did helio gracie actually invent or create something?

entulado

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
did he?
I'm confused since all the techniques from bjj come from judo or jiu-jitsu.
why do they put him as the creator of a style?

it's like I don't know being a boxer but keeping my hands down and slapping the other guy open palm and suddenly I created a new art called "entulado boxing".
it's just my own way of doing it, I haven't created a style...

Now you're just trolling. If you really want to know though, try google.

This is why Ichy should have been made a better example of.

well he created his kids :redface:

Last edited:
He invented leverage ... and gravity.

it's kinda silly when the gracies claim the techniques he learned were not useful for him because he was so fragile so he adapted them to his weak body, like Jigoro Kano was a big strong dude or the japanase at that time in general.
Mind you I practice bjj for like 10 years, I like the system, the rules, the approach, but the gracies talk too much

2961175776_b341ca0fc5.jpg

He invented the search function.

Shut up.

OP, it seems he tweaked most of what he learned for his body type and for generally smaller people. And did a lot of work towards adapting and refining what he got from Judo and Jiu-Jitsu for more a ground oriented approach.

Shut up.

OP, it seems he tweaked most of what he learned for his body type and for generally smaller people. And did a lot of work towards adapting and refining what he got from Judo and Jiu-Jitsu for more a ground oriented approach.

Right, because judo is all about strength and the Japanese are known for being giants.

Was the non-Gracie Maeda lineage of Jiu Jitsu that wildly different from what Helio is credited as developing? That non-gracie lineage still exists and still finds success today, so it's not like it was obsolete by comparison.

The only thing the 'Gracie style' of Jiu Jitsu really benefited from was having a ton of representation, starting with Helio having a ton of offspring. BJJ generally benefited from Judo moving away from ne-waza with an almost total focus on tachi-waza, as well as most high participation western wrestling styles dropping the submission element because of safety concerns.

The only thing the 'Gracie style' of Jiu Jitsu really benefited from was having a ton of representation, starting with Helio having a ton of offspring. BJJ generally benefited from Judo moving away from ne-waza with an almost total focus on tachi-waza, as well as most high participation western wrestling styles dropping the submission element because of safety concerns.

This is pretty much what I've heard too. Anyone who has done Judo will agree that they place way more emphasis on the stand up part of the fight. The Gracies thought the ground part was as if not more important.

As far as I understand that wasn't always the case for Judo though, but it's something they had to do to get the art accepted into the Olympic games.

yes that's what seems a bit wrong.
the only thing he did is change focus, but essentially kept the same techniques....
and now you have tons of bjj schools everywhere, fighters in ufc say they know bjj.
probably the japanese don't give a shit about it at this point anyway....

Was the non-Gracie Maeda lineage of Jiu Jitsu that wildly different from what Helio is credited as developing? That non-gracie lineage still exists and still finds success today, so it's not like it was obsolete by comparison.

I swear we go through this weekly.

Judo comes from Jiu Jitsu, and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu comes from Judo. However, Judo and BJJ are not the same.

One has an emphasis on throws. One has an emphasis on groundwork/ne-wasa. Due to the emphasis of each, a judoka will typically be better at trips and throws, but a BJJer will be better at ne-wasa.

BJJ also has fewer rules than Judo, allowing for a greater variety and a larger possible skillset than judo (ie. leg locks, wrestling-styled takedowns, etc).

Back