Did DC take it easy on Anderson at 200 or just play it safe?

Did DC take it easy on Anderson at UFC 200?

• Total voters
People need to watch this fight again

DC doesn't take it easy on him, but Anderson is why nothing much happens

When DC gets him down Anderson locks down his legs to prevent him from passing, defends the ground and pound well, and is more or less content to just lose rounds on bottom while taking no damage, and DC is content to let him, because he's winning

Basically Anderson took the fight on no notice, knew no one expected him to win and so came in with the goal of not getting hurt, while DC just wanted to win and didn't really care about how he did it

The narrative that DC was stalling or taking it easy is false. He was trying to win, but not worried about a stoppage, while Anderson was just trying to collect a payday without getting hurt too bad

And fair enough on both their parts. They both took a dangerous fight on no notice to save a card I'm not gonna shit on them for their strategies in that type of situation

I have no problem with Anderson wanting to avoid getting killed in that situation and I have no problem with DC just wanting an easy win, so he could keep fresh and look forward to guys like Rumble and Jones

He did. That company shill will probably drag the Lesnar fight out a little longer too. I don' t think he will blast him in the opening round, but will keep it going a little.

DC did what he had to do to get the win without the risk of getting Sonnen'd from the bottom, or the risk of standing with arguably the most dangerous striker in the history of the sport - even if he was over the hill. DC is a good guy so maybe he did hold back from the GnP. Anderson saved the card and DC got the deserved win. I'm good with that.

I think it was combination of the two, with the added factor of UFC 200 turning into a complete headfuck for DC. Good on both men for saving the show.

Although knowing what we know now, there's a high level of irony in Jones popping for drugs, then being replaced by Anderson. DC may as well have fought Jones.

Exactly. Another example of a true fighter who didn't pull out of a fight when challenged either. Guy has confidence he can beat anyone on the roster and knew he put the work in.

That's why I question Ortega. Yea, he didn't have to fight anybody. But, if he were truly prepared and ready to go, and you believe in your skills, why pull out?

it was a short notice fight and Anderson has many unique ways of beating people, DC did what needed doing and got the W. He didnt have a camp based around fighting Anderson so why risk it right?

Not sure about taking it easy but didn't take any risks and just made sure he got the win. Anderson just tying him up trying to neutralize him and wait for the stand up was a big part of it too. If Anderson had tried to escape there would have been more GnP opportunities.

I think both guys played it fairly safe, Anderson hanging onto half guard limiting damaging and DC happy to ride out a decision rather than trying to advance position.

Lol @ people thinking that a fighter goes easy on another fighter in a pro mma fight
How long have you been watching MMA that you don't know it happens all the time.

IF a fighter is comfortably up on the cards and feels no real threat of loss they often coast to a decision by taking it easy on their opponent and not pushing the action, particularly if the opponent seems to have given up on trying to win.

Why can't the answer be both?

If he really wanted to stop Anderson he could've done, or at least tried to. He clearly was content to just win a decision without doing any real damage.
I lost respect for d.c. after that fight. I understand it, but I didn’t like it. I’m glad d.c. has done courageous and admirable stuff since then to erase that bs

Its ok for anderson fans to think anderson wasn't trying in a title fight that hes losing, but not ok to think cormier wasn't trying in a non title match that he'll still comfortably win???

giphy.gif

It was UFC 200, not the fight night rubbish card. Everyone wanted to be on the card to get paid and gain exposure. Silva gave him a favour, it was nothing special to return the favour

That is how I think it went.
Not sure about taking it easy but didn't take any risks and just made sure he got the win.

Agree. But I can't help but wonder if that was done more so because he feared taking an unnecessary risk or if he was being kind to the guy who unwisely allowed for DC to remain on the UFCs great card on paper of all time.

Cormier carried Anderson in that fight pro-wrestling style. It was clear as day.
He did so because without Anderson DC would've lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nobody wanted a piece of DC, everyone turned him down.

DC feared for his life.

Cormier carried Anderson in that fight pro-wrestling style. It was clear as day.
He did so because without Anderson DC would've lost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nobody wanted a piece of DC, everyone turned him down.

That begs a question of betting. If a fighter intentionally doesn't finish a fight they are intentionally controlling the betting outcome. If he tells anyone that before hand and they bet is that legal?

Back