Did Gusta Shatter the Idea That Jones Could Easily Compete At HW?

Yeah, all two of them.......are actually quite a bit shorter then Jones and would probably weigh the same or less as him if he actually took the time to go to HW.

He'd get wrecked. JDS and Cain would both destroy the LHW champ.

Yea because guys like Browne and Bigfoot also have Gus's chin, speed and technique? Gus did well because of he has his chin, defensive wrestling and boxing to complement his height. If Jones fought Cain, a much shorter man, instead of Gus that night, he would get beat.

Using your logic, Jones would lose to Struve and Kendall Grove but beat Cain and Cormier.
Who says Gus has a chin? It's not like Jones has tons of power and is knocking guys out left and right. If your opponent cant knock you out, then a chin isn't really a prerequisite for winning, now is it?>

Lol, no. All assets aren't negated just beacuse you face bigger opponents. Esp if most of these opponents are horrible athletes and less skilled.
Being an athlete only gets you so far.

But Jones would? He's better defensively than Cain and Cormier.
Yeah, suuuure. First decent striker he faces and he gets lit up. Again, I'm really starting to think you don't watch MMA at all, since Jones has rudimentary striking defense, at best.

Yes they are. Gus is imo a better striker than all heavyweights, so saying that Jones can't compete at HW beacuse he had a tough match against him standing up makes absoultely no sense.
I cant tell whose nuts you are on, Jones or Gustafson. Yes, he is a decent striker... when you compare him to Jones. Ever watch K1 or boxing? The majority of the people ein MMA just plain suck at striking, plain and simple.

Yeah, suuuure. First decent striker he faces and he gets lit up. Again, I'm really starting to think you don't watch MMA at all, since Jones has rudimentary striking defense, at best.

I cant tell whose nuts you are on, Jones or Gustafson. Yes, he is a decent striker... when you compare him to Jones. Ever watch K1 or boxing? The majority of the people ein MMA just plain suck at striking, plain and simple.

Lmao here we go with the classic striking fallacies. Please tell us more about K1 strikers before we get gifs of Overeem getting KTFO in his last two fights. Also Gustafsson is the first decent striker Jones has faced? What.

We get it MMA fighters have worse traditional striking than people that purely train in striking disciplines.

I would think so. Looking at the poll it seems like only slightly more than a quarter think Jones would be an elite HW title contender. I am pretty sure it was a hell of a lot more than that before his fight with Gus.

All of Jones previous title opponents save Chael were incredible strikers. The key to Gus's performance wasn't his striking but his speed, chin and reach. Now you tell me how many HW's have all those traits.

I can't see him beating Struve. He doesn't have the KO power to get rid of him and I don't really see any advantages he would have over Struve. I can't imagine him taking Struve down and subbing him.

All of Jones previous title opponents save Chael were incredible strikers. The key to Gus's performance wasn't his striking but his speed, chin and reach. Now you tell me how many HW's have all those traits.

I'll preface this by saying that this is what I noticed before going into Jones vs Gus and as a result, lost all my vCash by betting on Gus.

Jon Jones' title fights:

Cheal Sonnen - came up from MW
Vitor Belfort - came up from MW
Rashad Evans - always considered a small LHW, dropping to MW
Lyoto Machida - would consider him a legit LHW, but dropping to MW
Quinton Jackson - legit LHW but at the tail end of his career, dropped more fights than he's won since losing the LHW belt.
Muaricio Rua - legit LHW but at the tail end of his career, dropped more fights than he's won since losing the LHW belt.

Gus isn't significantly faster than the top HWs. Long, lanky guys are never fast. They can beat you to the punch with the jab because of their reach, but they're not faster strikers. Guys with shorter arms are always faster finishing their combos or drills on the pads because their limbs don't have to travel as far when they're in range.

There are plenty of guys at HW who are just as fast as Gus (given less endurance) at comparable reach. They're just much, much stronger because 1.) they're naturally bigger at fight time and 2.) they're not cutting weight until the day before the fight.

If speed were all that mattered, then any one of the top LHWs could walk into HW and claim the belt? Why don't they? Because size fucking matters.

At HW, Jones gets bullied the same way he bullies most other LHWs. He doesn't have the height and leverage to do what he does to LHW fighters at HW. With one or two exceptions, everyone at HW is just as tall as him, has just as much core and upper body strength and carries significantly more lower body strength.

i hope not, i was really hoping Jones would move to HW right into a title shot vs Cain and be about even $ so i could bet the house on Cain.

There is the optimistic spin too:
Gus could also compete at HW and be a force. Anyone agree?

I never thought Jones could "easily" fight at HW, so nothing was shattered for me.

Gus is naturally a heavyweight
He's to tall for lhw

I thought Jones lost the fight; but I think he was taken off guard because Gustaffson made such a drastic improvement to his wrestling. I don't think anyone saw that coming. Jones did win the last two rounds pretty convincingly.

As far as how well he would do at HW it's hard to say because it's hard to predict how he would carry the extra muscle. I guessed mid tier which has always been my prediction but I wouldn't be shocked if Jones with 20 pounds more muscle could be a top HW.

Back