Did Gusta Shatter the Idea That Jones Could Easily Compete At HW?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Peteyandjia, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Peteyandjia Señor Moderator

Peteyandjia
    I mean, Jones' first opponent where he finally didn't have a dominant height & reach advantage, and here he had the toughest fight of his life. Don't get me wrong, Jones is very talented and may move up someday, but before this fight a lot of people were talking like maybe he could just move up and breeze through everyone at HW, and be up there fighting for the title with Cain and JDS in no time.

Does this skin-of-his-teeth fight with Gustafsson destroy that idea? To me it does. Jones clearly belongs at LHW, I think he gets smashed by guys like Travis Browne and Bigfoot, much less the top of the division like Cain and JDS. What do you think?

2. The5thgod Brown Belt

The5thgod
    I was already doubting the idea of him being successful at HW, but what Gus did to him pretty much sealed the deal for me.

3. Cygnus-X Black Belt

Cygnus-X
    I fail to see how it changes anything. Jon Jones is still favored to beat everyone except the top 2-3 HWs, which is a bit harder to gauge.

Gustafsson is a great fighter and there is very few at HW that could do what he does. He himself could probably do great things at HW.

4. memling Blue Belt

memling
    Not really. Jones could still likely beat a big chunk of the heavyweight division. IMO it is unknown how he would ever match up against the very elite because he would need a few fights in the division first before he'd be ready to go up against them anyways. But with the right matchmaking he could definitely go on a 3 fight streak in heavyweight and be ready to be talked about in the contention for that title. People have to understand that it would still take him a long time(years) to transition properly from 205 to 265 weight wise.

5. Hanri Black Belt

Hanri
    Little bit. I thought he would easily be top 5 HW, but now i have some doubts. I still think he would do well.

6. MikeCandler Black Belt

MikeCandler
    I always felt Jones would struggle at HW regardless, still think he would be a top 10 guy however.

That said I am not sure the Gus fight really changes my thinking, who knows it could have been an off night, maybe Gus is better than some people gave him credit for, who knows really.

7. muscari Green Belt

muscari
    Well, Gus has speed and cardio that no HW has combined. I mean, I could see Jones beating the crap out of middle tier guys at heavyweight, but he's never going to compete with the likes of JDS or Cain.

8. GrindingANARCHY Banned

GrindingANARCHY
    I've always said JDS, Cain, Werdum & DC all beat him at HW. Throw in Barnett as well.
    Would be interesting to see but I doubt he moves up now. Gustafsson has scared him straight, which will be the destruction of his next opponent.

9. AndrewGolota48 Red Belt

AndrewGolota48
    He would have serious trouble standing with Mitrione, seriously. In that particular fight he'd easily win by sub but it still shows how different things would be for him at HW.

10. DetroitRob Green Belt

DetroitRob
    HW is thin on talent so you could argue that he would be a contender but he would no longer be the overwhelming favorite in these fights. I would hate to see Jones vs JDS, he may suffer brain damage from that fight. JDS power and speed would destroy him

11. TehFlame Purple Belt

TehFlame
    I thought Jones would breeze through everyone except guys like JDS/Cain/Overeem. And even then that Jones had a legit chance against them

Now, I'm not so sure lol + am convinced JDS/Cain would absolutely smash Jones.

Jones went from destroying all the top LHWs to looking out of place against someone with similar size/physique. It was very shocking to watch

12. lhx58 Purple Belt

lhx58
    i think he did in terms that Jones could "Easily" do this and that. People was saying that he would be HW with easy.

I think he could be great fighter there also but it would be hard.

13. J-Pac Purple Belt

J-Pac
    Guys like Stipe Miocic, Travis Browne, Overeem, JDS, Cain, HW DC, Barnett, and even Mitrione and Shaub after seeing how quick they looked the other day would probably push his shit in. Jones got roughed up against a guy his own size. All the guys I just mentioned are naturally quite a big bigger than Jones is. Without his size advantage his skills don't look at great. His main advantage is the fact that on the night of the fight he is usually way bigger than his opponent.

The giants at HW would dominate him.

14. sauser Blue Belt

sauser
    No because Gus could easily fight at Heavy. Cain is like 6'1" 230 soft lbs.

15. opie Brown Belt

opie
    he could beat brendan schaub

16. Cygnus-X Black Belt

Cygnus-X
    I hope this is a trolljob.

17. ithinktheymad Brown Belt

ithinktheymad
    I think Big Country would put him to sleep.

18. DarthChen731 Gold Belt

DarthChen731
    I still think he could beat 95% of the HWs out there, and given the time to physically get used to it he could beat the top guys like JDS and Cain.

19. GrindingANARCHY Banned

GrindingANARCHY
    What the fuck? Mitrione & Schaub would beat Jones? Lol what the fuck has Sherdog come too lol.

Jones hate is outrageous

20. wirerat123 Blue Belt

wirerat123
    Nope, Jones and Gus both could be top 5 HW fighters.

It's easy to forget the lack of talent pool at HW when comparing LHW to HW fighters.

Jones and Gus both would likely be title contenders at HW.