said that he was moving up to featherweight permanently anyway to my knowledge. New talent will always come along or get signed.

There is no such thing as closing a weight class in modern MMA, nor should there be. Caldwell hasn't said that he was moving up to featherweight permanently anyway to my knowledge. New talent will always come along or get signed.
Bellator barely does that for BW though.

The only new addition they've made in a while is Higo, and now Bandejas. That is if they didn't just bring Ricky over to be fed to Gallagher.

Back