Did Conor prove to you that he could hang with Golovkin and Canelo

It's crazy you think the guy who is regarded as having one of, if not, the highest ring IQ in the sport, wasn't aware that he was not cutting the ring off. I simply can't fathom it from everything we've ever seen and heard from May.
You think Roger or his Dad are going over the tape with him the next day saying- "See, you weren't cutting the ring off from him- you just followed him around." May- "you're right.... I can't believe I forgot to cut the ring off!"

And like before, i'll take May's ring IQ over yours.
Mayweather said what he would do before the fight and did exactly that to be honest. He was giving Conor problems by just walking him down and wasn't afraid of the power so he felt no need to cut the ring off. The guy changed his tactics at least 3 times in the fight. How anyone is debating his ring IQ is beyond me.

His punch just isn't respectable. You could hear the difference in power between Floyd and Conor, and Floyd isn't exactly a power puncher at 154. Granted some of that can be attributed to accuracy but McGregor really doesn't put his body into his shots.

Conor's punch could get respect from a shot fighter at 140 I guess.

Yes his shots didn't have any weight put into them.

In Conor's defense though, maybe he was told to not overextend the punches vs. Floyd and he took that too seriously. Finetuning is quite a challenge when you've practically never boxed before

Given Floyd TKO'd him, a guy who isn't known for power, then I think it's fair to say GGG and Canelo would knock him senseless a lot earlier. If he fights Paulie however, well that would be interesting

Prettyf hilarious that the best MMA fighter in the world needs to fight a retired boxer who lost 4 of his last 8 fights for it to be interesting. I still say Paulie tunes his ass up if it happens.

It's crazy you think the guy who is regarded as having one of, if not, the highest ring IQ in the sport, wasn't aware that he was not cutting the ring off. I simply can't fathom it from everything we've ever seen and heard from May.
You think Roger or his Dad are going over the tape with him the next day saying- "See, you weren't cutting the ring off from him- you just followed him around." May- "you're right.... I can't believe I forgot to cut the ring off!"

And like before, i'll take May's ring IQ over yours.

I think you seem to be under the impression that fighters are constantly thinking when they're in the ring. A lot of what they do is on reflex. I doubt that Roger or Sr are going to be talking about it the next day purely because he isn't fighting again, but if he were a younger guy doing that - then they would absolutely be saying that. It's daft to think that someone who has been a counter fighter his whole life would be pressure fighting intentionally, as opposed to just not knowing how to do it.

I can kind of believe that Mayweather didn't do it on purpose. Pacquiao as great as he was, never learned how to properly cut off the ring through his career.

If there's anybody I would watch Conor fight in boxing, it's Aldo. At least that will be competitive. By the looks of it, Aldo seems better at this point. Here he's sparring Mikey Garcia, not an undersized, out of shape, retired fighter. And he looks decent, granted Mikey is obviously going easy. According to the guys talking in the background, Mikey said Aldo hits as hard as Maidana.

Certainly did enough to proove that Canelo wouldn't KO him in the first two rounds. Bloody ODH... What a subjective statement by him.

I think you seem to be under the impression that fighters are constantly thinking when they're in the ring. A lot of what they do is on reflex. I doubt that Roger or Sr are going to be talking about it the next day purely because he isn't fighting again, but if he were a younger guy doing that - then they would absolutely be saying that. It's daft to think that someone who has been a counter fighter his whole life would be pressure fighting intentionally, as opposed to just not knowing how to do it.

I've done my fair share of sparring both thai and boxing, so i understand and agree your point- I know you cant think about a lot of what your doing punch wise, otherwise its too late. But we're talking about gameing/ring IQ.
It's daft you think May doesn't make calculations and adjustments in the ring during a fight- its exactly what he's done over a lot of his career.

No. Both Canelo and G would end Conor's career. If he comes back for another boxing match, it will be against Paulie.
an in-shape Paulie would piece him up too. I think the best boxing match for Conor in terms of both winning probability and money is Ricky Hatton. He's only a few years retired, and they could make a turnaround redemption story for him that makes for compelling 24/7 episodes. Plus who doesnt love a good British vs Irish grudge match.

I can kind of believe that Mayweather didn't do it on purpose. Pacquiao as great as he was, never learned how to properly cut off the ring through his career.

If there's anybody I would watch Conor fight in boxing, it's Aldo. At least that will be competitive. By the looks of it, Aldo seems better at this point. Here he's sparring Mikey Garcia, not an undersized, out of shape, retired fighter. And he looks decent, granted Mikey is obviously going easy. According to the guys talking in the background, Mikey said Aldo hits as hard as Maidana.

I still think Aldo's defense is pretty bad, as evidenced by his last fight, and he can suffer from cardio issues as well. His offensive boxing has looked pretty good in his fights though. Ironically, these characteristics also apply to Connor, IMO.

Also, he got pretty tired after three rounds, and says to Robert that when Mikey is pressuring him he gets tired much quicker.

But he has only been working with them for about a month. I hope he stays with them and continues to make strides. And man is ESechback annoying.

Could Conor have a career in professional boxing? Perhaps, that's debatable. But in order to be competitive, he'd have to switch completely all the way over to training boxing only. He'd have to work his way up the ranks, fighting boxing unknowns for nothing, to gain valuable boxing experience before he would even be ready to challenge a Canelo/GGG. Problem is he is Conor McGregor, MMA super-star, why would he give up all that to fight for pennies to build up his boxing cred?

In fact, the only reason Mayweather McGregor happened was it was good business proposition for *both* parties.

Floyds idea of an entertaining fight was to carry Connor throughout the 9 rounds by letting him land his shitty jab

GGG's idea of entertainment is to take peoples heads off in the opening bell
... GGG likes the drama show, but Conor wouldn't be able to keep up.

an in-shape Paulie would piece him up too. I think the best boxing match for Conor in terms of both winning probability and money is Ricky Hatton. He's only a few years retired, and they could make a turnaround redemption story for him that makes for compelling 24/7 episodes. Plus who doesnt love a good British vs Irish grudge match.

Grudge match aside, let him Pavlik. Closer in weight than Fatton.

Back