Did George Mcfly ever figure out 1955 Marty was his son from the future?

He must have, right? In 1985 it had been 30 years since George and Lorraine saw 1955 Marty/Calvin Klein. That's a long time and memory is tricky. But i still remember stuff from high school (20 years ago in my case) pretty clearly. Some things stick with u. And an alien named Darth Vader from planet Vulcan showing up in your bedroom threatening to melt your brain if u don't ask your future wife to the dance...yeah I'm gonna say George never forgot that. Which means he never forgot marty, the guy who helped him achieve his goal.

Future George may or may not have remembered marty saying goldie wilson would end up mayor, which came true. He may have forgotten what marty looked like and didn't realize he looks exactly like his son. But i gotta think all the weird stuff surrounding those few weeks in 1955 that resulted in george hooking up with his wife to be, would stick in georges mind forever. I think he must have figured it out at some point.

What do u think?

Watch the last couple mins of this video. Pretty good stuff. Apparently the 1st draft of the script had future george looking at a newspaper article about a near riot at the dance, which showed a pic of marty playing guitar on stage, and george put it all together. So the writers and director may have at least had it in mind that george would figure it out.

That's a solid theory there Mulder. +1

Great thread. I've seen this movie many times, but never considered this topic. I mean I thought of some of the stuff like wouldn't his parents remember things like Johnny B Goode, Darth Vadar, and Calvin Klein, but never considered that there might actually be any hint that George figures it out, but I like the idea that he does. Very interesting that the first draft had him see a picture of Marty on stage at the prom.
U know what will never make sense though? George hiring Biff to work around the house for him. I love that george made Biff his bitch. But that's just stupid. "Hey Lorraine, u remember Biff? That guy that tried to rape u that one time? Yeah he's gonna be working around the house now. Around u and the kids. Lol that biff. What a character!"
lmao this always bothered me.
I do think it's funny that Doc is the only one to actually remember Marty's presence in the 50's. He read the letter and used Marty's advice in the future. But everyone else just completely forgets.
I guess that's because Marty tells him he's from the future, time travel being something Doc believes in, and was actively trying to master at the time. During that whole 30 years he knew Marty would eventually be born and they would become friends.
I remember reading how Crispin Glover refused to do the sequels because he didn't like the morals at the end of the first one. Basically, the only thing to really change was that George McFly became successful and rich, and that made everything better. So he (being a commie and all) didn't like how being rich = happy. Then they used prosthetics in the sequel and he sued them :p
That's funny. I can understand that criticism. I think what they were going for was that instead of Lorraine falling in love with George because of the Florence Nightingale effect, he learns to be confident and charming, and saves her from Biff, so that leads to them having a better relationship/marriage. Still weird that they have the exact same kids and exact same house though.
They also named their son after him, which is just weird.
Especially since he's their second son. Did Lorraine forget how nice she thought the name Marty was for a few years then remembered before the birth of her second son?

Last edited:
The thing that I thought that was kind of messed up was that only Marty knew of the two time lines. Imagine going away for a weekend and then coming back and everything you remember hadn't happened. All that you remember was gone. And too everyone else, you would have seemed perfectly normal until you spent a weekend hanging around with a much older and strange unmarried nutjob.

Interesting... never even thought of all of this
I love the series though

#freebanchan

I don't think so. The brain has a lot of strange self defence mechanisms to protect us from thoughts that are damaging to our psyche. It's why some dudes are oblivious to the fact that their children are not reall theirs sometime.

I think George would have a mental block that would prevent him from associating his son Marty with Marty Klein.

I heard that there was a deleted scene where Lorraine sucks off Marty while he's passed out.

Apparently they had to delete it to keep the PG rating.

giphy.gif

U know what will never make sense though? George hiring Biff to work around the house for him. I love that george made Biff his bitch. But that's just stupid. "Hey Lorraine, u remember Biff? That guy that tried to rape u that one time? Yeah he's gonna be working around the house now. Around u and the kids. Lol that biff. What a character!"

