Did Gusta Shatter the Idea That Jones Could Easily Compete At HW?

Like who?

I don't know if you saw that Mitrione-Shaub fight, but they looked fast as shit. Faster than Gus and Jones did IMO. Those are two beastly athletic dudes. Anyone who thinks Jones could walk right through either of those guys is tripping on acid. Them boys are fuckin huge and quick as hell.

JDS, Cain, Werdum, Mir, and Barnett beat him. Overeem, Nelson, Gonzaga, Hunt, and Browne might be a little closer, but I'd have most of them winning too (Hunt could get sub'd real fast). If he goes to HW I see him beating the Todd Duffee's of the world real easy, but once he gets matched up with some of the Top 10 in the HW division, things will get real tough for Jones.

You seriously would favour Mir over Jones? Mir is an accomplished fighter but Jones is a bad match-up. Too fast to get taken down and better striking/longer reach.

Jones' will never be mid-level. He would be top 10, top 5 if he put on weight carefully and continue to improve his game.

JDS, Cain, Werdum, Mir, and Barnett beat him. Overeem, Nelson, Gonzaga, Hunt, and Browne might be a little closer, but I'd have most of them winning too (Hunt could get sub'd real fast). If he goes to HW I see him beating the Todd Duffee's of the world real easy, but once he gets matched up with some of the Top 10 in the HW division, things will get real tough for Jones.

You realize many of those guys either are smaller then Jones or have been clearly beaten by guys smaller then Jones (like, seriously, Mousasi can take down Hunt and sub him in a minute but Jones couldn't?).

If he goes to HW he'd probably end up being close to 240 at least when bulking up.

I could see Jones being a mid-level HW, tbh.
JDS would kill Bones though.

I don't know if you saw that Mitrione-Shaub fight, but they looked fast as shit. Faster than Gus and Jones did IMO. Those are two beastly athletic dudes. Anyone who thinks Jones could walk right through either of those guys is tripping on acid. Them boys are fuckin huge and quick as hell.

By the power of grayskull.....love that AV...I just saw the original castle Gray Skull for sale at a local garage sale, decent shape too.

You see him beating that fucking giant Todd Duffee easily? He's way better than he gets credit for. You realize he is like 6'3, 250 and shredded right? How does Jones beat him easily? Outwrestle him and sub him? One-shot ko him? We haven't seen Jones 1-shot anybody. I think Duffee beats that ass unless Jones puts on at least another 10 pounds of muscle. That is a huge size/strength difference. Duffee gets alot of shit because he got KOd against russow, but he was beating the fuck out of him before that, and he took the reem fight in japan (reem was on serious juice) and on like 1 weeks notice. Duffee is a badass mofo.

Jones would do well at HW. He'll have the speed advantage, reach advantage and he's already proven to have a great chin, albeit that was at LHW but still.

Can you retards please make up your mind if Jones is too big for LHW and should fight men his own size or if he's too small for HW.

Like seriously, your stupidity goes beyond time and space.

Are we talking boxing or MMA? Since this is the same Jones who was talking about boxing a HW Klitschko brother not too long ago...

I'd still love to see that fight. Watch his rudimentary boxing allow him to be pummeled into a pulp by a real boxer.:icon_lol:

Alexander is a better striker than most heavyweights, and he's certainly faster than most of them. Jones's major problem fight is Cain, which I don't think he wins, but I'd still love to see it. Fights with JDS and Cormier are also hard to gauge (but I think Cain's a worse one for Jon). I'd favor him over everyone else.

This is such a last fight overreaction. If Jones kills Glover, or dispatches Alex easily in a rematch, all of you same people would be overrating him just as quickly.

and he took the reem fight in japan (reem was on serious juice) and on like 1 weeks notice. Duffee is a badass mofo.

If you don't think Duffee was on some serious shit you're badly mistaken. He's got a TRT exemption now btw.

Jones would do well against the guys who are easy to take down and sub, otherwise he'll need to become a point striker and try to ride out decisions, and this hardly seems to be a sustainable strategy at HW based on history. Sylvia sort of pulled it off for a while in the latter part of his reign in a terrible division but that's about it.

Jones would be fine against the Schaubs of the HW division but hes doing nothing against JDS or Cain.

Sure, if he fought today then he wouldn't be more than a mid level HW.

But I assume he'd take some time to bulk up. That should help his wrestling.

But He clearly needs to work on his boxing, particularly his defensive boxing. JDS would kill him.

If you don't think Duffee was on some serious shit you're badly mistaken. He's got a TRT exemption now btw.

He looked downright puny in the Overeem fight compared to his UFC form. If anything he was off his usual dose for that fight.

Jones would do OK. Gustafsson would do better.

I think Junior would KO Jones and Cain would beat him but Jones against someone like Mir I'd probably favor Jones

I'm not sure. The thing is Jones hasn't got a huge punch and some of these bigger HW's will walk through his offence unlike the LHW's and either catch him or take him down.

I think he coul be a contender at HW but never going to win against the top three or four.

95% of HW's are smaller than him,so no.

The only difference is that Gus and Jones cut weight and don't eat Burritos all day.Without cutting weight they'd be around 225 and with the HW's diet they easily be 250 chubby like Cain.

The other difference is they have slim bone structure a lot of these HW's are big guys all round they don't cut because they don't have the body type that would allow it. Look at JDS, Mir, Overeem aren't exactly big because they over eat crap. They are big guys full stop they aren't getting down to LHW unless they cut off a limb. Overeem in the past maybe but post horsemeat it ain't happening. Look at those pictures of JJ when he had extra weight it was all stomach weight he isn't losing muscle cutting to LHW the guy is long and thin and will get out muscled at HW.

Even Nelson would be a pain in the backside for Jones, a heavy hitter who will happily take a ton of punishment to land his bombs and can also grapple. I think he'd win on points but it would not be an easy fight.

Jones is tall and has long arms and legs but most top HW's are just a bigger bone structure.

Sure, if he fought today then he wouldn't be more than a mid level HW.

But I assume he'd take some time to bulk up. That should help his wrestling.

But He clearly needs to work on his boxing, particularly his defensive boxing. JDS would kill him.

He could bulk up for wrestling but he'd always have trouble at HW due to a natural lack of power, which has little to do with adding muscle mass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back