Did Poirier just earn a Title shot?!?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Arm Barbarian, Apr 14, 2018.

?

Is Poirier the next LW contender?

1. Yes

36.8%
  2. No

27.2%
  3. El Cucuy

19.3%
  4. Kevin Lee

2.2%
  5. Gregor Gillespie

0.8%
  6. Eddie Alvarez

5.3%
  7. Conor McGregor

8.5%
  1. Codpiece

Codpiece I was penetrated by a 9’ Johnson

I think because Tony is out for a long while. I have heard 9 months but would love confirmation. I doubt the UFC would wait that long to book Khabib, especially for the fifth try at Ferg/Khabib.

fortheo likes this.
  2. bob

bob Ricky Gervais belt

ufc will match them... they would love to wear out kahbib as much as possible b4 Conrad fights him.

3. CerebralKnievel

CerebralKnievel Silver Belt

Interesting. I seem to recall Eddie coming back and dropping him prior to the knee.

4. robbie

robbie Brown Belt

I didn't vote for Poirier in the poll above although I believe he is worthy of a title fight given his overall body of work at 145 and 155 in the UFC. Dustin is also one of my favorite fighters because of his exciting style of fighting. There are no boring Poirier fights.

I actually voted for Conor which is complicated by his bus antics. I voted for Conor because he is highly ranked and he is healthy. Ferguson has many months of rehab ahead. Dustin needs time for his legs to heal after the Gaethje fight. I think a fight with Conor and Khabib would be a big $$$ fight and the UFC could hold part of Conor's purse as a settlement to the fighters who suffered financial damages at UFC 223. This would get those fighters $$$ much quicker than a lawsuit via the court system vs. individuals who live in a foreign land (Ireland). The downside is that Conor needs to be punished for his actions and giving him next up vs. Khabib with the big paycheck isn't exactly punishment. I do think Khabib will eventually get his hands on Conor and punish him in the cage if they do fight.

Conor has never seemed inclined to defend a belt and I suspect that he might continue to delay fighting Khabib due to the large paycheck he got fighting Mayweather. He can let the top LW's beat each other up for a couple of years and then come back for a title shot at whoever wears the belt. The UFC will gladly let Conor jump the line like they have before. He got choked out by 10 day Nate, no problem. Instant rematch. As Nate said, the UFC never gave me a rematch when I lost. Beat gate-keeper Nate and now 1 - 1 vs. a bottom top 10 LW fighter got him a title shot before many deserving 155 fighters who had compiled excellent LW records against multiple top contenders. In Conor's defense, he did wreck Alvarez who is a legit top 5 LW, but its not like Alvarez was special. He won the belt because RDA could no longer make 155 and almost died during the weight cut prior to his fight with Alvarez. The UFC knew that Alvarez wouldn't hold the belt long, so why don't we give Conor a shot. Not much unlike Bisping at 185. They gave him a 46-year old Hendo rematch and then GSP. Bisping and Conor bring the European fans where the UFC really wants to grow the sport. At least GSP defended his WW title many times and got out of the way quickly at 185 so the other fighters can maximize their opportunities in the sport.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
    BlueBullet likes this.
  5. robbie

robbie Brown Belt

I don't think Tony will be ready by the fall. He needs to fully rehab and then have a 2 month fight camp to get ready for a title fight. Better to get truly healthy and then fight Khabib. An 80% Ferguson is a bad idea against a 100% Khabib. Keep your powder dry and fight when the time is right because you probably won't get a rematch if you lose and then other fighters might jump over you in the rankings.

6. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

No way does he fight in the same year he tore his LCL and had surgery on it. Khabib wants to defend in the fall, I bet we don't see Ferguson till mid 2019 earliest.

Codpiece likes this.
  7. Codpiece

That’s terrible news, are you certain on that date?

8. Kleinschuster

Kleinschuster Enjoying fights

If he is out so long, then give the next shot to the No. 3 Eddie.

9. fortheo

fortheo Gold Belt

No, not at all. I'm just guessing.

But after reading this thread

http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/just-some-firsthand-experience-with-tonys-surgery-shared.3748255/

And seeing a post like this:

And

I don't feel we'll see tony again for a solid year, but I'm not Tony's doctor. Just a feeling.

Codpiece likes this.
  10. Codpiece

11. Gabe

Gabe Saturdays are for the Boys

Khabib won't be back until September. Why the vitriol?

12. Codpiece

There are a couple of problems with Eddie getting the shot. And I like Eddie, this is not a knock on him.

1. He is on a one fight win streak. The fight before that was a NC against Poirier, but probably should have been a DQ. Alvarez was coming back before the stoppage but for most of the fight Poirier was kicking his butt.

Dustin is on a three fight streak.

2. Eddie already had the title and lost it in humiliating fashion. Conor destroyed him in an event with large viewership and that may impede his chances for getting another shot without stringing together two or three really impressive wins.

3. Poirier is likely viewed as less of a threat to Khabib. If the UFC is thinking forward to either Conor or Tony vs Khabib as an event it makes sense to give Khabib the chance to stay on top. If the UFC really wants a event in Russia then Khabib would need to headline.

Just my thoughts, feel free to disagree.

13. Codpiece

Yeah, don’t think Tony’s back by September man. @fortheo kindly linked a few posts which suggest quite a bit longer, sadly.

14. Herwald

Herwald Purple Belt

Dustin fights the winner of Lee/Barboza on the same card as Eddie fights Khabib.

Tony's out, Conor's mud-wrestling with Floyd.

Codpiece likes this.
  15. Codpiece

Can’t see Poirier fighting Khabib with Eddie taking on the winner of Lee/Barboza? I can.

Herwald likes this.
  16. Death By Samson

Death By Samson Silver Belt

Voted yes because I think that Ferg will not be healthy in time.

17. Kleinschuster

Kleinschuster Enjoying fights

I am along with you. Easier to def vs. Poirier. It would be great if anyone fought Khabib, that wasn't beaten by McG at FW though. Problem: Noone else is there as Khabib has beaten Barboza as well..

Codpiece likes this.
  18. paynebringer

paynebringer Black Beast Silverback Ice Cold Steel Belt...♠♠♠

Conor's been out waaaaay too long to jump back in the cage and fight the new bear champ, better he he oil his wheels on the likes of a Dustin, Lee, or Alvarez, to get his timing back.

19. Shcooby Dooby Doo

Shcooby Dooby Doo Blue Belt

I voted Poirier for next title shot.

I also envision five rounds of Khabib grabbing Diamonds ankle, Dustin trying to pull away unsuccessfully, Khabib tripping Dustin, pinning his legs and then smesh time.
    5 rounds of that and then Khabib bragging about how he can fight someone in 5 minutes.

I don't even like Khabib that much. It's just true.

20. Shcooby Dooby Doo

Shcooby Dooby Doo Blue Belt

He'll more likely fight Floyd Mayweather.

paynebringer likes this.