Did Rogan really call Francis Ngannou a one in a million athlete?

The fight was about control. If stipe punches himself out to the point of exhaustion also then he cant get the td next round he leaves himself susceptible to anything.

It was a masterful performance and a showcase of high fight IQ
Stipe did pretty much punch himself out. He was moving in slow motion after the second. Francis was probably the most gassed we have ever seen in the UFC, so maybe you didn't notice just how gassed Stipe was? It was hardly a master performance

Interesting that Stipe was not given a performance bonus??????? I mean with Rogan hyping this one in a million guy and Stipe being an underdog and all. DC finishes his one in a thousand guy and gets a bonus. I guess Dana has shown his contempt in not getting his new ultra commercial, exciting champion that he creams in his jeans over. Man, Dana must be pissed off.
If you are so gassed after 2 rounds you are going half speed. You don't deserve a performance bonus

Yet, Stipe still couldn't finish him after Ngannou was nearly dead from exhaustion. Whats that say about him ?

It says he's safety first to the point of being boring.

Great fighter but too risk adverse

Ya know he looked totally gassed, but I was really impressed he could defend the takedown in the 5th, and his power was still there. I'd say 1 in a few thousand at the very least.

If you are so gassed after 2 rounds you are going half speed. You don't deserve a performance bonus
i read everyone’s pbp, and later watched the fight.
I guess im crazy, but I thought it was a frantic first round, followed by a ton of clinching, which is about the hardest drain on two fighters that can happen.

I can spar for an hour if the pace is nice. Start clinching someone strong and really throw bombs, and it is a very different story. Not to mention the heartrate raising just because of the consequence of failure against big chuckers like those two.

Please note that Brock Lesnar was referred to as a freak of nature by Ufc standards and yet was a below average athlete in the Nfl.

This isn't even closer to true. Brock was an amazing athlete, even by NFL standards. He just didn't have the skill or experience to make the NFL.

Ya know he looked totally gassed, but I was really impressed he could defend the takedown in the 5th, and his power was still there. I'd say 1 in a few thousand at the very least.
When you're 260+lbs you will always have power.
Ngannou is a decent fighter but he is nothing special

i read everyone’s pbp, and later watched the fight.
I guess im crazy, but I thought it was a frantic first round, followed by a ton of clinching, which is about the hardest drain on two fighters that can happen.

I can spar for an hour if the pace is nice. Start clinching someone strong and really throw bombs, and it is a very different story. Not to mention the heartrate raising just because of the consequence of failure against big chuckers like those two.
If you are the fucking Champ and you are completely gassed after 2 rounds, you don't deserve a performance bonus. No matter how much clinching there is. He is UFC HW champ and should be held to a higher standard

He could defend the TD because Stipe was almost as gassed as he was

When you're 260+lbs you will always have power.
Ngannou is a decent fighter but he is nothing special

Idk we've seen many a fighter, lets say specifically heavyweight, lose their KO power late in the fight, and he looked like, as gassed as humanly possible before death. He did some things in the 5th where I thought he's definitely not average (at least not as gassed as the gaping mouth breathing led me to believe). Maybe it's not an athletic thing and more an intangible. The way the previous rounds were going I didn't expect that much resistance in the end.

Joke, right?
Don't confuse the ability to punch people into other worlds with athleticism. They might be related but not strictly. Tank Abbott was a killer and was a decent athlete at best.

Please note that Brock Lesnar was referred to as a freak of nature by Ufc standards and yet was a below average athlete in the Nfl.

NBAers, NFLers, olympic caliber track and field athletes, wrestlers and judokas are on average more gifted that Ngannou. And who knows how many others among top sportsmen.
Its hard to compare. Those are all athletes suited to specific movements. Even if you just look at the NFL, there are a different set of required attributes whether you are a wide receiver, a DL or a running back.
Olympic athletes are very good in some countries. Ie. if a good American wrestler moved to a non-wrestling country and became a citizen, he/she would be olympic. I dont think there is a ton of depth in judo, worldwide.

You have to look at what Ngannou is, and compare him to rugby forwards, linebackers, heavyweight wrestlers and boxers, and then remember he hasnt had time to perfect his craft in MMA.

I dont know how good he is as an athlete yet, I dont have his standing broadjump, his 400m time, his clean and jerk, etc., but I stand by the fact that one in a million isnt a huge exaggeration for Rogan -a guy who called Ronda a once ever human. Its actually very reserved for Joe.

If you are the fucking Champ and you are completely gassed after 2 rounds, you don't deserve a performance bonus. No matter how much clinching there is. He is UFC HW champ and should be held to a higher standard
There is a reason these guys all get tired in these types of fights, and it isnt because they are all, to a man, lazy. Velasquez might have looked fresher fighting thats style, but thats it. Someone like Werdum wouldnt gas, but he wouldnt work Ngannou against the fence or be hitting singles and doubles, either.

I saw no athleticism last night, zero. It looked like a bodybuilding contest starting round 2 and by 4th round when Francis' hands dropped it was more like a stroll on muscle beach.

Props to Stipe
If Ngannou was American, or if his parents had brought him to America at an early enough age, he'd probably be a star defensive lineman. The dude is HUGE and brutally strong. But there are different forms of athleticism. Combat sports are anaerobic like American football, but without taking a 40-second break after 5-10 seconds of action.

Ngannou was always able to power through anyway because of his elite athleticism, but when he met someone who could weather the storm, he was screwed. You still have to say he's an elite athlete, though. A lesser athlete would have been exposed much earlier.

Idk we've seen many a fighter, lets say specifically heavyweight, lose their KO power late in the fight, and he looked like, as gassed as humanly possible before death. He did some things in the 5th where I thought he's definitely not average (at least not as gassed as the gaping mouth breathing led me to believe). Maybe it's not an athletic thing and more an intangible. The way the previous rounds were going I didn't expect that much resistance in the end.
Yeah, he got heart, compare that with super athlete Brock Lesnar. He reminds me a little of JDS, JDS was getting killed by stipe in their first fight and was still able to land a bomb and win.

One in a million athlete gasses out after round 1 LOL

People just simply puts too much emphasis and credit on muscle mass and power as equivalent to athleticism.

Back