Did Hiro submit Elliot?

Discussion in 'The Ultimate Fighter (TUF) Discussion' started by Sakuraba7, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Sakuraba7 Blue Belt

Sakuraba7
    I'm not sure if im the only one seeing this, but in the last four seconds of the match when Hiro gets Tim to the ground in a guillotine. Judging by the way his left hand just slowly dropped, he seems to have been rendered unconscious.

But then the horn blew, and they pulled Hiro up. They never showed the immediate aftermath footage of Tim however, he may have looked dazed and confused trying to stand back up. It seems awfully specific to cut that aftermath out, you would assume they'd love to show the face of relief (or disappointment) on Tim's face.

In boxing they say "You cannot be saved by the bell" , meaning if you're about to get knocked-out or in a count, there's no stoppage until its finished. If the round was 3 seconds longer, I wonder what the result would have been.

2. WalkenWouldOwn Steel Belt

WalkenWouldOwn
  3. Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

Lucifer Alpha
  4. neomage2021 Silver Belt

neomage2021
    It completely depends on the set of rules and commission if you can or cannot be saved by the bell in boxing.

5. Balboa Brown Belt

Balboa
    I agree that I thought it was weird. Why did his arm go limp and why didn't they show the aftermath?

But I am assuming he was fine.

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  6. Sakuraba7 Blue Belt

Sakuraba7
    And we need that in MMA, possibly extending the round by 5-10 seconds upon ringside (timekeeper) discretion if an active fighter gets a receiving fighter in a fresh submission attempt where it could possibly end the fight.

7. Danespina Red Belt

Danespina
    Here's the point of discussion.

[​IMG]

8. TheNinja Silver Belt

TheNinja
    I don't think it would work. What if he wanted to extend it by 11 seconds? We already have enough human error with judging and refs I don't want a timekeeper involved now too. IMO when the horn sounds the round ends regardless.

In boxing I understand the idea that if you are on the ground and in a count you can't be saved by the bell. But no round extensions. It gets too confusing and messy and there will be screw ups.

But to the OPs point. He must not have been out cold but maybe dazed?

9. Sakuraba7 Blue Belt

Sakuraba7

This is it. The right hand is upright, held up by Hiro's choke; but the left hand goes totally limp.

Notice the bounce as well. His legs also move in tandem with his arm (stiffens up) where I suspect he went unconscious.

0MasterOnYx0 likes this.
  10. KenkaBancho Orange Belt

KenkaBancho
    It does look like it in the gif...

0MasterOnYx0 likes this.
  11. TheBrownGosling Orange Belt

TheBrownGosling
    Nah. It's hard to tell but it didn't look like he was out.

Hematom likes this.
  12. Hematom White Belt

Hematom
    He wasn't out. The doctors would hurl into cage, and also his right arm didn't drop when Hiro let go of him. In previous round Hiro also had similar attempt, and you could tell that Elliot was in that case also completely relaxed, and he also had his eyes closed. I just think that was Elliot's opportunity for resting a bit...

biscuitsbrah likes this.
  13. vindaloo Purple Belt

vindaloo
    looks like he might of just been waiting for the bell or something

14. WalkenWouldOwn Steel Belt

WalkenWouldOwn
    Exactly. He knew how much time was left and that he had it won which is why he was in retreat mode in the last few seconds. Didn't even bother trying to escape.

BenjaminRandalC and biscuitsbrah like this.
  15. WalkenWouldOwn Steel Belt

WalkenWouldOwn
    You are seeing what you want to see, to the point you're literally making things up. You really think if Hiro let him go and he was laying on the ground unconscious Tim still would have been the winner? Why would they do that? A hail mary comeback submission win in the last 10 seconds would be a way better story than the UFC washout winning the tourny and getting a title shot. Tim is likeable and good fighter but I don't think this is the outcome the UFC was hoping for. Hiro the underdog taking out the top 2 seeds would've been better - but he lost fair and square.

biscuitsbrah, Congo66 and Torrid like this.
  16. Torrid Cunning Linguist

Torrid
    Sorry man, I don't care how good your guillotine is, you're not rendering someone unconscious, who is at a decent level, in three seconds.

Tim had already heard the 10 second warning clap and knew the round was over. He was just maintaining composure in an unpleasant position for a few seconds.

Could of been a tight choke though if he had more time, but in the allotted framing of the round, that wasn't going to work.

xmovingparts, dickcheney and lagofala like this.
  17. dickcheney Silver Belt

dickcheney
    Tim was just aware the time was up

It would have been an elaborate cover up. If tim was truly out, hiro and others would have seen it when he got up

xmovingparts and WalkenWouldOwn like this.
  18. JkMMA Blue Belt

JkMMA
    I say the choke was on tight but 3 seconds to late. If it had 30 sec to 1 min left. Hiro would be fighting for belt.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
    WalkenWouldOwn likes this.
  19. Danespina Red Belt

Danespina
    Well Tim would've still been declared the winner whether he was unconscious or not. That's how it works. If the referee doesn't stop the fight by the final horn, that's it.

20. Coolidge She's Got Beef

Coolidge
    Referees have called the fight after the bell sounds on more than one occasion.

biscuitsbrah likes this.