Did Gusta Shatter the Idea That Jones Could Easily Compete At HW?

Both Gus and Bones have the frame and talent to be top level HWs. Depending on how they react to the added mass in terms of speed and cardio, they might even be able to compete for the title.

But it would be no walkover. They could beat most HWs, but could also lose to a fair number of them. When you consider that Kongo almost put Cain down several times you realize that the DANGER is a lot bigger at HW.

Even guys like Nelson and Hunt would be a real fucking menace to Gus and Bones, not to mention Cain and JDS.

HW deserves more respect than it gets. The fighters might not be the most "skilled", but they're the BEST fighters around.

I think Jones can make the top 5 if he's able to bulk up enough. I doubt he'd win the title though

Wow I really can't believe how stupid some people are.

Did Gus recently fight a top 10 heavyweight and got smashed? If there's no comparison between Gus and a decent heavyweight, how can the Gus vs Jones fight be used to judge Jones' potential at heavyweight?

Everyone likes to say Jones got beat when he fought someone his size. But what everyone forget is, Gus is not just another tall fighter. He has a rich boxing background, great physical attributes (strong chin, strength, speed, length) and improved his wrestling drastically with the help of Phil Davis.

Jones would still have his advantages over many heavyweight opponents and he can certainly outpoint almost every heavyweights (except the top few) using his speed and long reach.

If it were JDS landing those shots that Gus tagged him with, Jones would have been out cold in the first.

He could be a top 5 HW, but he'll get mauled by jds or cain

Rothwell would wreck him

I mean, Jones' first opponent where he finally didn't have a dominant height & reach advantage, and here he had the toughest fight of his life. Don't get me wrong, Jones is very talented and may move up someday, but before this fight a lot of people were talking like maybe he could just move up and breeze through everyone at HW, and be up there fighting for the title with Cain and JDS in no time.

Does this skin-of-his-teeth fight with Gustafsson destroy that idea? To me it does. Jones clearly belongs at LHW, I think he gets smashed by guys like Travis Browne and Bigfoot, much less the top of the division like Cain and JDS. What do you think?

1. Google
2. Evander Holyfield

/thread

I still think Jones could do well at HW. At this point, I'd say certainly not champion, but perhaps top 8 or better.

Jones doesn't fair as well against people his own size or bigger, no way would he be as dominant as he is in LHW.

I mean, Jones' first opponent where he finally didn't have a dominant height & reach advantage, and here he had the toughest fight of his life. Don't get me wrong, Jones is very talented and may move up someday, but before this fight a lot of people were talking like maybe he could just move up and breeze through everyone at HW, and be up there fighting for the title with Cain and JDS in no time.

Does this skin-of-his-teeth fight with Gustafsson destroy that idea? To me it does. Jones clearly belongs at LHW, I think he gets smashed by guys like Travis Browne and Bigfoot, much less the top of the division like Cain and JDS. What do you think?

Besides the one lose to Davis three years ago Gus has also looked very dominant in the lhw division and is just as big as Jones. I never thought Jones would "breeze" through most hw's but I do think he would do well and am interested to see in how his hw run would turn out.

So basically his last fight hasn't changed my opinion because I feel it was less of Jones being "Exposed" (for lack of a better word) and More of Alex showing everyone how great he is

TOP 10 HW, maybe TOP 5. But nowhere near the title as long as Cain and JDS fight in the same division. Even guys like Werdum, Barnett, Overeem and Browne (Jones obviously has no issue fighting teammates) would give HW Jones a run for his money. Btw, JDS is the worst possible match-up for Jones. Strong, great hands, great TDD, good footwork.

Rumble did alright @ rumble wieght I'm sure jones could do well, I think the top 5 or so would give him serious problems tho... He would likely get destroyed by Cain, jds amoungst others... Damn it'd even be interesting to see him survive the reems one minute onslaught lol

I still think he could beat 95% of the HWs out there, and given the time to physically get used to it he could beat the top guys like JDS and Cain.

He seems pretty fragile, I don't see him putting on muscle changing a lot. Look at Brandon Vera. Still think that he could do well due to his creativity in the octagon.

He shattered the idea that Jones will easily destroy the new wave of LHW contenders-Gus(rematch), Glover, Phil, Cormier- let alone easily competing at HW.

Perhaps now people will respect the LHW division. Unless, of course, you believe Gus was only that successful due to minimal size difference.

Jones could still fare well at HW, but it definitely shattered the idea that Jones could be HW champ. Cain and JDS would slaughter him, and Barnett likely would as well.

I guess another question is, how would Gus do at HW?

I voted contender, but that being top 5, not actually winning the title.

The idea he would walk to the title has always been ridiculous.

HW is shallow so i can see Jones being decent. Having said that i think he would get smashed by the elite HWs. Theres only a handful of them but i dont think Jones would have much for them at all. JDS for example could probably destroy Jones.

I think Jones would be a top 5 HW, at worst top 10, but I see guys like Cain, JDS and perhaps Big Foot and Overeem as well smashing Jones. I don't think Jones is at the level of Cain and JDS so I doubt he would ever be champ at HW, those 2 are high paced HWs that would likely outwork and outstrike Jones and most likely finish him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back