I think if he figured it out, it would have potentially created a paradox unraveling the very fabric of the universe..You raise a great point. Of course, we all remember stuff from years ago if it was significant enough and that whole situation- you're son grows up to be exactly like the person who helped you get together with your wife- in appearance, manner, etc. is a tough one to go with. But think of it like this- no photographic evidence of him, only knew him for a matter of, what, a week? While they would always remember his involvement in that crucial moment in their lives, I'm sure, there's little to indicate that they would be able to recall much about him otherwise- there's people who I hung out with in college briefly and if I didn't have Facebook to keep up with him, I probably wouldn't remember a whole lot about them either.

Not to mention that by the time George saves Lorraine from Biff, Marty has already become an after-thought in her mind as she's all about George and the use of the name Marty is easily explained- as their interaction with Marty their influences their decision to name their son Marty.

Would you remember the guy your future wife was crazy about, who got the two of you together?

Maybe , but it would seem so crazy that wouldn't even consider that a possibility. At best youd be all " Man , he looks just Marty what's his name " and probably assume she cheated on you. The other option ends you up in a straight jacket.

The Alien stuff is probably written off as a dream / dejavu or maybe a premonition.

This whole bloody movie never makes any sense. Because Marty wouldn't remember his now changed childhood because he never lived it, but his brother and sister lived it and they'd have memories of Marty living it with them growing up. They grew up well off with a successful father, would have had a whole different upbringing, memories, vacations etc. Basically Marty would have to act like he woke up with total amnesia and remembers nothing of his whole life. But this new reality Marty still ended up with the same GF? Their relationship would be totally different in this new reality as well.

So if his father knew his future some was a time traveller the father wouldn't know what his life was before Marty changed it. He would have lived his life normally post-Marty and become successful writer. And if Marty was born and raised in that environment he very likely would have never met Doc Brown, and thus wouldn't have time travelled in the new reality.

Time travel like this can't happen.

Excellent points of course. But time travel in movies never makes sense.

Back to the Future is just too much of an excellent, wholly entertaining movie to even gripe about such things though.

Great thread and interesting viewpoints but with observations like this, I must give the standard "It's a fictional movie" reply.

He must have, right? In 1985 it had been 30 years since George and Lorraine saw 1955 Marty/Calvin Klein. That's a long time and memory is tricky. But i still remember stuff from high school (20 years ago in my case) pretty clearly. Some things stick with u. And an alien named Darth Vader from planet Vulcan showing up in your bedroom threatening to melt your brain if u don't ask your future wife to the dance...yeah I'm gonna say George never forgot that. Which means he never forgot marty, the guy who helped him achieve his goal.

Future George may or may not have remembered marty saying goldie wilson would end up mayor, which came true. He may have forgotten what marty looked like and didn't realize he looks exactly like his son. But i gotta think all the weird stuff surrounding those few weeks in 1955 that resulted in george hooking up with his wife to be, would stick in georges mind forever. I think he must have figured it out at some point.

What do u think?

Watch the last couple mins of this video. Pretty good stuff. Apparently the 1st draft of the script had future george looking at a newspaper article about a near riot at the dance, which showed a pic of marty playing guitar on stage, and george put it all together. So the writers and director may have at least had it in mind that george would figure it out.

Just rewatched this last night since the plebes I'm living with haven't seen the trilogy. I'm pretty sure they put those pieces together so someone on sherdog would make a thread about it. Honestly, I've never really given it much thought.

Idk man. The name of georges book at the end is A Match Made In Space.

Fuck if I know , I guess its whatever you want it to be. All I know that about half the time looking back on stuff that happened years ago , I'm not 100 percent sure if it actually happened or I dreamed it at some point. The memory is a weird thing.

I love everything Back to The Future so thanks for sharing. I think the idea of George figuring out his son came back is novel however i raise you this.

Do you think he feels Marty came back to directly change his and their familes lives? Or that the reasons he came back were unknown and he had to make sure that he and Lorraine recondile and get married before he returned to the future?

Back